I miss my Jerry rig

I miss my Jerry rig

Postby Smolder » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Been playing in a gigging band the last few months that has nothing to do with the Dead. A cover-ish band with a great singer that does louis armstrong and tom waits kind of thing. Very fun, but I'm using a completely different set up - both guitar/pedal/amp. Really been trying hard to have it well rehearsed.

So last night I spent an hour (ok, two) with my SMS/MC50 and the Jerry pedal board... oh my lord have I missed that. Very sweet and just exactly the right tone in the right situations. What the hell am I doing not playing this? Just had to vent/gloat a bit.
Smolder

Re: I miss my Jerry rig

Postby ccw3432 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Doing those kinds of projects can be a lot of fun and great way to grow musically. Last year I took part in a project to play songs off the Nirvana Unplugged album. We were doing them really structured and I had to learn them with a lot more discipline than I'm use to. At times I wondered what I was doing and was amazed at how different music is when you're not doing much improvising. The challenge was not improvising and trying to get it exact. It was great musical excercise for me and I enjoyed it, but it's not quite the same.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Poor Peter » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:49 pm

ccw3432 wrote:Doing those kinds of projects can be a lot of fun and great way to grow musically. Last year I took part in a project to play songs off the Nirvana Unplugged album. We were doing them really structured and I had to learn them with a lot more discipline than I'm use to. At times I wondered what I was doing and was amazed at how different music is when you're not doing much improvising. The challenge was not improvising and trying to get it exact. It was great musical excercise for me and I enjoyed it, but it's not quite the same.
That's interesting. I never realized Nirvana was that structured. No sarcasim intended. Never really understood them. Kinda thought they were just a fad. I do like the stuff their drummer does tho. Can't think of his name right now.
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Smolder » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 pm

great points... I am having fun, and I know it's making me a better, more versatile player. The tunes aren't so drab, we cover santana, kings of leon, mumfords, green day... all over the map... it's just more tight and rehearsed than the improve stuff I'm used to, I do love and miss the Jerry rig though.
Smolder

Postby ccw3432 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Poor Peter wrote:
ccw3432 wrote:Doing those kinds of projects can be a lot of fun and great way to grow musically. Last year I took part in a project to play songs off the Nirvana Unplugged album. We were doing them really structured and I had to learn them with a lot more discipline than I'm use to. At times I wondered what I was doing and was amazed at how different music is when you're not doing much improvising. The challenge was not improvising and trying to get it exact. It was great musical excercise for me and I enjoyed it, but it's not quite the same.
That's interesting. I never realized Nirvana was that structured. No sarcasim intended. Never really understood them. Kinda thought they were just a fad. I do like the stuff their drummer does tho. Can't think of his name right now.

Ya really my point is that we were playing it pretty much note for note. Musically it's not that difficult but I'm not use to playing like that. I'm use to having more room to explore. The science of music vs. the art of music.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Return to Jerry Tone