Really, can anyone actually nail this tone?

Re: Really, can anyone actually nail this tone?

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:25 pm

I'd let that '91 RFK Wang Dang go- it was the Dark Star that killed..... ;-)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Pete B. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:56 am

waldo041 wrote:Jerry's playing will ALWAY'S sound like Jerry. I honestly believe no one can argue with that. We all understand that the only way to truly nail jerry is in nailing how jerry played the guitar. It is belittleing and disrespectful to continually bring up that fact and completely disregard the other part of what also contributed slightly to that tone he got all those years. Jerry played like Jerry, yes, but jerry through 3 twins and the peanut is different sounding then with tiger through the twin pre and mc2300 or bolt through the trios to the board. Yes, it is jerry playing it, but it does not sound identical. Why is that? What is he doing playing wise that makes those rigs with different equipment sound different. Could it actually be that his gear altered his tone and in some way maybe altered the way he played to some extent? If so, could those properties be achieved for my own playing or should i forget trying to nail those aspects just because i am not jerry nor do i play like him? Or since jerry sounded like jerry on any guitar he played, any one can nail those 83 tones with a blues junior and a squier strat as long as they play like him? Nope, my ear as well as few here on this board would not be fooled. If it was as simple as picking up any guitar or amp and you can sound like anyone, there would only be one guitar and one amp.

~waldo

In my expieience, put on the Jerry you want to sound like from whatever era, and play along with it.
It's totally doable to dial in a tone that sounds just like Jerry with alot of different gear.
To think your going to be able to match every tonal nuance from any era would kinda ruin the whole mystique, no?
Alot of players on this board can entertain a crowd of DeadHeads with a Squire Strat and a Blues Jr.
Last edited by Pete B. on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete B.

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 am

Pete B. wrote:

To think your going to be able to match every tonal nuance from any era would kinda ruin the whole mystique, no?

I cant recall anyone ever saying they had to " match every tonal nuance from any era " - Most here go after a single tone like 80's or 70's ....
Since you quoted Waldo -
Waldo said " It is belittling and disrespectful to continually bring up that fact and completely disregard the other part of what also contributed slightly to that tone he got all those years "

Me thinks we are just counting the angels dancin' on a pin at this point...
Luv ya Petey B. - you are A-OK in my book , bro !
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Pete B. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:35 am

I hope he's not saying that "I" am being belittling and disrespecting to anyone.
These are just my opinions having spent thousands of hours practicing.
Pete B.

Postby pedalpoet » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 am

Having just cruised through this thread (w/o actually listening to any of the links YET) I have to say this is one hellova fun and informative read. Thanks guys! I'll be using every bit of this one for quite a while methinks. :cheers:
pedalpoet
bruce
bruce

Postby lunasparks » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 am

pedalpoet wrote:Having just cruised through this thread (w/o actually listening to any of the links YET) I have to say this is one hellova fun and informative read. Thanks guys! I'll be using every bit of this one for quite a while methinks. :cheers:

Imagine how happy I am to have started the thread! Such a great discussion and great group.

In reaction to some of the more recent posts, I have a few thoughts: I personally draw a meaningful distinction between Jerry's playing and his tone(s) through the years. His playing is immediately recognizable...and subtle, moody--all that stuff Dylan said. Absolutely. But to echo Waldo, there's also this intriguing, engaging progression of tones over the years. And to a certain kind of listener, this is a huge element in our appreciation for the man and his art. I'm fascinated (my wife would say obsessed!) by this evolution and really enjoy studying it, diving in, trying to figure it out...and where I find what he was doing especially provocative at some point in time, I like the idea of trying to capture some of that sound for myself, discussing it with others, doing the forensic analysis. At each step along the way, there's a special thrill in getting close, if not just exactly perfect! I suspect that many others are like me: you know the average listener--and even the average Deadhead--doesn't really care about any of this; you know that maybe 90% of the magic was simply in the man's hands; and you know that total replication (in your own bedroom?) is a long shot at best. But that's not what it's about, anyway. There's a special kind of magic in some of those tones that simply fixes your attention. Hey, what can I say...Jerry was a late 20th-century Pan equipped with a battery of badass flutes! Some of us are forever under the spell.

Now...really, can anyone actually nail this tone? :-)
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby Chinarider1A » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:48 pm

All I know is that each time I discover something different in Jerry's playing, it opens up a whole new puzzle to unravel. His playing had so much depth that at times its difficult for me to wrap my head around it.

For tonal comparison, here's a short clip of us at the Boulder Theater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VGISRiaQK0
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Postby mgbills » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Abso-Freakin'-Lutely!

And I hope I didn't come off as dogging anyone at all. That was not my intent. Every time I analyze a passage that Jer played, and see the kaleidoscope of notes he could tease around an A progression...it blows my mind. I wish I could hold it all in there, Man.

And that is a tasty-licious Cumberland Chinarider...I might add.
Last edited by mgbills on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:59 pm

^^^^Wow - nice playing and singing ^^^^^
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Chinarider1A » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Thank you very much! Its fun playing with those guys..If I can brag a bit about them....That's Rob Eaton from DSO on rhythm; our bass player, Jim Allard, will be taking over the bass duties for DSO on the summer tour! Also, our drummer, Jake Wolf, runs the "school of rock" at public schools in Avon, CO and was nominated for an Emmy for his work....As for me, I play along with Dead concerts in my basement and drink beer!
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Postby tcsned » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 am

Chinarider1A wrote:As for me, I play along with Dead concerts in my basement and drink beer!

Well, you must do it a lot 'cause you sound awesome! You guys playing during the Further Red Rocks run? I'll be in the area and would love to check you guys out.
tcsned

Postby Chinarider1A » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:08 am

Thank you! That means a lot coming from someone on this forum. We only play when Rob is off tour, so thats usually 12-15 times a year max. I'm not sure what their tour schedule is yet for September, but maybe we can meet up for a beer at the red rocks shows?? I havent gotten tickets yet, but I usually manage to make it to one or two.....

Regards, Dave
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Postby tcsned » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 am

Chinarider1A wrote:Thank you! That means a lot coming from someone on this forum. We only play when Rob is off tour, so thats usually 12-15 times a year max. I'm not sure what their tour schedule is yet for September, but maybe we can meet up for a beer at the red rocks shows?? I havent gotten tickets yet, but I usually manage to make it to one or two.....

Regards, Dave

Dave, sounds good, I'm going Friday and Saturday. Looks like I'm gonna see a Rockies game on Thursday. I'll drop you a note as it approaches. Haven't been to the Rocks since 1985.
tcsned

Postby Chinarider1A » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Sounds good.
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Postby JustinJohn » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:44 am

Gotta say it Tigerstrat - you were absolutely nailing it Thursday night! Tone, sound, feel, vox too!

Great stuff!!

=)
JustinJohn
Pigpen
Pigpen

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone