to stratoblaster or to not stratoblaster

Re: to stratoblaster or to not stratoblaster

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 pm

milobender wrote: I regularly put both the Buffer and the Blaster in the same guitar, it adds a nice variety, and I definitely get hair when the gain is turned up over about 30 - 40%.

I have been using the blaster more and more Brian - sometimes to drive my Q Tron when it sags or just for some volume on the fly but lately as a lead tone instead of relying on a stomp box
TI4-1009 wrote:I got a Waldo buffer for my SG/Wolf project, but I also have the GGG blaster coming. Not sure yet which- or both. If I go with the blaster I'm pretty sure I'd want it switched so I could turn it off for straight SG stuff if I wanted to, and also undecided about leaving the pot in the cavity or drilling yet another hole for it.

For those of you that have both (I have the Waldo in my Tiger), how do they sound different? I'm guessing you can get more "hair" with the extra gain of the blaster?

This is my set up
Bottom most knob controls the Blaster gain
A toggle controls it off or on - although my vol knob is wired as a push/pull for it
I think you might save some battery life also if you can turn the blaster off
It gets loud man - made my speakers jump a few times
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Re: to stratoblaster or to not stratoblaster

Postby milobender » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi Jedi,

I use the blaster a lot myself, but mainly for a little variation in tone/coloration... and I use it for leads as suggest too...

To clarify on Jedi's controls... one toggle switches between the Wald Buffer and the Blaster; one toggle switches between close-to-unity-gain for the blaster, or adjustable gain (the lowest knob); and the Volume pull up switch bypasses all preamps and turns it into a regular passive setup...

I've never noticed the blaster using more power than the buffer, one or the other is always on unless you put it in passive mode... and, when you unplug the guitar signal out cable, it disconnects the battery... :smile: :smile: :smile:
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone