Tiger- Why the SDS?

Tiger- Why the SDS?

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:36 am

So Jerry played the Tiger for 10 years. He changed pickups all the time because he thought they wore out. All that time he had the humbucker-sized neck opening in the pickup ring- but he kept the SDS in there. He could have had Irwin or Brawer add another coil tap switch or wire it for tapping and change it over to a humbucker, but he never did. And if I'm reading the Rosebud schematic that's what he went to there- all three humbuckers could be tapped.

Do you think he kept the single coil in there because he heard something special from it, or just from inertia? Or was Tiger just an evolutionary step between Wolf and Rosebud and beyond?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Re: Tiger- Why the SDS?

Postby mgbills » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 am

I'm not sure why he kept it, but I really dig that pickup. For me that hotter/fatter tone sounds really cool into my Deluxe or Mesa rig. It's like a little bit of '72 Jerry with a flip of the switch. Its softer through the SMS.

So for lack of a better answer, and since he's not around to ask, I'd say...'casue it's freakin' cool.

Sorry for the lack of clarity in this matter.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Return to Jerry Tone