Good for Jerrified strat?

Good for Jerrified strat?

Postby PaulJay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Could any of you guys tell me if this Fender Showmaster is a good platform for Jerry mods? It's 24 frets and seems to be a nice guitar for the money. The body is Basswood with a Maple top. What tone would I get with Basswood? Any advice would be appreciated. I have too many guitars already but, i think this might be a good project. Thanks Paul http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/3752836908.html
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Re: Good for Jerrified strat?

Postby tcsned » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:26 am

Basswood, from what I remember is a lot lighter weight than the blocks of cement Jerry used. That'll give you a different tone somewhat. But it still looks like you might get a good Jerry axe out of it as long as it's playable.
tcsned

Postby Ddavis510 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 am

Paul FWIW I think you could get a much better starting point for the money. The Quilted top is likely to be veneer at that price point. The duncans have resale value if your swapping out to DiMarzio pups. I'd cruise Ebay and see whats hanging out in the 'neck thru' and 'neck through' in the search.
Ddavis510
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby strumminsix » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:30 am

Ddavis510 wrote:Paul FWIW I think you could get a much better starting point for the money. The Quilted top is likely to be veneer at that price point. The duncans have resale value if your swapping out to DiMarzio pups. I'd cruise Ebay and see whats hanging out in the 'neck thru' and 'neck through' in the search.

Agreed.

Honestly, lots of economical choices out there. There's a builder who'll do it for about the price of a new American Std Strt (which would be a good axe too for a project) and also Warmoth body's and necks can be pieced together.
strumminsix

Postby PaulJay » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Hey, I changed my mind on the showmaster. I found a good deal on a sunburst MIM strat. Has anybody Tigerized one of these? Thanks Paul
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby caspersvapors » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm

nm you said youre already not getting it
caspersvapors

Postby PaulJay » Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 pm

I bought the MIM strat today. I am going to order 2 Super 2's, Waldo buffer, pick guard from Warmouth. I am not going to use an obel. I have a Sds-1 for the neck. I know I need to get a stereo jack, New pots, and capaciters. Anything else I need? Can I use the stock 5 way switch and existing wiring? Do I use the Tiger schematics on Waldo's site? Sorry for the stupid questions. You would think I would know all this by now. Thanks Paul
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby milobender » Sat May 04, 2013 7:42 am

You don't need the stereo jack if you aren't going to implement the OBEL... The Tiger schematic uses the OBEL, so you'll have to modify it.

Brian
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby PaulJay » Sat May 04, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks Milo, But don't you need a stereo input jack to use the buffer?
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby milobender » Sat May 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Oh, sorry... you don't need the stereo jack to use the buffer, but you need the stereo jack to turn the battery off when you unplug :x

Brian
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Return to Jerry Tone