Jerry playing a Tweed Twin w/Merle, April 74' ???

Re: Jerry playing a Tweed Twin w/Merle, April 74' ???

Postby jackevorkian » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Still curious about the guitar. That is not Wolf. It either has binding, or a top that is different from that back and sides.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tatittle » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:20 pm

You can see the guitar is Wolf in the pic taken from the rear of the stage (with Jerry turning to his right), and it looks the same as the original picture re: maple top etc.
tatittle
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby jackevorkian » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:40 pm

tatittle wrote:You can see the guitar is Wolf in the pic taken from the rear of the stage (with Jerry turning to his right), and it looks the same as the original picture re: maple top etc.

You're right. I stand corrected.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Diggey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:47 pm

So I understand, are you referring to the amp directly behind Jerry in that picture to right as we look at it? I always thought the Tweed Twin would have staggered speakers.
Diggey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tatittle » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:47 pm

The earliest ones did not stagger. I think they did start staggering them later in the run, and the RI look to be staggered.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg
tatittle
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:27 pm

tatittle wrote:You can see the guitar is Wolf in the pic taken from the rear of the stage (with Jerry turning to his right), and it looks the same as the original picture re: maple top etc.

The rear view pic is a different show from October '74, from the link waldo posted. But in the original April pic showing the tweed, Jerry is playing Wolf imho.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jenkins » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:45 am

So is Garcia playing through the tweed or no?
In the pic that's wider you can see that double stack, which is jer's cabs but I don't see the twin/Mac combo anywhere.

And this 74 run was called legion of Mary at the time, or no? I don't have access to any of those shows right now but I remember the 74 Jerry shows he had a much different tone than he did with the GD through the wall, much more like his '72 GD tone when he was stil using the power section on the fenders.

So could he have been using that tweed? And the other fender in the other pic too?

Seems like a very strange choice for a keyboard fill, this is 74 I would think they would have much better options than a guitar amp, especially with all the macs the GD owned.
And the amp is loaded with JBL's, seems like Garcia pretty much ALWAYS used JBL, that makes me think it is his amp.

What do you guys think?
If it is the keyboard fill then where are his twins?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby Jon S. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:03 am

It's not something I shirk,
But today we're closed at work,
And I'm sitting home in the cold rain and snow.

Time soon to crank up the Mc - or perhaps, in honor or this thread, my Cage one-off tweed preamp/brownface power section combo. :cool:

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:25 am

We're not impressed up here, Jon. We with our 150+" snowfall so far this winter and -3 degrees this morning..... I reported to work as usual during our official blizzard here last Thursday....
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Jon S. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:40 am

Yeah, but 5" in Virginia is like 35" by you! :oops:

I love upstate New York, by the way. Beautiful country!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:10 pm

jenkins wrote:So is Garcia playing through the tweed or no?
I'd say that it's very much in doubt, and that the perspective gained from the October 74 pic gallery implies that Jerry's stacked SF Twins are just to the right of frame in the April pic with Billy and the tweed. And those cables coming from across the stage are a smoking gun.
jenkins wrote:In the pic that's wider you can see that double stack, which is jer's cabs but I don't see the twin/Mac combo anywhere.
Which pic? I don't see one like that. He apparently only used the Twin+Mac for GD shows at that time.

jenkins wrote:And this 74 run was called legion of Mary at the time, or no?
No, it would have been billed as Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders. The LoM name came into use when Ron Tutt joined at the beginning of '75.

jenkins wrote:Seems like a very strange choice for a keyboard fill, this is 74 I would think they would have much better options than a guitar amp, especially with all the macs the GD owned.
Not really that strange to me. Even today, I know some outstanding keyboardists that prefer guitar combos as their stage/rehearsal amps.

Come to think of it, those Mesa combos in that one Reconstruction '79 pic may have both been Merl's keyboard monitors...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jenkins » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:22 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
jenkins wrote:So is Garcia playing through the tweed or no?
I'd say that it's very much in doubt, and that the perspective gained from the October 74 pic gallery implies that Jerry's stacked SF Twins are just to the right of frame in the April pic with Billy and the tweed. And those cables coming from across the stage are a smoking gun.
jenkins wrote:In the pic that's wider you can see that double stack, which is jer's cabs but I don't see the twin/Mac combo anywhere.
Which pic? I don't see one like that. He apparently only used the Twin+Mac for GD shows at that time.

jenkins wrote:And this 74 run was called legion of Mary at the time, or no?
No, it would have been billed as Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders. The LoM name came into use when Ron Tutt joined at the beginning of '75.

jenkins wrote:Seems like a very strange choice for a keyboard fill, this is 74 I would think they would have much better options than a guitar amp, especially with all the macs the GD owned.
Not really that strange to me. Even today, I know some outstanding keyboardists that prefer guitar combos as their stage/rehearsal amps.

Come to think of it, those Mesa combos in that one Reconstruction '79 pic may have both been Merl's keyboard monitors...

Nice post TS, I was talking about that second pic Waldo linked to & I was looking at wrong, those are obviously Garcia's stacked twins stacked on their side, I thought they were just cabs & I was like wth is going on on this pic?
So the twins are Garcia's so that middle amp must be a keyboard fill. Thinking back After hearing you say you knew keys players that have used guitar amps in the past one of my favorite keys player to play with always used a vintage deluxe reverb & had it mic'd for the PA.

It's interesting to see the different setups he had for the Garcia band, that's obviously not the jGB but you know what I'm saying. I would think that Jer would want the same amp reinforcing the keys for him that merl was using to amplify his keys on his side, this would give the most accurate representation of what was being played. Is that what they were doing? Is there another tweed on merl's side or is he using a different amp? If there isn't another tweed I wonder what made them land on that particular amp? I wonder who owned that amp merl or Garcia, or the GD I suppose could've owned it too.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone