buffer and blaster???

buffer and blaster???

Postby Searing75 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Ok, the voodoo 69's are in and I am so excited with the sound! I really thought it would not sound as good! I have not played with the band, but on my own, things were sounding gorgeous! Anyways, for now I want the option of switching between my buffer, and a blaster. Anyone want to give me ideas on how to wire that option?

Chris
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Re: buffer and blaster???

Postby zambiland » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:58 am

I installed a CAE buffer in my strat, including a 25k volume pot. Later I got a blaster. I was lazy and just added it on before the volume control. Sounds great. So, I get either just buffer or buffer and blaster. All runs off 1 nine volt.
zambiland

Postby Searing75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:53 am

I would think you would want the buffer after the blaster?

Can I just wire them both in, and switch the power to each?
Searing75
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby zambiland » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:32 am

Searing75 wrote:I would think you would want the buffer after the blaster?

Why would this be an advantage? I wouldn't want the blaster to overload the input of the buffer.

Searing75 wrote:Can I just wire them both in, and switch the power to each?

No. Merely depriving them of power is not the same as a bypass. You'd need to switch the signal around each one. It could be done with a three position switch (one, the other, both) or two two position switches.
zambiland

Postby Searing75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:50 am

Right, did not think of the hot signal off the blaster hitting the buffer. I still think there would be some issue with havin both in series, either way? maybe not ideal??

So both off the same power, and each wired to opposite poles of a 3 position switch? In the middle, both work, and then up down selects either buffer or blaster?
Searing75
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby zambiland » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:56 am

Searing75 wrote:Right, did not think of the hot signal off the blaster hitting the buffer. I still think there would be some issue with havin both in series, either way? maybe not ideal??

So both off the same power, and each wired to opposite poles of a 3 position switch? In the middle, both work, and then up down selects either buffer or blaster?

Something like that. You'd probably want to use a multipole switch so that you can switch the input and output to each. I'd also investigate pulldown resistors so as to avoid pops when you switch modes.

However, I also don't see why you would bother doing this. The Blaster doesn't really have enough of a tone itself to warrant having a transparent preamp like a buffer as an alternative. I didn't want to have an unbuffered signal at any time, so it made sense to just wire up the blaster as a boost that can be kicked in when necessary on top of the buffer. I can't think of a reason why this isn't the ideal setup.

Also, if you are getting an official Alembic blaster, the switch is already part of the unit, so you just need to figure out the switching for the buffer.
zambiland

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:18 am

I'd love to see a diagram of how a person could add the blaster to Tigers wiring. Just an on/off switch for the blaster. Everything else the same as Tiger (OBEL, buffer always on). Just the addition of the blaster so you can switch it on and off with the OBEL engaged or not.
I'm good at following diagrams. Not so good at figuring it out and making the diagram... :roll:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby zambiland » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:21 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:I'd love to see a diagram of how a person could add the blaster to Tigers wiring. Just an on/off switch for the blaster. Everything else the same as Tiger (OBEL, buffer always on). Just the addition of the blaster so you can switch it on and off with the OBEL engaged or not.
I'm good at following diagrams. Not so good at figuring it out and making the diagram... :roll:

Where do you want the boost? Prior to the effects loop or on the output on the way to the amp? Personally, I'd go for the latter (which is what I think you are describing) and in that case it would be a simple matter of just inserting it right before the output jack.
zambiland

Postby Searing75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:30 am

Ok, I will add the blaster after the buffer and right before the output. I will have an on off switch for the blaster. This will be a trial though. I may end up not even using the blaster, as you said it has no real tone shaping qualities to it. Thanks Zambiland!
Searing75
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:33 am

zambiland wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:I'd love to see a diagram of how a person could add the blaster to Tigers wiring. Just an on/off switch for the blaster. Everything else the same as Tiger (OBEL, buffer always on). Just the addition of the blaster so you can switch it on and off with the OBEL engaged or not.

Where do you want the boost? Prior to the effects loop or on the output on the way to the amp? Personally, I'd go for the latter (which is what I think you are describing) and in that case it would be a simple matter of just inserting it right before the output jack.

Yea zambiland, I think you're right. The best spot is right before the output to the amp. Don't really want it going through the effects loop. I'm gonna give it a try. Easy enough to take out. Thanks for the input!
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:34 am

You would simply splice in a second OBEL switch either before or after it. Only instead of a send and return you would wire the input and output of the blaster .

Input = Send and Output = Return.

Then the question is, do you want the blaster before or after the OBEL?

It really is that simple, but you may want to add a pull down 1meg resistor from the blasters output to ground to prevent capacitive clicks and pops of the switch.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:42 am

waldo041 wrote:

You would simply splice in a second OBEL switch either before or after it. Only instead of a send and return you would wire the input and output of the blaster .

Input = Send and Output = Return.

Then the question is, do you want the blaster before or after the OBEL?

It really is that simple, but you may want to add a pull down 1meg resistor from the blasters output to ground to prevent capacitive clicks and pops of the switch.

~waldo

Thank you very much for the diagram, Mike. Much appreciated! That would work for sure. if necessary.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that. I would think after the OBEL. I would not want the blaster going through the OBEL. Just the clean out put to the amp, so wouldn't just adding it before the clean out put jack work, or will that interfere with the 25K volume pot purpose?
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:52 am

That diagram allows for the Blaster to be placed after the OBEL before the Volume pot->Output. Or it can be placed before the OBEL. You can also place it inbetween the Volume pot and Output jack as they are wired stock. Not sure how, or if, the 25k pot will have any adverse effect to the blaster. It was designed to have a 250k pot(high impedance) in front of it. I am pretty sure it will be just fine though.

Here is another option if someone wanted to use one or the other by themselves. Just remember you'll want a 1meg pulldown resistor from the output to ground for the blaster.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Searing75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:55 am

Can the blaster be powered off the same 9v as the buffer? With both being on at the same time, will both not suffer a drain in power?
Searing75
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:00 am

Searing75 wrote:Can the blaster be powered off the same 9v as the buffer? With both being on at the same time, will both not suffer a drain in power?

The blaster with gain applied is a Battery drain, but aside from that they both will be just fine working off of 1- 9 Volt. Just remember to solder both of their powers negative wire to the ring of the output jack for power switch!

~waldo
waldo041

Next

Return to Jerry Tone