Peanut Reissue...

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby tatittle » Fri May 31, 2013 5:23 am

Wowzers. Duane Allman was my original guitar hero and my first electric was a LP Custom I saved up to buy. When I played in a h.s. band a friend brought out an old Gibson from his dads basement and gave it to me for the next 5-7 years of moving about the country. Turned out to be a 1959 ES-335 Dot in perfect shape...the Bobby tobacco sunburst kind. While I loved the hollowbody breathing and unique tone of the Dot, I was partial to the meticulous bound ebony fretboard on Custom. Unfotunately, I ran into the kid who said his father wanted the '59 Dot back (duh), and taking the devil too close into my inner circle led to the sale of the LP Custom a few years later.

In my 2nd life as a guitarist I have replaced melody and a tad of traditional theory and dexterity for the soulful tone of unrestrained youthful passion I used to possess. Jerry became more of a role-model musically, and single coil Fenders articulate the general goal better for me today, but I miss the power and ease with which I manhandled that shorter scale ebony fretboard. There is something about the 1st guitar (scale/neck) one learns to play on that makes it the most comfortable forever it seems, and for me it was the ebony Les Paul Custom neck that appears to have been commandeered for that early Alembic effort.

Much gratitude to Rick and the other craftsmen, artists and tinkerers 'round here. It occurred to me the other day that there are 2 types of people: those that create (work) primarily in order to CONSUME; and those that consume in order to CREATE (labor of love). It is getting tougher and tougher to be part of the latter group it seems, both culturally and under increased pressure from big business and big gov't. Of course reality dictates a balance of some ratio; Care and patience are often the biggest factor in determining the quality of a project, which is at odds with maximizing profit or merely sustaining the endeavor. It may cost considerably more to purchase the patience and love involved with quality, but it goes deeper than the product..it affects and shapes our whole culture.
tatittle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 am
Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:51 am

I found this doing a google for something else. Clearest photo I've seen of this one- same guitar?

Image
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2066
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby gdeloian » Sat May 30, 2015 9:46 am

so what became of this baby???
User avatar
gdeloian
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:36 pm

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby 8-6-71 for me » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Did the Peanut reissue happen?
User avatar
8-6-71 for me
bruce
bruce
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby lightningbolt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:24 am

I found this on the Alembic forum about the peanut prototype. Also a mention and photo of another confirmed Irwin build.

http://club.alembic.com/index.php?topic=13172.0
User avatar
lightningbolt
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby lightningbolt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:50 am

Regretfully Tiff Garcia passed away on 9/10/17

It looks like he owned Peanut all these years:
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A5EC00F
Last edited by lightningbolt on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
lightningbolt
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby Free Jazz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Wow. Nice find.
'Never really heard much about or from Tiff.
RIP.
Free Jazz
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 am

lightningbolt wrote:Regretfully Tiff Garcia passed away on 9/10/17

It looks like he owed Peanut all these years:
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A5EC00F


Fascinating. The link is only to the photo, I can't find the background story anywhere. Link to that?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2066
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby lightningbolt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:07 am

TI4-1009 wrote:
lightningbolt wrote:Regretfully Tiff Garcia passed away on 9/10/17

It looks like he owed Peanut all these years:
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A5EC00F


Fascinating. The link is only to the photo, I can't find the background story anywhere. Link to that?



Here is the link to Tiff Garcia's Facebook page where I found the photo. What I think is even more interesting is the picture of Tiff's band from the early 70's where his Amp is standing on it's side and he is going into a HT 2x12 loaded with what looks like JBL's. It begs the question....Is the vertical amp Tiff's idea or Jerrys?

I assume the HT 2x12 was a gift from his younger brother as well.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Tiff-Garcia ... 620/posts/
User avatar
lightningbolt
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Very cool! Thanks.

lightningbolt wrote:What I think is even more interesting is the picture of Tiff's band from the early 70's where his Amp is standing on it's side and he is going into a HT 2x12 loaded with what looks like JBL's. It begs the question....Is the vertical amp Tiff's idea or Jerrys?

I assume the HT 2x12 was a gift from his younger brother as well.


It's just a "Garcia thing". They all did it that way... :lol:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2066
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby FrettyBoy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:47 pm

lightningbolt wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:
lightningbolt wrote:Regretfully Tiff Garcia passed away on 9/10/17

It looks like he owed Peanut all these years:
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A5EC00F


Fascinating. The link is only to the photo, I can't find the background story anywhere. Link to that?



Here is the link to Tiff Garcia's Facebook page where I found the photo. What I think is even more interesting is the picture of Tiff's band from the early 70's where his Amp is standing on it's side and he is going into a HT 2x12 loaded with what looks like JBL's. It begs the question....Is the vertical amp Tiff's idea or Jerrys?

I assume the HT 2x12 was a gift from his younger brother as well.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Tiff-Garcia ... 620/posts/


WOW, does Tiff look like Jerome there or WHAT??!!
User avatar
FrettyBoy
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Re: Peanut Reissue...

Postby lightningbolt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:47 pm

I had to do a triple take. Especially with the vertical head and the HT 2x12. Same posture as Jerry as well.

Does anyone know what kind of head Tiff is using?
User avatar
lightningbolt
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TI4-1009 and 5 guests