MC 250....Now what do I do?

Re: MC 250....Now what do I do?

Postby Stella Bloo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:45 am

Thanks,

My concern is that I currently have a HT cabinet that uses a 1/4 inch output which will remain, when I cut the other 1/4/ inch cable off, should I still reverse the input into the MC and put the "black" to positive and "Red" to ground?
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:54 am

I wired my cabinets so that I could connect the pos to pos and neg to neg on the McIntosh. In other words, I have the pos going to neg on the speakers, not on the McIntosh.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Smolder » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:08 am

tatittle wrote: I dont think it is particularly harmful to hook up speakers "backwards", but it will give a thin sound as it is emitting the signal behind the speaker rather than forward.

I've never experience this, and I don't think it is correct. If you have two speakers wired out of phase from each other, then they tend to cancel each other out... rendering a weak sound. Even dual amps out of phase can produce this, but a single speaker, or a bank of speakers all wired in reverse (but together) will sound just fine.
Smolder

Postby tatittle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:40 pm

I guess you wouldnt need to switch the leads again at the amp...as they have already been switched (for JBL polarity) at the jack on the cabinet. If you dont get it right the 1st time just switch them around...the speakers should jump outwards at first when a signal is reproduced. This can be kinda tricky to spot though since it immediately bounces back in the opposite direction, hence the battery test.
I do not have a Mac unfortunately so any peculiarities of them I will be unaware of.

Smolder, I am just referring to a single speaker not parrallel/series wiring (although the same principle would apply). Basically I am talking about wiring the speaker so that it pushes air forward INTO the room, rather than backwards into the cabinet etc. I have heard folks say it doesnt matter for a single speaker though (or more if they are same direction), could be, but I thought I noticed a fairly significant difference with my D123 wired backwards, and it does no harm even if it doesnt matter. If it is pushing air to the rear of the speaker in creating sound, the cone would be inverted practically speaking as well. Of course it still produces sound if at a lower volume depending on the cabinet/location. With 2 speakers I make sure they both push air forward in unison.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Stella Bloo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:38 am

Okay,

I have the MC and did cut the speaker cable and wired it up. It sounds fantastic, everyone is correct, it has an "organic" sound to it that my Rocktron definatley did not have. I am going to hold off on the mods and restoration so I can enjoy it for a few weeks. Here is my question? I don't like having the speaker wire going around the terminal and exposed. Is there a speaker cable with ends that I could simply slide and tighten? I have looked everywhere.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Postby tcsned » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:17 am

On eBay you can find some banana plug adapters that screw into the speaker terminals. I have a set but haven't gotten around to using them yet.
tcsned

Postby tatittle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:28 am

Cool man, play a China Cat and Sugaree intro for me :)
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone