Really, can anyone actually nail this tone?

Re: Really, can anyone actually nail this tone?

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Pete B. wrote:
waldo041 wrote:
boater1941 wrote: Did all known mods even the misterious unleaked mid pot sweep type resistance and cap in which I milked off well known jer's right hand man in gear modding who's not afraid to talk via instagram.

Can you show us what exactly Healy stated to you about this?

~waldo

Sheesh... I thought everybody had the mid-sweep mod by now. :wink:
fwiw, It's standard issue on Pedal Steel amps.

Wow! Do you actually think Jerry has that mod? You hear that shift in his mids?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:10 am

:wink:(wink/smile&nod).
C'mon Man, you know what I typically think... It's more about the woodshed than the soldering iron.
:cool:
Pete B.

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:54 am

Pete, has anyone disagreed with you about his approach to playing guitar? Or that it all starts there? I have read no where that anyone has disagreed with you. So with regard to his approach you are absolutely correct, no arguments there. However, :roll: , this thread is not about his approach to playing guitar, but is about the Tone he got from his equipment. This is something you choose to ignore either because you cannot hear it, or do not know what you are talking about. You rather make snide remarks with wink icons in an attempt to demean the subject. Case in point, your slipknot lessons are great examples of his approach to that passage, but the tone of your equipment in regards to his tone is not so great. You either can hear that or choose to ignore it. This is no way an attempt to demean your approach, which is spot on. It is merely an example of the difference between approach and tone. So with all that said, it is obvious that the two entities can be achieved without each other but what happens when they both go together can one make the other better or worse? Point is Jerry's approach affected his tone and his tone affected his playing. If this were not true, then the evolution of Jerry's playing would have went stale, boring and stagnant. All you have to do is listen to songs that span his playing years to hear the growth in his approach and his tone. With your thinking anyone who has his approach nailed also nails his tone. If that were the case i wonder why all the big name jerry players that do have that aspect down all migrate to get that last 1% of his rig tone nailed? Why rewire guitars, buy twin and mac amps or jbl's or try and emulate it digitally? Yourself included? Why the need for the gear if all one has to do is woodshed? It is absolutely the first step, but it is only a part of the equation, a really huge part but nonetheless only a part. For Jerry the two go hand in hand, for us who are not Jerry they are undeniably separate achievable entities. :wink:

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Oh Brother...
Uhhh, Can the guy who posted about the secret Jerry Mid/Shift Mod please email it to Waldo before he busts a nut?
Thanks in advance,
Pete B.
Pete B.

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Pete B. wrote:Oh Brother...
Uhhh, Can the guy who posted about the secret Jerry Mid/Shift Mod please email it to Waldo before he busts a nut?
Thanks in advance,
Pete B.

ugh!

Pete,

I believe that is a guy named Hawk who most already know around here. I was trying to bust his balls because he is actually referring to the mid pot taper mod I used to have posted most guys never saw, to include you. he is not talking about the mid freq shift mod most steel guitar players use. keep up the woodshedding!

~waldo
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Waldo, you shouldn't take my schtick so personally, Bro.
Pete
Pete B.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:30 am

A little levity!

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:37 am

Or....

"Tastes great!"
"Less filling!"

Wise-a man say, both componants needed for harmonious whole. Argue for eternity on proper fractions of both. Ommmmmm.........

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby lunasparks » Sun May 18, 2014 3:56 pm

So I thought I would revisit one of my favorite old threads! And in the spirit of trying to actually nail that tone, I figured I'd share some recent clips of my rig. There are three clips on playlist below that I've recorded over the past month. It runs 9 minutes or so and you may want to skip around, at least to the middle meat of each clip:

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/sets/spring-2014-jerry-tone-sampler

As always, I'm keenly interested in any constructive criticism on the tone and its proximity to Jerry's! So, please, tell me what you think.
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:29 am

lunasparks wrote:So I thought I would revisit one of my favorite old threads! And in the spirit of trying to actually nail that tone, I figured I'd share some recent clips of my rig. There are three clips on playlist below that I've recorded over the past month. It runs 9 minutes or so and you may want to skip around, at least to the middle meat of each clip:

As always, I'm keenly interested in any constructive criticism on the tone and its proximity to Jerry's! So, please, tell me what you think.

Is that an AxeFX? :wink:

~waldo
waldo041

Postby lunasparks » Mon May 19, 2014 8:25 am

waldo041 wrote:
lunasparks wrote:So I thought I would revisit one of my favorite old threads! And in the spirit of trying to actually nail that tone, I figured I'd share some recent clips of my rig. There are three clips on playlist below that I've recorded over the past month. It runs 9 minutes or so and you may want to skip around, at least to the middle meat of each clip:

Is that an AxeFX? :wink:

~waldo

Until an AxeFX can recreate the tone of the Mac power transistors clipping with the meters pegged, I'll have to stick with my analog rig! There's clean tone and then there's Jerry's very dirty cleans....
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby JustinJohn » Mon May 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Your tone is spectacular!
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby lunasparks » Tue May 20, 2014 4:27 am

JustinJohn wrote:Your tone is spectacular!

Thanks! It's a work in progress, but I feel I'm getting ever closer. :cool:
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby shadowboxer » Tue May 20, 2014 2:50 pm

I agree with JustinJohn, sounds very authentic to me. Not sure what Waldo thinks.
shadowboxer
Donna
Donna

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone