buffer and blaster???

Re: buffer and blaster???

Postby Searing75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:05 am

I actually use a one spot and run the wire up to my guitar where I have an 1/8th inch jack in between my two output jacks, so no battery to worry about.

Is there going to be a tone change with the blaster or just boost?
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 am

waldo041 wrote:That diagram allows for the Blaster to be placed after the OBEL before the Volume pot->Output. Or it can be placed before the OBEL. You can also place it inbetween the Volume pot and Output jack as they are wired stock. Not sure how, or if, the 25k pot will have any adverse effect to the blaster. It was designed to have a 250k pot(high impedance) in front of it. I am pretty sure it will be just fine though.

Here is another option if someone wanted to use one or the other by themselves. Just remember you'll want a 1meg pulldown resistor from the output to ground for the blaster.

~waldo

Awesome, Mike! Thanks for the clarifications and all the options! Much appreciated!

I think the first diagram with the blaster after the OBEL would be ideal. I like the buffer on all the time. Thanks again. :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

Searing75 wrote:I actually use a one spot and run the wire up to my guitar where I have an 1/8th inch jack in between my two output jacks, so no battery to worry about.

Is there going to be a tone change with the blaster or just boost?

All I've ever noticed is boost.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby milobender » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:42 pm

I always put mine, when coupled with Mike's preamp, before the effects loop, so that it can drive it, and not have the loop be lossy... I'm in the process of making a regular Alligator/Early Wolf with it just before the output jack to compare, but it works great after the UGB with the loop.
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:53 am

After trying the blaster (after the OBEL) between the preamp/buffer and the volume pot and then between the volume pot and output, I like the blaster best between the volume pot and the output. Where it was designed to be. The preamp/buffer drives the effects just fine and for me, the blaster sounds great by it self.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby milobender » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:37 am

Yeah, I like mine 'either/or' also... I didn't care for it inline with the buffer either.
+++
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:37 am

So, if the blaster is on, the other preamp is off?
How did you wire the preamps to be isolated from each other when in use? A switch for each, and an additional OBEL switch?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:25 am

I realize the confusion caused by me saying "I like the blaster by it self". I was generalizing as well as not totally realizing, at the time, what you have pointed out.

To clear things up, I did this:
waldo041 wrote:You can also place it inbetween the Volume pot and Output jack as they are wired stock. Not sure how, or if, the 25k pot will have any adverse effect to the blaster. It was designed to have a 250k pot(high impedance) in front of it. I am pretty sure it will be just fine though.~waldo

Thanks again for all the help and input. Oh and by the way, those diagrams you so graciously provided above are an excellent lesson on how those DPDT on/on switches work.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby milobender » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:36 am

With mine I actually use a 3PDT switch, but I'm controling a LED with it too... it's really the same as using two sides of another OBEL switch, so it's true bypass, and adding a side for the light... So mine is 'either' the UGB, 'or' the Stratoblaster, and I use both before the volume control... and I use an accessible, on the face of the guitar, knob for adjusting the gain for the blaster.
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby tcsned » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:28 pm

milobender wrote:With mine I actually use a 3PDT switch, but I'm controling a LED with it too... it's really the same as using two sides of another OBEL switch, so it's true bypass, and adding a side for the light... So mine is 'either' the UGB, 'or' the Stratoblaster, and I use both before the volume control... and I use an accessible, on the face of the guitar, knob for adjusting the gain for the blaster.

He installed this on my guitar, I love it! The buffer is a bit brighter they sound different but it's hard to pin down exactly what those differences are. I've used both on stage and like em both. With really bright rooms I've tended towards the blaster, in less lively rooms I've used the buffer. Sometimes I'm just in a green or blue light mood - not very scientific but that's how I roll sometimes. I did post a video comparison a while back.

Oh, and Brian, aka milobender does awesome work and is highly recommended.
tcsned

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:42 am

waldo041 wrote:That diagram allows for the Blaster to be placed after the OBEL before the Volume pot->Output. Or it can be placed before the OBEL. You can also place it inbetween the Volume pot and Output jack as they are wired stock. Not sure how, or if, the 25k pot will have any adverse effect to the blaster. It was designed to have a 250k pot(high impedance) in front of it. I am pretty sure it will be just fine though.

Here is another option if someone wanted to use one or the other by themselves. Just remember you'll want a 1meg pulldown resistor from the output to ground for the blaster.

~waldo

So, that is basically this with the addition of the led, which I might try next and seems like the best option. The reason is because I do notice that when having the blaster between the 25K volume pot and the output jack, the blaster seems noisier than when in a non buffered guitar in the same location. Not sure if it's because of the 25K volume pot or because it's getting the buffered signal as well.

I'm adding the blaster to this guitar which is wired like Tiger, but with single coils (voodoo69's)! These strat style guitar pick guards suck to work on as far as electronics go (as you might know). So, it's the old "well next time the strings are off" kind of thing unless you have a two piece pick guard.
I've been thinking about cutting this one! :roll:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:58 am

Upon further listening and comparing blaster vs no blaster in the above guitar (wired between volume pot and output jack), I have concluded that the small amount of noise when the blaster is on is just it boosting any that was already there. It's just doin its thing!

Bye the way, that pic is old and way before doing this and that's why it only has the one switch for OBEL.
I have since added the blaster on/off switch. The blaster is fixed gain with 22k ohm resistor. Might need a slightly larger resistor to lower the boost level a little.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby milobender » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:07 am

Yep, that's the way I do it... with the LED added... and I absolutely know, the Strat guard is a pain "o) I cut mine in half out of frustration/impatience thinking I'd make a brass one in two pieces, but haven't gotten around to it yet... I just got a trashed D120 that I'm going to recone, and after that, the pickguard :-) I've got a couple of Wolf/Tiger hybrids, but I want a plain Strat with the Blaster to get something close to that early 70's sound, which is my favorite :smile: :smile: :smile:

I really like the adjustable gain for the blaster... and also have a switch to toggle between adjustable gain and close to unity... thanks to Waldo for the Stratoblaster 'Jerry' mods schematic!
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 am

I hear ya, I love my stock strat with just the blaster! :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:58 pm

So I was searching for more blaster info and found this thread from a few years ago:

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=8021&hilit=stratoblaster

Brad gives a pretty good explanation of why a blaster isn't as good as a buffer for driving an OBEL- I think I've missed that point in the recent discussions. So Wolf had a blaster from the get go (but without the OBEL), and for the last year had the OBEL with the blaster and no buffer? Then from Tiger on just the buffer.

So, on my in-the-works Wolf/SG project (with OBEL) the blaster by itself isn't the best option?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone