TruTron3x

Re: TruTron3x

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:20 am

waldo041 wrote:
myoung6923 wrote:I have stuck with the Q Tron for the time being. For a few gigs I plugged the Trutron in with my effects loop, but kept the Q Tron in also. I just have been finding the Trutron to be really finicky in finding the sweet spot. I always went back to the Q Tron - I just get a way better big warm sounding envelope. I know a lot of people have been saying the opposite, but that's not my experience with my guitar and rig.

I keep playing with it at home, but I can't get mine to sound and respond quite right. I mean, I can get it to sound pretty good, just not as good as I would like it.

Beigel, last i spoke with him, has not yet released a manual for the new trutron yet. There are 2 trimpots on the inside of the unit. The one closest to the footswitch side just above the jumpers should be the decay. You may want to adjust this pot, but the unit only has a 1 year warranty, so be careful if you do mess with it. The other one is to set the L.E.D. Current to the optos and should not need an adjustment. But better yet, send it back to mike and let him know what you are after and get him to adjust the settings for you. Like the qtrons the decay setting can make or break the deal in getting those silky Jerry envelope tones.

~waldo

Very interesting! Thanks Mike!
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Shantiano » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:10 am

My Tru-Tron will never leave my pedalboard. A real Classic!
Shantiano
welcome
welcome

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:27 am

The new Vintage Guitar has a full-page review of the Mu-Tron. Kind of a weird review, doesn't really say much, more funk oriented, and they don't mention JG until the last paragraph!?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby BigBoyPete » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:06 pm

If you guys wouldn't mind throwing out some basic settings for the Tru-Tron so I can get started, I would be very thankful! I can't wait to dig into this pedal, but a guidepost for starting with some silky 78' tones would be awesome. Trimpot adjustments as well, if there is any insight. I play a noiseless Strat buffered into a deluxe reverb, if that affects the response. Thanks in advance! The benefits of this site are never-ending.
-Pete from VT
BigBoyPete
tiger
tiger

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:22 pm

BigBoyPete wrote:If you guys wouldn't mind throwing out some basic settings for the Tru-Tron so I can get started, I would be very thankful! I can't wait to dig into this pedal, but a guidepost for starting with some silky 78' tones would be awesome. Trimpot adjustments as well, if there is any insight. I play a noiseless Strat buffered into a deluxe reverb, if that affects the response. Thanks in advance! The benefits of this site are never-ending.
-Pete from VT

Read page 6 of this thread.
hippieguy1954

Postby BigBoyPete » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 pm

thanks
BigBoyPete
tiger
tiger

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:04 pm

You're welcome! Page 7 is good too!
hippieguy1954

Postby jeager » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:33 am

Thanks Waldo for the info about the trim pot. I have not messed with it yet but now that I think of it, that sounds like the tweak I have been looking for...though I must say this pedal really sounds good to me compared to others I have tried/heard its way more musical sounding. The power supply was almost a deal breaker, I really want to minimize the number of power that need to be plugged in so I got the Trex power unit... Im wondering if that could be the source of increased noise I am noting from my pedals though so I may go back to the voodoo labs and just carry the wall wart around.

Anyone have thoughts on the quality of different pedal power supplies? and potential noise...
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tatittle » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:45 am

The more electrically educated than me will have better insights, but the power supply could definitely casue increased noise--but I am thinking more along the lines of a faulty cable or ground in the cable etc. Also more than 1- 3 pronger (terminating at different sockets)can cause ground loop noise. For a properly operating unit I am not sure...though transformers are pretty susceptible to interference in general I think.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone