Best alternative to Moriarty is ?

Re: Best alternative to Moriarty is ?

Postby aiq » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 am

cripeowner wrote:I would not call AO at the moment. I understand he is extremely busy........................................................refinishing and re-fretting my "Cripe" and he does not want to be disturbed. :lol:
I will advise when he is available to work on other peoples guitars. :lol:

He couldn't be doing yours man, he's far too busy doing mine! :shock:

All good things in all good time.
aiq
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Marleyboy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:44 pm

I would say go with Leo if you don't want to wait for Andrew Olsen . I talked to Andrew afew times when the waiting list was a couple months . I imagine its alot longer now . I did purchase a wheel and cable from him and he's a great guy. I ended up going with Leo on a whim and couldn't be happier . I got a wolf close to a year ago I guess and have a rosebud a few weeks away from completion . Plays like a dream and sounds even better and this thing isn't hanging on the wall .i gig frequently with it. I have a 6,500 dollar abyss P1 archtop ,a 10,000 dollar abyss ns2 archtop and a 17,000 dollar abyss euphoric mojo acoustic to compare them to .so its not like I've been playing a first act and then picking up the sfg and saying "wow this is nice " .since getting the sfg wolf It has somehow become the only guitar I play . Granted I play in a jgb/ dead tribute so its gonna give me the sound want more than a hollow body with Duncan 59's. I'm not saying Leo is the best of the best all around but I betcha he will be close at some point . I do think for tone , witch is the most important part , he is right at the top . In the price range he is the best your gonna get in my opinion . If money is no object and you don't mind the wait then i always say get the best but then again I went back to Leo so what does that say ? Just don't get fooled by the pretty pictures and fancy web sites from some of these guys . I have heard some horror story's about phiga . Why in the heck should you have , ANY! Issues with a custom guitar when it arrives ? I understand an occasional fluke but not all the time . Anyway ,I agree with my man keir weir that Andrew is the shit also .
Marleyboy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby jalevinemd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Whomever you wind up going with, my best advice is to make sure you communicate with the luthier. Make sure specs are clear. Best way is to send bullet list emails. That way there's no confusion. These guys are busy. If your builder isn't...find another one. :lol:

I've done custom guitars with Alembic, Scott Walker, Resurrection and now SFG. One of my Alembics is missing a purpleheart body laminate because of a miscommunication. Not a huge issue for me. Try not changing your mind a million times. That's when things tend to go awry. Bottom line is that misunderstandings are common in life and some things in a build are irreversible.

Good luck. It's supposed to be a fun experience. And always remember to post plenty of pics along the way. :-)
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone