Strings - Vinci

Strings - Vinci

Postby wfrobinette » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:31 pm

I used Vinci sets for years and love them and am down to my last set.

Anyone try the Thomas Vinci sets yet? Are they the real deal?

http://www.thomasvincistrings.com/Guita ... s/2032.htm
wfrobinette
tiger
tiger

Re: Strings - Vinci

Postby Searing75 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Just bought a few packs. Have yet to try them. I am just going to play it off that they are vincis and that will be enough to pull any wool over my eyes. I will think I must sound more like Jerry! :lol: ignorance is bliss.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby DHM » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 pm

One of the ways I waste my money is to order strings I cant find locally...and shortly after I read these posts I ordered 5 sets of Vincis...2 acoustic (.012s of 80-20 and PB), and 3 electric sets....010s and .011s...so far, I put a set of 10s on my tele and the PB acoustic strings on a D18.... and I'm pleased...I cant say how Deadhead authentic they are...but they have a nice feel, stay in tune, and record well...no connection to the manufacturer but so far a happy customer.....

Don

Anchorage AK
DHM
tiger
tiger

Postby Jon S. » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 am

My take is we're fortunate today to have more string options available to us than in any prior era. Whether a given musician who used a particular type of strings in the '80's or '90's today would still be using them in 2014 or would have experimented with or moved to new brands is intrinsically incapable of a definitive answer. I can speak only for myself. I've settled presently on Mangans. I used D'Addario literally for decades and they were fine but when I tried my first set of Mangans, I preferred them. And I'm still trying a different string types here and there - "you never know ...!" Thanks for the info. on the new Vincis. I'm open to copping a set!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby NSP » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:11 am

I've been a loyal user of DR Tite Fit EH11's for ages, but I ordered a couple sets of these Vinci 11's and I have to say that I like them. I'll play a gig with them tomorrow for the real test. The DR's seem to have a bit more sparkle, but the Vinci's have a really nice punch to them and stay in tune really well.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby waldo041 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:47 am

In 1953, Amelio Vinci revolutionized the music industry when he invented the first automated string-winding machine, which enhanced winding accuracy and created strings that deliver the truest sound possible. Today, more manufacturers are still using the same technology that Vinci created nearly 50 years ago.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16607/lot/31/

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15537/lot/62/

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Lot 62

A Jerry Garcia small flight case filled with his spare guitar stings and picks, 1970s
Sold for US$ 16,800 inc. premium

Yowza! :drink:

P.S. My Jerrycaster now has a Wald Electronics buffer. :D
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby tatittle » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:49 pm

four early '70s-era "Steal Your Face" stickers are affixed to front as are a few airline stickers, one noting a date of "May 7, 1977

Of all the dates that could have been there...this one? Providence rears its mysterious head again?
tatittle

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Sparechaynge » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Waldo, what are the carbon fiber picks in the center of that image?
Is this a 70's bass or a 00's PC...or a Moon Lander? (It's a moon lander) - Tigerstrat
Sparechaynge
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tatittle » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:44 pm

It says in the caption that the box was sitting as is since the late 1970's, when it was last used on tour. If that is accurate they may not be carbon fiber etc., as it was not really around back then or very expensive as far as I know (of course that is before my time so I could be wrong). In any case, there are a couple mixed in that certainly don't look like cf. I noticed it looks like some of the black ones are the bigger rounded triangular type like bass players often used (not quite the Hendrix style). My guess is they are nylon like Dunlop jazz picks (which are also black and red typically I think)...they certainly don't look like Fender extra heavy composition.
tatittle

Postby JustinJohn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:56 pm

I sure do luv dem picks!

8) 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by JustinJohn on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Just sayin, the more that link gets posted the less likely they will stick around a little longer. :peas:

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tatittle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 am

I didn't see the pic with the gross packs before, I am guessing you are asking about the 3 loose picks with a picture of a boat or crown that clearly say carbon fiber. That lot is from the 1990's, unlike the box of strings. No idea.
tatittle

Postby Sparechaynge » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:36 am

Tatittle Said:
I didn't see the pic with the gross packs before, I am guessing you are asking about the 3 loose picks with a picture of a boat or crown that clearly say carbon fiber. That lot is from the 1990's, unlike the box of strings. No idea."

Yeah, the loose ones that look like an old Modulus neck.
Is this a 70's bass or a 00's PC...or a Moon Lander? (It's a moon lander) - Tigerstrat
Sparechaynge
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JustinJohn » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:35 pm

Has anybody messed around with these picks before, the Telefunken 2mm graphite:

http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.co ... -picks.php

???
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Next