Re: Deluxe Reverbs and holding out for the right one

Postby Banana Boat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks bro...
Banana Boat
TC
TC

Postby gpilcher2001 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:05 pm

waldo041 wrote:Use extreme caution when working with the high voltage filter caps. Know how to discharge them properly before working on them. The voltages in that can are lethal and only a knowledgeable tech should be tinkering with them.

That said,

Probably should not look at these as a "slot 1 or slot 2" position. Even though i realize it can be looked at it like that, the important thing is to look at the individual high voltage supplies these caps are a part of and ensuring you have those wired up correctly. Changing the filter cap can from a deluxe to a twin supply, as you know, have some differences. You will have to look at your schematics of both amps to compare the differences and use a continuity meter to find out where each supply goes to. This will tell you how to layout and wire that can up properly. Double and triple check your work as well as test voltages when done or else you will lose some fuses, and probably will learn why they put those things in a separate can.

Extreme caution needs to be taken when messing
~waldo

+1 I have felt the sting of a tube amp and am lucky to still be here. BE VERRY CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mgbills » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:54 am

So...I pulled the chasis..

Replace the 0.1 uf with a 0.47uf 225p. Replace the 0.47 uf with a 0.33uf 225p. And finally ...replace the ceramic disc with a Silver Mica 220 pf. (**Edited**)

I think it sounds great, and it's a cool intermediate step before you decide to add the mid-pot. Or just play it if you like it.

Personally...I think my deluxe is going to get the SS rectifier. My 5U4 socket is woogity, so it might be time.
Peace
M
Last edited by mgbills on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby waldo041 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:33 pm

mgbills wrote:So...I pulled the chasis..

Replace the 0.1 uf with a 0.47uf 225p. Replace the 0.47 uf with a 0.33uf 225p. And finally ...replace the ceramic disc with a Silver Mica 22 pf.

I think it sounds great, and it's a cool intermediate step before you decide to add the mid-pot. Or just play it if you like it.

Personally...I think my deluxe is going to get the SS rectifier. My 5U4 socket is woogity, so it might be time.
Peace
M

I am sure you mean 220pf.... :-) :smile: :wink:

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mgbills » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Indeed! Indeed. My brain was taxed on the units, and I defer to Mr. Wald's expertise.

I was just playing my Deluxe, and it's a darn fine little amp.

Thanks for the help!

Peace
M
mgbills

Postby cripeowner » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:09 am

Deluxes are great. I have a RI and it's not bad. If you're looking for a 35-40 year deluxe they can get pricy and you might have repairs. These are pricy too! but I got a Carr Rambler. 22w pentode and 14 w triode with Treble Mid Bass a great reverb and tremolo. I gigged with my 6 piece band 2- drummers in the triode mode.14w pushing 1 E120 and a SMS earth drive in front for a little boost....yes I was miked but it worked out great (no sound clips that I know of it was a wedding) Carr makes some quality amps.
cripeowner
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mgbills » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 am

I occasionally find '68's still reasonably priced. Blackface with a silver faceplate. I was looking at CL yesterday. I tend to type in "Fender Reverb", and see what comes up. Like to find a Vibrolux for the collection, but not having much luck.

I like Carr amps too. I played a couple at Gryphon Guitars in Palo Alto. If you're ever in the bay area, and want to jangle some fine acoustic instruments, that is one of the best places. They had some electrics, but it's really the place to grab a vintage Martin.

Anyway, I liked what I'd read about Carr's. I love amplifiers anyway, and I'd love to own one...so I could take it apart :lol:
mgbills

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone