Best alternative to Moriarty is ?

Best alternative to Moriarty is ?

Postby shadowboxer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:57 pm

It looks like you can't order a Moriarty guitar. Their website says they've stopped taking orders due to a backlog. Judging by comments here, they are generally deemed to be the best at recreating a Wolf, Tiger or Rosebud. So I'm wondering: if I'm in the market for something like this and don't want to wait an indeterminate time for a Moriarity, whom should I turn to? I'm aware of Resurrection, Lieber, Phiga, Reuter, Troy Post, Scarlet Fire/Leo. Is it one of these or someone else? Any first hand opinions appreciated.
shadowboxer
Donna
Donna

Re: Best alternative to Moriarty is ?

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Andrew Olson aoguitars.com

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mgbills » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Leo at ScarletFire is doing excellent work. I haven't played one, but I am impressed.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Ross66 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:04 pm

SFG I own one Leo's Wolf's are astounding.
Ross66
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby jalevinemd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:10 pm

This, obviously, is a matter of personal preference. And unless someone had a particularly bad experience with a specific luthier, you're gonna get many different answers. Here's my take.

1. Phiga - heard good and bad things about his Jerry style guitars, though the folks here on the forum seem to be quite happy with his work.

2. Lieber - wouldn't bother. The money he's asking for a faithful Tiger replica is insane (IMHO). And I don't think the American Beauty Classics are worth the asking price, when you consider all of the alternatives out there.

3. Reuter - never met anyone who's owned one. Pics of his Tiger inspired guitars look a bit off to me.

4. Troy Post - seems like an excellent luthier and probably the most economical choice.

5. SFG - I'm blown away by the photos of Leo's Wolfs. He's currently building me a Tiger. Super nice guy. Obviously mega talented and very nice price point considering all of the details going into his guitars.

6. Resurrection - can't say enough good things about the Bolt they made for me several years ago. If that's the guitar you're looking for, they're your guys. Tim built mine, but I believe it's just Pat now.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mikelawson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm

I am completely DELIGHTED with my Phiga Bolt, which arrived today. If what he sent me is typical of his work, he's the best deal going. No, he doesn't talk on the phone, you'll only talk via email, but that wasn't a problem for me. He kept his word across the board and delivered a stunning specimen of a Lighting Bolt. I've only seen photos of his Tigers, Wolfs, etc but from what I've seen they are a bargain.
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby keirweir » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:18 am

If you are looking for the quality and complete attention to detail Moriarty offers take a look at AO Guitars in Freeport ME. I visited his shop, saw some unfinished guitars (Wolf's, Rosebud) and would vouch for his professionalism anytime. Probably a waiting list for him as well but you don't know until you try!

Good Luck!
keirweir

Postby NSP » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:39 am

keirweir wrote:If you are looking for the quality and complete attention to detail Moriarty offers take a look at AO Guitars in Freeport ME. I visited his shop, saw some unfinished guitars (Wolf's, Rosebud) and would vouch for his professionalism anytime. Probably a waiting list for him as well but you don't know until you try!

Good Luck!

Andrew is in the latter stages of building my Wolf and I am beyond excited. Should be finished within a few weeks.

Don't know what his current backlog is, but I got on the waiting list last July. From all I've seen and heard, it will be well worth the wait.

I will share sights and sounds when she arrives :smile:
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby barefootdave » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:16 pm

I had a Resurrection for a couple of years and it was nice. Now I have a Moriarty and there is no comparison. It's way more than twice as good. If you can afford it, don't betray your dream of having the guitar of a lifetime. It's worth waiting for.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:37 pm

I'm not a Jerry player but have played a few and can say this: talk to users about playability.

This forum, and others too, have seen more than a handful of Jerry guitars get received barely playable and with electronics that need correcting. Not acceptable to me.
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:37 am

Money no object, I would wait for a Moriarty, having played a lefty Wolf. But I would also consider Andrew at AO Guitars for a build.

I can understand why Matt does not want to maintain a waiting list ... you either keep someone's deposit for a very long time, which is not a comfortable thing to do, or you take names without much hope of someone still being in a position to actually build the guitar a couple years down the road -- either financially or emotionally.

The other option would be to do something Garcia like but not a copy, in which case I would heartily recommend Scott Walker.
playingdead

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:20 am

Another consideration....
1) you source all the parts that you want on the guitar (Warmoth makes great bodies and necks)
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicSho ... aneous,WGD
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicSho ... th=Warmoth
2) you take it to a local luthier who will put finishing touches on it and assembly and setup

But I'll say this, before you trust anyone local get a few guitars setup by them so that you love playing them. Finding someone who can setup an axe the way you want it and do it consistently between a few guitars is really important, IMO.
strumminsix

Postby cripeowner » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:41 pm

I would not call AO at the moment. I understand he is extremely busy........................................................refinishing and re-fretting my "Cripe" and he does not want to be disturbed. :lol:
I will advise when he is available to work on other peoples guitars. :lol:
cripeowner
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby shadowboxer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:59 pm

strumminsix wrote:Another consideration....
1) you source all the parts that you want on the guitar (Warmoth makes great bodies and necks)
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicSho ... aneous,WGD
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicSho ... th=Warmoth
2) you take it to a local luthier who will put finishing touches on it and assembly and setup

But I'll say this, before you trust anyone local get a few guitars setup by them so that you love playing them. Finding someone who can setup an axe the way you want it and do it consistently between a few guitars is really important, IMO.

A good point considering the fact that I love the sound that Jeff Mattson gets out of his Mattsoncaster.
shadowboxer
Donna
Donna

Postby jalevinemd » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:44 pm

cripeowner wrote:I would not call AO at the moment. I understand he is extremely busy........................................................refinishing and re-fretting my "Cripe" and he does not want to be disturbed. :lol:
I will advise when he is available to work on other peoples guitars. :lol:

I appreciate your wanting it to look and play its absolute best before selling it to me. :lol: :lol:
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Next

Return to Jerry Tone