Warren and the Wolf

Warren and the Wolf

Postby shadowboxer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am

Anybody see Warren on Weir Here last night? I am wondering if anybody had any comments about the tone from the Wolf.
shadowboxer
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Warren and the Wolf

Postby flyingheelhook » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Not sure the speakers on my computer are worthy of commenting on the tone, but the few tunes I heard (Crazy Fingers, West LA Fadeaway) sounded pretty good.
flyingheelhook
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby shadowboxer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:01 pm

It did sound good to me too. In my opinion, Warren is probably the best improviser among the people who play Garcia's stuff, albeit with a little Allman-style blues added into it, which may be to some people's taste or not. But his note selection and ideas are great. I was, however, kind of surprised by the Wolf's tone. It was very clean and, at least to me, it didn't seem to sound a whole lot like a Jerry guitar with the Super 2's. Maybe that's my computer speakers or the amplifier he was using.

It was a good night for Bob too. I did, however, think that he went overboard on the effects sound on China Cat.
shadowboxer
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby shadowboxer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 am

Found a clip which shows what I mean about the tone being different. Warren takes the lead on Crazy Fingers at 37:26:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvnmGb77ZTs
shadowboxer
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby mkaufman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:50 am

On that Crazy Fingers lead, I'm hearing a lot of Blues for Allah tone.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby brbadg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Well the tone was there,it's just that well,once again we're waitin for the big man to show up!I enjoyed the show
brbadg
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby aiq » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 am

Heard the JGST at Wolftrap. Super crystal clean Wolf tone. That seemed to be carried over to Weir Here.
aiq
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby dogfood1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 am

I thought the sound of the Wolf was really nice (headphones/iPad) but the TONE was all Warren. Just having Jerry's guitar didn't make Warren sound like Jer, Warren still sounded like Warren. In the back of my head, I really wanted it to sound like Jerry, but it did not. There were a couple spots that sounded Jerry-like, but all-in-all, Warren.

I suppose you can chase the tone all you want, but I'm pretty sure it's in the fingers, not the guitar.

Great show BTW!
dogfood1
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby shadowboxer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Upon closer inspection, it looks like he's using the neck pickup or the neck/middle combo most of the time. Maybe that accounts for the difference that I'm hearing. I thought Jerry never played with the neck pickup. Didn't Warren get the message from this forum that the split coil middle is where 90% of the Jerry tone lies?
shadowboxer
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Jerry Tone