buffer and blaster???

Re: buffer and blaster???

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:23 pm

I use a Blaster OR Buffer switch/approach... that way you can get both sounds. "isn't as good", may be... but it's not bad, just different sounding... I like the difference myself :smile:
IO Custom Guitars
http://www.9mileskid.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tatittle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:55 pm

I thought the stratoblaster had a buffer in it already? If so, a buffer alone would be different, but depending on the buffers, both would pretty much be stratoblaster alone.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby tcsned » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:03 pm

tatittle wrote:I thought the stratoblaster had a buffer in it already? If so, a buffer alone would be different, but depending on the buffers, both would pretty much be stratoblaster alone.

It's an either or thing. My guitar has them both, before we start playing I try them both and see what sounds right and go with it. It's been about 50/50 so far and I don't know yet why one is better sounding than another at any given place.
tcsned

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:56 pm

I thought the stratoblaster had a buffer in it already? If so, a buffer alone would be different, but depending on the buffers, both would pretty much be stratoblaster alone.

The Stratoblaster is just a one transistor amplifier... it's got a higher impedance output than the Wald Buffer and the buffer doesn't have an adjustable gain pot, it is permanently just a bit above unity. They are actually quite different... or it wouldn't make sense to put them both in the same guitar 'o) :smile: :smile: :smile: There are others here that can speak to the mechanics a lot better than I can though.
IO Custom Guitars
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:19 am

waldo041 wrote:That diagram allows for the Blaster to be placed after the OBEL before the Volume pot->Output. Or it can be placed before the OBEL. You can also place it inbetween the Volume pot and Output jack as they are wired stock. Not sure how, or if, the 25k pot will have any adverse effect to the blaster. It was designed to have a 250k pot(high impedance) in front of it. I am pretty sure it will be just fine though.

Here is another option if someone wanted to use one or the other by themselves. Just remember you'll want a 1meg pulldown resistor from the output to ground for the blaster.

~waldo

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is there a three-position switch that you could use to get either the buffer, the blaster- or just the straight signal passing through (no buffer, no blaster?) Some kind of on-on-on switch where the center position just passes the signal through?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby mgbills » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:25 am

You read my mind T! I was just signing on to post that question. I prefer it as an either/or device. I can't plot it at work, but maybe a 3P/DT, like one uses on a true-bypass pedal.

I like that idea. Up=Blaster. Down=OBEL.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:43 pm

I don't suppose something like this could be made to work? I think it's like a 4PDT.

http://www.caesound.com/Vol-pot_bypass_wiring_1a.pdf

But "Aye, there's the rub":

"Adding a bypass switch can create new problems. Bypassing the preamp with a switch and loading the pickups with the 25K pot is going to darken the tone again. We've developed a solution to this dilemma. CAE now offers a custom dual section volume control pot that has one section for the passive value of 500K ohms and an active section for 25K ohms to work with the preamp.
The wiring is a little trickier, but it is not too much more complex than the bypass switch alone. Basically, we just add the pot inside the preamp circuit so it is switched out in the passive mode and the stock value replaces the hard wire jumper."

I forgot about having the 25k volume pot with no active electronics. The waters just got murkier....
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:35 am

So- hearing no other way out, I'm thinking staying active and just having the buffer/blaster switch is the safest way to go at this point.

To get the passive "signal only" option it looks like you would need either a more complicated switch (or a bypass switch before the buffer/blaster switch) and go to a 500k pot for passive. You would need two different volume pots (25/500-ideally ganged or concentric like the CAE pot or the Tiger/Wolf tone pot). Might play with that later on, but a little too complicated for my little brain trying to get this thing off the ground.

TI4-1009

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:16 pm

I just use a combination 25K pot/dpdt switch (pull up for passive selection)... it works fine. Then I use a 3pdt switch for the Buffer/Blaster selection... you can use a dpdt if you want. I use the 3p so I can add a LED indicator.
IO Custom Guitars
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby mgbills » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Sorry T. Got all excited about the 3 way switch idea, and missed the 2nd part of your question.

I looked into making a true passive option. Without the buffer active the 25K pot squashes the high frequencies dramatically, if I remember correctly. I assume this would be the same in a blaster only configuration. I'm sure it could be done, but it would be quirky. You'd need an extra volume pot, and some sort of railroad yard in your guitar to redirect the output signal. I've always liked the simplicity of the 3-knob configuration. The only other pot I'd add is if we all figure out the buffer/blaster combo, and make it really clean. Then I'd take a gain knob for the blaster.

Hope this helps.
Peace
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks. Yup, pretty sure that's where I'm headed- with the external gain knob for the blaster.

milobender wrote:I just use a combination 25K pot/dpdt switch (pull up for passive selection)... it works fine. Then I use a 3pdt switch for the Buffer/Blaster selection... you can use a dpdt if you want. I use the 3p so I can add a LED indicator.

Brian- Combination 25k/500k pot with a pull-up switch? Soooo.... if the volume pot is the last thing before the output jack, you split the signal coming out of the OBEL switch and go to the pot switch two ways, one straight signal and one through the buffer/blaster switch?

TI4-1009

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:55 pm

No, I don't use a 25k/500k pot, just the 25k... after using the active options, I rarely use the passive option, it's more of a 'fail-safe' for dead battery or other unforseen problems... I never noticed a 'dramatic' loss of highs in the passive mode, it's definately darker than the active, but I'm not sure how much that's just the active has such clear highs, and the passive, is... passive...

I go from the pup selector switch to the pull up switch, down position it goes to the Buffer/Blaster selector switch, up position bypasses the active... pup switch - vol switch - pramp switch - preamps - obel
IO Custom Guitars
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby bluemule » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:54 pm

+2 to milobender's post. I used a three position dpdt on-off-on switch before a 25k pot to select between jg preamp alone/preamp with obel/or passive. I put the blaster on a on/on dpdt after the 25k pot. I was worried about the effect of using a 25k pot passive but really did not hear a difference in the highs with the dimarzio humbuckers. I feel this setup is a big plus as you can still get the passive sounds. There is a dramatic difference in volume levels when switching between passive and active modes or layering the boosts so I found myself changing levels whenever switching modes. I also put the blaster trim level as an external pot to help dial in the blaster.
dead, mule, skb, dtb, abb, jgb, moe, phish, buddy guy, blue floyd, old&intheway
bluemule
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:42 am

I finished my Wolf/SG over the weekend and got some time last night to play around with it. I have the Waldo buffer and the GGG stratoblaster on a toggle before the OBEL switch- as per Waldo's diagram. To my old ears the buffer is less aggressive, smother, rounder ("transparent" in pedal-speak). The blaster is sharper, edgier, more treble. As you crank up the blaster you get more and more gain and volume until you start to get some breakup/distortion. The blaster reminds me more of the ancient Vox treble booster I had back in the 60's- except that it's adjustable and dead quiet.

I wish I could have worked out the third option of "neither" so I had a neutral baseline for comparison, but the 25k/500k volume pot thing makes that a little too complicated at this point. It's do-able, just not yet. I have Gibson 57 Classics in the neck and bridge, and I don't think they're as high-output as the Super 2 in the middle, so they may not cut through the 25k pot as well. And I think I've used up every cubic millimeter of the cavity :-) .

TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:36 pm

I have noted before that a GGG blaster performs different then an original Blaster circuit.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone