jerry pedals

Re: jerry pedals

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:34 pm

Take with a grain of salt until verified.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Searing75 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:09 pm

An OD-1 uses asymmetrical clipping (Boss has a patent on that diode set up), making for a bit of buzz in the overdrive tubescreamers use symmetrical clipping, thus the smoother, compressed overdrive. The circuits are not the same. To me the Od-1 is great for slight overdriven tones, and an OD-2 in Turbo mode nails the thick saturated leads. I use an EarthDrive on at all times at around 10 O'clock, for a slight grit, and breakup to my tone.(ala Mac amp breakup).
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Billy
Billy

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:03 am

Is anyone using a Rat or Rat-based pedal for Jerry tones?

Also, is anyone using an OCD?

If yes, how are you liking it?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Tony6Strings » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 am

Very happy OCD user here. It's my favorite non Tubescreamer type dirt pedal. It can really nail some Jerry like tones, anywhere from just a little grit to all out saturation. I always loved Jerry's use of distortion pedals, but I never had much luck with using the same dirt pedals he used. I love the LP mode on the OCD, but HP cuts through better in a band setting and is more Jerry to my ears, kind of like how I always wished I could get a distortion+ to sound. Sometimes I stack it with a Fulldrive 2, another great Fulltone pedal.
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:03 am

Tony6Strings wrote:Very happy OCD user here. It's my favorite non Tubescreamer type dirt pedal. It can really nail some Jerry like tones, anywhere from just a little grit to all out saturation. I always loved Jerry's use of distortion pedals, but I never had much luck with using the same dirt pedals he used. I love the LP mode on the OCD, but HP cuts through better in a band setting and is more Jerry to my ears, kind of like how I always wished I could get a distortion+ to sound. Sometimes I stack it with a Fulldrive 2, another great Fulltone pedal.

I hear ya. I'm staring to think that there are more ways than one to skin the cat. Like working backwards from "the sound" rather than forward from the equipment. And God only knows how original those pedals were anyway with the Bears and Cutler-types hanging around.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby rugger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:13 am

Jon S. wrote:Is anyone using a Rat or Rat-based pedal for Jerry tones?

Funny you asked. I don't have any experience with a RAT, but I just plugged my OCD back in this weekend for a little fun. Signal chain over the weekend: keeley katana-->earth drive--> OCD--> DD7--> CTP/mac/JBL's.

I think the OCD is a great pedal. There's plenty of gain if you want it but I usually set fairly low. This weekend I had it set for very light crunch, around 9 o'clock on the dial and the Earth Drive set as a boost (low gain, high volume) and it sounded great. I don't think you can go wrong for the price. I know Brad posted a fairly lengthy review of the OCD a while back--premise being that Jerry would probably dig the OCD if it were available while he was alive. You should do a search if you haven't already read it.

Good Luck!

Edit: found the post http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=7700&p=72444#p72444

John in San Diego
rugger
Phil
Phil

Postby PurpleTrails » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:08 pm

rugger wrote:
Jon S. wrote:Is anyone using a Rat or Rat-based pedal for Jerry tones?

Funny you asked. I don't have any experience with a RAT, but I just plugged my OCD back in this weekend for a little fun. Signal chain over the weekend: keeley katana-->earth drive--> OCD--> DD7--> CTP/mac/JBL's.

I think the OCD is a great pedal. There's plenty of gain if you want it but I usually set fairly low. This weekend I had it set for very light crunch, around 9 o'clock on the dial and the Earth Drive set as a boost (low gain, high volume) and it sounded great. I don't think you can go wrong for the price. I know Brad posted a fairly lengthy review of the OCD a while back--premise being that Jerry would probably dig the OCD if it were available while he was alive. You should do a search if you haven't already read it.

Good Luck!

Edit: found the post http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=7700&p=72444#p72444

John in San Diego

With the exception of not owning an earth drive, this is pretty much how I use my OCD as well. When I got the OCD it drove my distortion+ reissue off my board. You can definitely run it from a clean boost all the way up to fairly gnarly OD, and get good tones (and Jerry tones) over that spectrum. It's really responsive to playing dynamics, which is what I think of when Jerry would hit his dirt.
PurpleTrails
TC
TC

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:06 am

Distortion and Overdrive pedals are 2 different animals. As described here earlier. Jerry obviously knew this and used them accordingly. He placed his Overdrive early in the loop, and the Distortion later. And only a guess, but I am sure he used both at the same time on occasion.

Here are some examples of the two types of different versions.

Distortion

MXR Distortion+
~2:19

Boss OD-1
~2:47

Overdrive

MXR "SERIES 2000" Distortion+

Boss OD-2
~3:50

Point is, If you are after a certain tone he is was using it makes sense to know what type of tone that was used. This way you are not trying to get Overdrive tones out of a Distortion pedal or vice-versa. They can sound similar, but they are not the same.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Tony6Strings » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Waldo,
Have you tried an OCD? I'm curious to hear your opinion of this effect in a Jerry gear context.
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby kadidog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Waldo, Thanks for the post. Great as usual

Any truth to the HM-2 Pedal being in the rotation. I have an older model MIJ model and it can get pretty darn close to those later 80s and Early 90's distortion tones; Miracle etc..
kadidog
Vince
Vince

Postby mgbills » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:37 pm

So I listened to Waldo's clips. Always informative!
Then I did a search of "Overdrive" here at RuKind. Overdrive & Distortion are used interchangebly in a very broad spectrum of posts. Interesting.

So…I says to myself…"Self. I don't think I know the intended difference from a design level." I get that they both have some sort of gain structure, and some sort of clipping function, and a tone KaNob to roll of high frequencies. I also get that in a non-GCX type application that the OD might be used to OD a first preamp tube (or a Dist pedal for that matter. But clearly those two Boss units sound complete different, and still similar.

So I tried an experiment. I turned on my rack rig (SMS/GCX > Mc250 w/ OBEL Strat). I then clicked on the trusty Earth Drive. Nice symmetrical overdrive, right.?.? And then I thought, since the output of the GCX & ED is going back to the guitar & then to the SMS I'd apply the drive function from my MuTron. (Overdrive …Right.?.)

All it did was get louder when I clicked on the Mu. Hmmmm. So it acts like a pretty darn clean gain stage. Not really like the OD I hear in the Boss at all.

So…what am I missing?? What is the intended difference between these devices. (I'll take the abuse…I don't know everything.)
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby mgbills » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:30 pm

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/effects-explained-overdrive-di.aspx

A decent overview for the uninitiated. Seems obvious after having read it. But ...do the RuKind search and see how many times these terms (other than fuzz) are creatively used.

http://guitargear.org/2009/11/05/overdrive-vs-distortion/
A slightly less wordy version.
mgbills

Postby mgbills » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:46 pm

So...my next question for the Tribe is...

In a GCX > OBEL arrangement does the GCX or the Buffer inhibit an Overdrive pedal from pushing the first preamp tube into clipping? In either a Twin pre or SMS situation, the question remains the same.

Perhaps I need to twist the Gain knob on that Mu to see if I can clip the SMS. I'm not that fond of preamp generated distortion, but it would be nice to sort out the difference.

Feel free to chime in.
mgbills

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Tony6Strings wrote:Waldo,
Have you tried an OCD? I'm curious to hear your opinion of this effect in a Jerry gear context.

I have tried it but not long enough to render an opinion.

mgbills wrote:http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/effects-explained-overdrive-di.aspx

A decent overview for the uninitiated. Seems obvious after having read it. But ...do the RuKind search and see how many times these terms (other than fuzz) are creatively used.

I am guilty of using the term "Overdrive" to describe the function for the bypass of the Mu-tron III but it is actually a Boost effect. Like a Distortion can be similar to an Overdrive, a Boost pedal can be similar to an Overdrive. Terms like Soft clipping, Hard clipping as well as No clipping follow these effects. A Boost for example generally should have No clipping, it should be transparent and boost the voltage going to the amp where it slams the front end of the amp inducing clipping there. Whereas an Overdrive does the same thing but itself has some soft clipping of the original signal going on which is very tubelike. Distortion, as the link stated, is an obliteration of the original signal when it is Hard Clipping.

Soft clipping, again as the link marty shows, is the rounding of the corners of the original signal. This type of clipping can be compressive and retain some of the original qualities of the original signal within this clipped signal. Hard clipping chops off the tops and bottoms of the waveform and does not retain much, if any, of the original signal. Earlier i stated Jerry used an Overdrive and a Distortion but should have stated that he used both a Soft and Hard clipper and i have always suspected a boost either with the Mu-tron III or the Ada 2fx.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:15 pm

kadidog wrote:Waldo, Thanks for the post. Great as usual

Any truth to the HM-2 Pedal being in the rotation. I have an older model MIJ model and it can get pretty darn close to those later 80s and Early 90's distortion tones; Miracle etc..

Yes, true.

Here is a breakdown i have worked out that begins with the visible use of the "80's" rack. That "80's" rack begins with the following effects, left to right, 4 spaces available for each shelf;
Top Shelf
Musitronics Mu-tron Octave Divider > Musitronics Mu-Tron III

Bottom Shelf
Wah > MXR Script Distortion+ > MXR Script Phase 100 > MXR Analog Delay

All years are +/- months but are relatively close.

Towards the end of 1979 the Boss DS-1 enters top shelf right after the MuOctDiv & Mu3. In 1980 it gets moved from behind to in front of the Mu-tron's and stays there until sometime in 1982. When it leaves, the MXR Dist+ briefly gets moved from the bottom shelf to the top before the Mu-tron's. Note, No Distortion or OD on the bottom shelf, just the Wah, Phase 100 and Analog Delay.

At the begining of 1983 the MXR Dist+ is moved back to the bottom shelf before the MXR phase but by the end of 83 the MXR Series 2000 Distortion + is placed before the Mu-tron's. The MXR Series 2000 stays there until around 1987ish.

The Boss HM-2 arrives and replaces the MXR Series 2000 Dist+ sometime in 1987/88ish. But by 1989 the HM-2 was replaced with the Boss Turbo OverDrive OD-2 and the MXR Dist+ was replaced with the Boss OverDrive OD-1.

In 1992 a Boss EQ is added to each shelf after both the Boss OD-1 and the Boss OD-2.

~waldo
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone