Questions on servicing a newly-bought, functioning McI

Questions on servicing a newly-bought, functioning McI

Postby Jon S. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:23 am

So my first McI, an MC50, is incoming as I type. It's perfectly functional and in rather good cosmetic shape, too, but has never been serviced before so I want to have the unit gone over and the cord, caps, etc., replaced at the outset. I just got a quote back from a highly recommended shop for this work and, to be frank, it's quite a bit higher than I'd been expecting based on what similar work would run for, say, a BF Fender. So here are my questions:

- what's a reasonable rate for this type of work based on other McI owner's experience?

- what exactly should I expect will be done in connection with this type of servicing, and what not to expect?

- for other McI owners, did you "upgrade" your units' connections, either with 1/4" or banana plug jacks, as part of your servicing on your own units?

Thanks much.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: Questions on servicing a newly-bought, functioning McI

Postby mgbills » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:11 am

Hey Jon,

I had my Mc2100 serviced by Pat at http://classictubeaudio.com/.

I had 1/4 jacks put in the unit, and the full service was $325.00. Pots were scratchy, and intermittent.

Great guy. Easy to deal with. Really knows his stuff. He has a full service classic audio shop, and prefers to work on McIntosh's.

Don't know how that compares, but my 250 will go there in a couple of months. I told him I wasn't interested in a restoration, but did want the amp 100% to spec. For example, the bottom of the 2 of the 2100 face plate is broken. Doesn't bother me at all and didn't want to pay for a new one.

Hope this helps.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Re: Questions on servicing a newly-bought, functioning McI

Postby TRG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 am

Another thing I did to my 250 (in addition to the 1/4" inputs, recap, etc...) was swap out the 2 prong cord on my 250 for a 3 prong IEC inlet, so that I can just remove the plug when transporting and plug back in when ready. Been working great for me...
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Return to Jerry Tone