Jerry playing a Tweed Twin w/Merle, April 74' ???

Jerry playing a Tweed Twin w/Merle, April 74' ???

Postby lovetoboogie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26 am

lovetoboogie
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: Jerry playing a Tweed Twin w/Merle, April 74' ???

Postby jackevorkian » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:27 pm

With JBL's nonetheless. What guitar is he playing?
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mgbills » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:07 pm

The body looks thick like a Les Paul.

My work monitor sucks though.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby tatittle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Somewhere in my travels I heard Jerry indeed had a Tweed Twin and used it often at home/studio..the quote was "it was always on".

The guitar doesn't look like it has a carved top like a lp, I was thinking Wolf first glance.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Jimaroe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Looks like Wolf v.1 w/ Peacock headstock to me
Jimaroe
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 pm

lovetoboogie wrote:Image

Not entirely sure that Jerry is using that amp. The two cables coming out of it are very obviously going across Kahns speaker cab to the other side of the stage. This could just be a keyboard monitor on this side of the stage. A wider shot would rule out any Twin Reverbs on stage.

The tweed practice amps he used were much smaller.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:13 pm

waldo041 wrote:Not entirely sure that Jerry is using that amp.
~waldo

+1 That's what I was thinking. The angle of the shot might have cut out Jerry's amp.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby jackevorkian » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:38 pm

tatittle wrote:Somewhere in my travels I heard Jerry indeed had a Tweed Twin and used it often at home/studio..the quote was "it was always on".

I think it was Kimock who made that comment. Was it a tweed Twin or a Harvard?
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tatittle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:10 pm

I remember it being a Twin, but it could have been misquoted or an error somewhere. I've seen the pics of the Harvard, Champs backstage etc., and never a Twin, but I don't have much experience researching Garcia's equip. I likely took note of the quote bc of the larger amp--I own little class A tweeds but not any larger ones. Good point about the inputs, I cant think of a reason the have them coming across like that if JG was plugged in, especially 2. On the other hand it seems like its right behind him, and a tweed would be a bizarre choice for a monitor.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:07 am

The date I was quoted for this pic is 9/2/74, however Billy is on the drums in the full pic, and Paul Humphrey succeeded him in August of that year. Who is the guy in the hat? Gotta wonder if there was a Fender Reverb unit somewhere out of view...

Merl Saunders, not Merle Haggard or Merle Watson.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 am

There is a full size Leslie cabinet beside the tweed, (with JK's Bassman>McIntosh atop it which is doubtless going to the pair of Dual Showman cabs behind him and BK). There's your keyboard monitor.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 am

tigerstrat wrote:There is a full size Leslie cabinet beside the tweed, (with JK's Bassman>McIntosh atop it which is doubtless going to the pair of Dual Showman cabs behind him and BK). There's your keyboard monitor.

I think the Leslie is for the Organ, and that Tweed could still be for the keyboard.

In this link the stage setup is almost identical to this setup, but the tweed is replaced by another amp. Probably the same thing going on in this April 74 photo.

http://musicpictures.com/zoom/7832813/

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 am

That certainly places things in perspective. I'm a more on board with the keyboard monitor theory now. I wonder what the amp with the chrome upper-back corner hardware is that replaced the tweed? Great gallery from 10/13/74!

waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:There is a full size Leslie cabinet beside the tweed, (with JK's Bassman>McIntosh atop it which is doubtless going to the pair of Dual Showman cabs behind him and BK). There's your keyboard monitor.

I think the Leslie is for the Organ, and that Tweed could still be for the keyboard.

In this link the stage setup is almost identical to this setup, but the tweed is replaced by another amp. Probably the same thing going on in this April 74 photo.

~waldo

...and one more thing to note: power tubes!
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:21 am

tigerstrat wrote:That certainly places things in perspective. I'm a more on board with the keyboard monitor theory now. I wonder what the amp with the chrome upper-back corner hardware is that replaced the tweed? Great gallery from 10/13/74!

waldo041 wrote:

~waldo

...and one more thing to note: power tubes!

Yes, and JBL K120's in 74!

~waldo
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:24 am

tigerstrat wrote: I wonder what the amp with the chrome upper-back corner hardware is that replaced the tweed?

On second look, what I thought was upper corner hardware looks more like something is laying on top of the amp. Could this be a brownface 4x10 Fender Concert?
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Jerry Tone