OBEL effects user guide

OBEL effects user guide

Postby TeeJay » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Are there any guide lines on which effects should not be in the OBEL? Will an analog delay stomp go in the OBEL?
TeeJay
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: OBEL effects user guide

Postby schmidtz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:54 pm

I believe the big guy had everything in the OBEL, except the tuner.

From a theoretical aspect, the only one that really, really benefits from the OBEL is the envelope filter, though the octave divider may as well.

If you like being able to affect the sound of a distortion pedal, put it after the volume knob. It's really all up to you.
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby TeeJay » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks schmidtz. I saw the earth drive thread explaining the advantages to post volume OD/Dist. Having never run an OBEL I thought there might be issues with the delay acting crazy. I am trying to set my pedal board up before actually getting the OBEL loaded in the guitar. Cart before the horse perhaps.
TeeJay
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tcsned » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:43 am

From a practical standpoint, any effect that you turn on and off a lot is a good candidate for he OBEL. I think as much as anything it is a practical device. It not only gives you a master volume so that your effects aren't affected by changing the volume of uour instrument, it has a handy on/off switch that allows you to turn them all off before having to sing eliminating the frantic stompbox tap dance before walking up the mic. So, if you use a reverb pedal or run a little delay all the time or use and Earth Drive or something like it then those can go outside the loop. Otherwise, I'd put them all inside.
tcsned

Return to Jerry Tone