My Phiga Bolt - Questions for Bolt Owners?

Re: My Phiga Bolt - Questions for Bolt Owners?

Postby lightningbolt » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:41 am

mikelawson wrote:
lightningbolt wrote:Phil builds beautiful guitars but I don't think wiring is his strong suit. My bolt was the first one he built with a buffer....from Waldo. It came wired incorrectly and was always on....I went through about a half dozen 9 volts before I emailed Waldo and he diagnosed the problem.

How long ago was that? Maybe he's gotten better since then (I HOPE!) but I'm resigned to the level that as long as the guitar is built well and playable, being in Nashville, I can always get somebody awesome at wiring to get that right later. My bolt is getting the MIDI/Piezo Ghost system, which is modular in connecting, so maybe it won't be so hard.

It was about three years ago....so hopefully he has gotten better and in all honesty it was one wire that was wrong. As you said "as long as the guitar is built well and playable". Electronics can always be fixed....wood is forever.

Good luck with the new axe.....like Christmas in July.
lightningbolt
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby cripeowner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:45 am

The horn is where it is on my "Cripe" very well balanced no problem. The weight and specs could be different on Phils
cripeowner
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:47 am

All I can say is your jam space does have a nicer view than my finished basement. :oops: :smile:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 am

midnightrainband wrote:Hey,

While we're talking Phiga, I have a question. I have a Wolf from Phil and while it is amazing I feel like the split to single coil just doesn't sound quite right. It just seems to sound like less output but not a single coil. I've been wanting to have it checked out but have not got there yet. Anybody have an idea or experience like that? I'd appreciate any feedback as I want the perfect sound. Thanks!

That was one of the resons I did my own electronics on my Phiga Tiger. I'd heard those stories. Plus cost, plus I like doing electronics. A little poking around in the two cavities and comparing to the wiring diagrams on Waldo's site should answer your question. Follow the four little wires from the pickup. I think Tiger and Wolf had slightly different split coil wiring?

I agree that getting the wood right and constructing the guitar is by far the hardest part and most of us are delighted with Phil's work on that.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby mikelawson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks for posting those pics. I'm asking Phil to put the buttons in those places for me. Phil is treating me right on the cost of the build, especially given the complicated wiring of three humbuckers, coil taps, OBEL, UGB, and the Piezo acoustic/MIDI system install. At this point I'm expecting him to ship it on Friday, as I gave him a few more days to dig into the wiring to get it right. I've so far had a fabulous experience dealing with Phil, especially considering we've never spoken on the phone (or really needed to, for that matter).

My goal is to have this guitar in hand by Summer NAMM next weekend in Nashville. Since I'm an "exhibitor" with my day gig publishing pro audio books, etc., I'll be able to take the guitar to the show and try out some toys with it. :)
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby midnightrainband » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Didn't want to panic anybody. Overall, the elctronics are fine. The guitar sounds great. I'm just not sure on the coil split. Everything else including the Ghost midi funtions perfectly. Problem is, I don;t really know how to tell if it is wired correctly. I've looked at Waldo's diagram but my guitar tech tol me that there will be 2 wires coming from each pickup (not one). I guess I'll just have to open her up and see what's what (if I can tell). I'll report back when I get it figured out. Jeez, I've had it for a year not so it's not bugging me that much.

Mike..... You gotta write a review when you get it and let everyone know how you like it.
midnightrainband
tiger
tiger

Postby mikelawson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 pm

I certainly will. I expect it to arrive Monday. He said he went through the electronics multiple times to make sure everything was perfect. I can't wait to get my hands on it.
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:44 pm

I think the problem lies in the fact that the dawg ears/horns come to a point too sharp on gawens vs. a cripe or resurrection. There is more wood or meat on the latter where the strap button belongs.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mikelawson » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:54 pm

You're right Waldo, but I kind of like his cut. One reason I went with Phil was his "tribute" wasn't a replica. Even Alembic isn't getting their "tribute" spot on to Irwin. I'm modding the thing enough electronically to keep it from being a Jerry clone, but the shape and spirt is enough to pay homage to the fat man. :) With my Stanley Mouse art going on the cap instead of a bolt, that will help make it more "mine" too while stilling paying tribute.

My guitar should be here Monday. Can't wait. I'll post pics, etc. Happy 4th (albeit a rainy one) from Nashville, TN! :D

waldo041 wrote:I think the problem lies in the fact that the dawg ears/horns come to a point too sharp on gawens vs. a cripe or resurrection. There is more wood or meat on the latter where the strap button belongs.

~waldo
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jalevinemd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:00 pm

And if you look closely at Cripeowners Bolt, the strap lock isn't drilled directly into the apex of the dog ear, but just underneath where there's more wood. Not as extreme as mine. Tim could've moved mine up a bit and still been fine.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Absolutely cool that you get the guitar you want, with that said, it should be functional in ALL aspects as well as appealing. Having the button placed on that point is both unappealing visually as well as close to being unachievable because of the lack of wood to properly place a button. "If" it is achievable at all. Also what is the point of great cut, which it is, if your gonna just place a button right on top of it? I was not chiming in to relay that it does not match Cripes exactly or that your build should be an exact tribute in any way. Believe me when i tell you i know of Alembics need to not make theirs match for possible lawsuit reasons. I was only using the examples because the build is similar. The fact Cripes has more wood and a less sharp point. Makes the button placement more appropriate and a more appealing placement. Your button placement has issues, as well as a possible balance issue if the placement is moved somewhere else, because the builder did not properly plan the placement for a "cut" that appeals. That is what i was really trying to say with less words but i guess it came off that you should have bought a clone.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mikelawson » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:25 pm

waldo041 wrote:Absolutely cool that you get the guitar you want, with that said, it should be functional in ALL aspects as well as appealing. Having the button placed on that point is both unappealing visually as well as close to being unachievable because of the lack of wood to properly place a button. "If" it is achievable at all. Also what is the point of great cut, which it is, if your gonna just place a button right on top of it? I was not chiming in to relay that it does not match Cripes exactly or that your build should be an exact tribute in any way. Believe me when i tell you i know of Alembics need to not make theirs match for possible lawsuit reasons. I was only using the examples because the build is similar. The fact Cripes has more wood and a less sharp point. Makes the button placement more appropriate and a more appealing placement. Your button placement has issues, as well as a possible balance issue if the placement is moved somewhere else, because the builder did not properly plan the placement for a "cut" that appeals. That is what i was really trying to say with less words but i guess it came off that you should have bought a clone.

~waldo

Yeah, Phil explained that to me after I requested it there and he's gonna move it a bit below the tip under it a bit. I'm sure it will hang fine where Phil suggests it. I was torn on putting it there or the back on the neck joint like an SG. One thing nice about being back in Nashville is that if I do decide to move the button, I have luthier friends who can fix and cover the first hole so well you'd never know it was there.

No worries, it didn't come off that I should have bought a clone. I got ya!
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:25 pm

jalevinemd wrote:And if you look closely at Cripeowners Bolt, the strap lock isn't drilled directly into the apex of the dog ear, but just underneath where there's more wood. Not as extreme as mine. Tim could've moved mine up a bit and still been fine.

If you look at Jerry's Bolt you will see that the button is in the same location as the Cripe guitar posted here.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby mikelawson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Here's the pre-ship photo from Phil. Looks like he got it on the tip. I am in love and haven't even played it yet. He got everything where and how I wanted it.

It arrives on Monday. :smile:

waldo041 wrote:
jalevinemd wrote:And if you look closely at Cripeowners Bolt, the strap lock isn't drilled directly into the apex of the dog ear, but just underneath where there's more wood. Not as extreme as mine. Tim could've moved mine up a bit and still been fine.

If you look at Jerry's Bolt you will see that the button is in the same location as the Cripe guitar posted here.

~waldo
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby ccw3432 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:42 pm

That's one awesome looking guitar Mike. Let us know how it sounds and plays after you get it.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone