John Mayer

Re: John Mayer

Postby Billbbill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 am

Jon S. wrote:For some reason, musicians, in particular, often find it difficult to stop ourselves from dumping on Mayer. I see this everywhere. Meanwhile, much of the rest of the world (his ex's excepted) love him. I'm glad Mayer had a pop stage (so did the Beatles). His pop music is among the best of its genre. When I'm not playing in my Dead band, I do solo indie-ish acoustic gigs. I've yet to perform Waiting on the World to Change to less than full audience appreciation for the song. Of course, he doesn't sound just like Jerry when he covers Dead. I like that about him, too. Look, I'm not saying anyone has to like anyone or to try to censor anyone's comments. I just wish we musicians could be less quick to be negative on other musicians, particularly in the case of an accomplished songwriter, vocalist, and guitarist who is earning an honest living from it and enjoys considerable success. Not to mention that he appreciates Jerry's songs and style - if it makes him happy, he can't be that bad. ;)

agree totally

and for the record he appears to be just playing over the G-C portion on the FOTD lead - why it sounds a bit weird.
Billbbill

Postby joethepainter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:29 am

Mr.Burns wrote:@joethepainter: Sorry I didn't type IMHO before every sentence in my last post. I guess I kind of felt like it was implied. Other people keep reinforcing the opinions I stated "as facts", but some folks just keep seeing only what they want to see.

No apology necessary. Whether other folks agree with your opinions or not, they're still opinions, and we're all entitled to our own. I understand where you're coming from as far as Mayer goes, I just don't agree, is all. And that's fine. Hopefully, we can just agree to disagree. Have a good one.

Peace, Joe
joethepainter
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby strumminsix » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 am

Mr.Burns wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Just a few thoughts....
1) listen to enough blues and jazz guys and they push it, hear something not working, let it breath a beat then pickup anew from wherever. I'd rather hear that then safe pentatonics.
2) He's a musician first. How he's portrayed by the media is not of his doing.
3) Dude claims to have inspiration from the Dead and Jerry... Haven't we all?

I listened to the most blues and jazz guy I could think of who was also vital and pertinent to the current musical climate: Derek Trucks. He doesn't do any of that, because he doesn't need to. He actually has something musically pleasing and vital to say when he's playing. Hence the lack of fumbling buffoonery in Mr. Trucks' playing that is ever-present in so much of what Mayer does. And #2 sounds like an opinion stated as fact IMHO.

I claim him a musician first cuz that's all I see of him. I don't see him in movies, hosting TV shows, announcing sports, selling reverse mortgages or penis pumps :lol:

When I talk jazz guys I wouldn't put Trucks in that camp since IMNSHO he's a blues dude primarily slide and when talking jazzers who I love and find inspiring I think Gillespie, Coltrane, Monk, Miles, Getz, Brubeck the guys who really took it way out sometimes. And in all those guys on the live tracks I do hear fumbling and faltering (just like Jerry) cuz sometimes they take to the limit, abandon the construct give us something awesome and mind blowing but then can't find their way back so they breath a few, listen and get back into the groove. :cool:

Maybe we are just hearing him 2 different ways..... And that's the beauty of music
strumminsix

Postby aiq » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:37 pm

To think Mayer doesn't have anything to do with his PR blitz...just a little naive.
aiq
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby seniorpesca » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 pm

don't think i've ever heard him play any other modes or scales thats not the blues scale...like on GDTRFB play some fuckin mixolydian stuff cmonnnnnn..big guitar pet peeve of mine
seniorpesca
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby PurpleTrails » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I have heard him play some modal stuff when he sat in with Dave Matthews Band at a concert a few years ago. IMO he's a monster player technically, but usually he just defaults to the lowest common denominator blues scales unless someone pushes him in another direction.
PurpleTrails
tiger
tiger

Postby seniorpesca » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 pm

once went to see his trio years back in milwaukee with high expectations and left mega let down..oh well cant please em all
seniorpesca
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby NSP » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:20 am

seniorpesca wrote:once went to see his trio years back in milwaukee with high expectations and left mega let down..oh well cant please em all

Are you a Wisconsin guy?
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tatittle » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:45 am

In my view, the value of this alone is inestimable. I would have begun with, "I mean this as genuinely as possible, FULL of RESPECT to Mayer. ..." Just as I felt about Tolkien after reading the Hobbit, LOTR, and Appendix A to my then 6 year old daughter in their entirety (so she'd be able to experience the books in their fullness BEFORE the 1st LOTR movie).

Right on Jon...you cant buy that kind of priceless experience for either you or your kid. Though Im certain many Americans try to lol.
tatittle
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby jeager » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:49 am

Beside the point i suppose but, Derek Trucks is a great player, really amazing and tasteful too (something nearly all of the "guitar gods" lack) ... Nice he made the cover.

One thing none of these guys seem to have IMHO is the ability to craft high quality songs that are timeless like Jerry and Robert did. I seriously doubt you will see a bunch of bands covering Mayer's tunes 40 years after...
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JakeStraw » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:13 pm

jeager wrote:Beside the point i suppose but, Derek Trucks is a great player, really amazing and tasteful too (something nearly all of the "guitar gods" lack) ... Nice he made the cover.

One thing none of these guys seem to have IMHO is the ability to craft high quality songs that are timeless like Jerry and Robert did. I seriously doubt you will see a bunch of bands covering Mayer's tunes 40 years after...

To me, that's one of the things that makes The Grateful Dead the Grateful Dead. The sustainability and relevance of the music throughout multiple generations is a magical beauty. :smile:

That being said, I do totally dig the stuff that Trucks has put out with the Tedeschi Trucks band, and have a ton of respect for Mayer.
JakeStraw
bruce
bruce

Postby Trecia » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 pm

So here's a hypothetical.... Mayer starts touring with the next iteration of Further.

Do you....

A. Quit playing Dead covers forever...?
B. Quit playing guitar forever?
C. Give him a chance, then hear a bootleg... then either A or B
D. Wait for newly minted neo-hippie girls to start buying up all the tickets to your next show.
E. Retreat to the man-cave with the Sunshine Daydream DVD, three pints of Cherry-Garcia, and a box of Kleenex... Forever!
Trecia
TC
TC

Postby Tony6Strings » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:01 am

Interesting to see Rukinds take on the Mayer subject. I think he's a great blues guitar player, does the Hendrix thing very nicely, and has IMHO one of the best electric guitar tones in music today. It took me a while to get over my prejudice, as a teenager I had to hear my girlfriend play "Your Body is a Wonderland" over and over, and gush on and on about this guy. Lol. His chops in his genre can't be denied. Regarding going from pop to substantial music: lots of bands started out with an attempt to grab their slice of the pie, then eventually went on to do great things musically. Alice In Chains, for instance. Total glam buttrock in the early years. It's what was selling right then. They went on to be one of the most influential bands of the 90's. Funny, I recently watched the Wetlands documentary, and it had a clip of Hansen playing with Bob Weir, Dead tunes. The influence of the Dead is one of the most widespread in music. Anyone ever check out "Pickin on the Dead"? It's wicked cool. The Dead covered a lot of music written by other artists, and put their own spin on it. This started one of the fundamental traditions of the jam band. Regarding Derek Trucks: on his first album, he covered a few jazz tunes, some Coltrane etc... Hands down most badass version of Mr. PC I've ever heard. Not to mention his take on classical Indian music. Best slide player ever IMHO, and another contender for best tone around these days. Like him or no, the fact of the matter is, Mayer had "Made It". Which is something that just isn't in the cards for most people playing in Dead coverbands. It's all about the music anyway, right? Side note: if I had the cash Mayer has, I'd be putting together one hell of a Jerry rig!!!
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby Mr.Burns » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 am

Tony6Strings wrote:Regarding going from pop to substantial music: lots of bands started out with an attempt to grab their slice of the pie, then eventually went on to do great things musically. Alice In Chains, for instance. Total glam buttrock in the early years. It's what was selling right then. They went on to be one of the most influential bands of the 90's.

Are you referring to their image or to their musical style? Because I don't think they've changed their style much, ever, even since adding the new singer. IMHO they've never changed a bit musically, and I believe there's something to be said for remaining true to your vision, whatever that may be.
I also dug Mayer's tone when he was playing a strat. I think his number one used to be an SRV model, IIRC. I believe he's holding it in that cover photo, but I seem to recall other strats as well.
Mr.Burns
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:17 am

43 posts? Will someone please hijack this thread!? :lol:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone