Warren and the Wolf

Warren and the Wolf

Postby shadowboxer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am

Anybody see Warren on Weir Here last night? I am wondering if anybody had any comments about the tone from the Wolf.
shadowboxer
Keith
Keith

Re: Warren and the Wolf

Postby flyingheelhook » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Not sure the speakers on my computer are worthy of commenting on the tone, but the few tunes I heard (Crazy Fingers, West LA Fadeaway) sounded pretty good.
flyingheelhook
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby shadowboxer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:01 pm

It did sound good to me too. In my opinion, Warren is probably the best improviser among the people who play Garcia's stuff, albeit with a little Allman-style blues added into it, which may be to some people's taste or not. But his note selection and ideas are great. I was, however, kind of surprised by the Wolf's tone. It was very clean and, at least to me, it didn't seem to sound a whole lot like a Jerry guitar with the Super 2's. Maybe that's my computer speakers or the amplifier he was using.

It was a good night for Bob too. I did, however, think that he went overboard on the effects sound on China Cat.
shadowboxer
Keith
Keith

Postby shadowboxer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 am

Found a clip which shows what I mean about the tone being different. Warren takes the lead on Crazy Fingers at 37:26:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvnmGb77ZTs
shadowboxer
Keith
Keith

Postby mkaufman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:50 am

On that Crazy Fingers lead, I'm hearing a lot of Blues for Allah tone.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby brbadg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Well the tone was there,it's just that well,once again we're waitin for the big man to show up!I enjoyed the show
brbadg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby aiq » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 am

Heard the JGST at Wolftrap. Super crystal clean Wolf tone. That seemed to be carried over to Weir Here.
aiq
Mickey
Mickey

Postby dogfood1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 am

I thought the sound of the Wolf was really nice (headphones/iPad) but the TONE was all Warren. Just having Jerry's guitar didn't make Warren sound like Jer, Warren still sounded like Warren. In the back of my head, I really wanted it to sound like Jerry, but it did not. There were a couple spots that sounded Jerry-like, but all-in-all, Warren.

I suppose you can chase the tone all you want, but I'm pretty sure it's in the fingers, not the guitar.

Great show BTW!
dogfood1
Vince
Vince

Postby shadowboxer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Upon closer inspection, it looks like he's using the neck pickup or the neck/middle combo most of the time. Maybe that accounts for the difference that I'm hearing. I thought Jerry never played with the neck pickup. Didn't Warren get the message from this forum that the split coil middle is where 90% of the Jerry tone lies?
shadowboxer
Keith
Keith

Return to Jerry Tone