Mu-Fx Tru Tron 3X envelope filter

Mu-Fx Tru Tron 3X envelope filter

Postby ccw3432 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Mike Beigel's new version of the Mu-Tron III is now available for sale. I ordered one and hope to get it soon. I will post how I like it once I get it and have some time messing with it. For those who want to go for it without hearing it he may still be taking orders. His first run back in the business is 100 units. It sounds like he's interested in making more if the demand is there. The price is $369.63 and instructions are available on his FB page on where to paypal payment for anyone who is interested.

Here's a photo

And another next to the Mu-Tron III

Here's the description of the unit from the Mike Mu-Tron facebook page:

"The unit, although smaller than its predecessor, the Musitronics Corp Mu-Tron III, is BIGGER in features and EQUAL OR BETTER (my opinion) IN SOUND AND VERSATILITY.

When the unit is set in "MU" mode, it works as exactly the same (and to my ears sounds exactly the same) as the Mu-Tron III vintage unit--I have tested it against 2 Mu-Tron III units AND some of the other envelope filter products I designed.
HOWEVER,
the Q CONTROL dial goes to 11 and for a good reason!
I have added a significant amount MORE Q to the filter. So to get Mu-Tron III Q, you just need to turn the dial back a little from what you would usually use to get the same Q as on a Vintage Mu III.
The MU DIAL (top left control) controls the signal gain to BOTH THE FILTER AUDIO AND THE ENVELOPE GENERATOR, as in the Vintage M-III

The FILTER MODE switch now has 4 positons instead of 3. The 4th position, "MIX" is a carefully mixed blend of the original signal and the LOWPASS MODE from the filter. It's the best mix sound I could get from all the possibilities I tried.

There are also TWO OVERLOAD INDICATOR LEDs to help you dial in the sound you want.

The first ENVELOPE SATURATION, to the right and above the MU knob, shows when the envelope signal begins to go into saturation, and gets brighter and stays on longer the more the envelope is "pushed" further into saturation. So when it NEVER lights up, the envelope always follows the shape of the loudness of your instrument signal, and never overloads. When it goes on only on the loudest notes or chords you play, it overloads at the peak of the signal, and from there, the more it goes and stays on, you know that you have "topped out" the envelope (making the filter sweep through its full range) with every note you play. ALL THESE SETTINGS AND INDICATIONS HAVE MUSICAL USES, as I have discovered by playing different kinds of riffs into the TRU-3X.
The ENV SAT LED is only responsive to your signal and the setting of the MU control. The red numbers on the dial tell you that you will be hitting env sat with almost everything you play.

The other overload indicator, AUDIO DIST(ORT) responds when the audio signal to the filter hits clipping. THIS IS A VERY DIFFERENT KIND OF THING because you will be able to hear the OP-AMP CLIPPING distortion and in the "middle ranges" of the MU control, it might or might not sound good to you... and the higher you set the MU control, the louder the audio signal gets, till it mignt be much louder than the BYPASSED signal from your instrument in TRU-BYPASS mode. But I have found that when the loudness is boosted so that it distorts almost ALL the time, it can (surprisingly!) make some very musical distortion tones when it goes through the filter , especially in SOME modes and settings.
But when you drive the audio to FULL DISTORT with the MU control, you also saturate the envelope(both lighty will go on) so every note is "slammed" to full sweep. This is not, in my opinion, optimum for many kinds of more subtle effects.

so....

That's why the MU <-> PRE toggle switch between and below the MU and the PRE(AMP) controls is a NEW FEATURE of the TRU-3X.

Time for "a break", and I will post the explanation for the other features and controls........ m mt"
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Re: Mu-Fx Tru Tron 3X envelope filter

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:13 am

:D
Please post samples when you can !
Tennessee Jedi

Postby cmc64 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:58 am

Oh I have to get one of these. Damn, i am gonna be broke in a matter of minutes.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby cmc64 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:07 am

I don't have a facebook page and can't even find his though a yahoo search. Can someone help me out here before they are all gone? Thanks!
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:19 am

I did a search on FB for " Mike Beigel " and he was the 1st to come up but its not obvious
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tcsned » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:34 am

This should get you there . . .
https://www.facebook.com/MU.MOJO.man
tcsned

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:36 am

I ordered one- I think. His Facebook page ordering instructions are about as easy to understand as the effects circuit. :?:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby ccw3432 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:48 am

Sorry I forgot to put the Facebook page link. The one above is the one to use:

https://www.facebook.com/MU.MOJO.man

These will eventually be for sale on his website, but he's been having difficulties getting it updated and setup for this. But for future reference here it is:

http://mu-fx-trutron3x.com/
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:26 am

Just unusual goings on. I sent the paypal, it shows up in my paypal accout as a completed payment to Mike B., but I didn't get a confirmation email from paypal right away like I always do??? Tick, tick, tick....

btw- thanks for posting this ccw! Seems to be little word about this except for his Facebook page?!

Heh Heh- "it goes to 11" !

EDIT: Beigel says that the TruTron has the exact same circuit as his 70's version, plus some optional enhancements that allow "better" and different sounds. So suppose that it sounds just as good as a Musitronics MuTron- for considerably less than current 70's MuTron going prices. What do you think this might do to prices for the old MuTrons? Will the "vintage" vibe keep the price up if you can get the same sound with new reliability and enhancements?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby gpilcher2001 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Can anyone say really exspensive qtron? Iirc my qtron has a mix mode on it... Doesnt mean I'm not curious though Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby cmc64 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:17 pm

I got my payment in after a nice discourse with Mike Beigel. Broke the bank after paying bills (and have about nine days until next payday) but bank balanced be damned!!!! This is going be worth every cent. I simply can not wait to A/B with my Mu-III and then find out what else it can do. Very, very exciting.

Thanks for all of the assistance offered up as I steer clear of Facebook. Today was a good day.

Cheers all,

Kyle
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby cmc64 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 pm

gpilcher2001 wrote:Can anyone say really exspensive qtron? Iirc my qtron has a mix mode on it... Doesnt mean I'm not curious though Greg...

I had considered that but I have a feeling that this is going to be the real deal. The Q-Tron was a collaboration with Beigel and EHX. This is Beigel doing his thing.

With the exception of the Deluxe Memory Man, I have yet to encounter an EHX effect that I like. I had a Q-Tron and a Q-Tron+ (the big old silver boxes) and couldn't get a good tone out of either to save my life. I have heard many others who make them sound GREAT so I am by no means knocking that effect or EHX in general. It's just not for me.

And if it is not my cup of tea I would imagine it would not be overly difficult to regain my investment.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby HeadSpace » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:55 pm

I thought the real-deal original circuit couldn't be duplicated because the vactrols used were no longer available. Does he address this issue at all?
HeadSpace
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:48 am

the opto's he designed, or rather spec'd are proprietary and he knows the info. if he indeed is basing this new incarnation with the old he would simply have his manufacture make a batch to his specs. I would hope he did keep the original circuit to include the bipolar power supply and input buffer.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Smolder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 am

I'm curious - having had more than a few various pedals in an attempt to get there (but no real mutrons).

I've heard (from experts) that there is a consistency issue across the original devices. It's unclear to me if that was a manufacturing issue or an aging over time issue. Has he acknowledged or addresses that issue or efforts to reduce variability at all?
Smolder

Next

Return to Jerry Tone