SMS Reverb vs. Real Tube Reverb?

SMS Reverb vs. Real Tube Reverb?

Postby GratefulMets » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:54 am

Hey Folks,

My current rig includes an Alembic F-2B and TubeWorks RT-921 Real Tube Reverb. It's a great combination, and it's served me very well for many years. But alas, my GAS has kicked in, and I'm considering replacing with the SMS Preamp. Given all the feedback here, I have no doubt that the SMS would probably be an overall improvement in the preamp realm, but I'm concerned that the digital reverb might be a step down from the RT-921 in the reverb department. Thoughts?

Thanks to all for any feedback, and Happy New Year!

-Larry
GratefulMets
bruce
bruce

Re: SMS Reverb vs. Real Tube Reverb?

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:09 am

Hi Larry Welcome !
I went from a Twin to the Sarno Rig - I was totally skeptical about the digital reverb and I just love my Twins Spring reverb ....
Anyway ...... It turned out to be unnecessary worrying ....it sounds like Heaven ... Cant live without the Sarno now !
You got a bunch of other gear - might as well get some more !
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tcsned » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:25 am

I love the digi reverb in the SMS. I was also skeptical of moving away from a spring reverb after years of my Twin and Boogies but I don't miss 'em at all. Perfectly voiced for guitar, Brad did his homework :-)
tcsned

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 am

Think of it like this:
Twin = tube amp spring reverb
SMS = studio clear reverb
strumminsix

Postby mgbills » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 am

And it doesn't sound like a blacksmith shop when you bump it!
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby ccw3432 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 am

Agreed. This was my biggest concern before deciding to purchase the SMS. I went for it based on comments I heard here. The reverb rocks! I like it better than the spring reverb on my Fender HRD.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby cripeowner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 am

I would not say it's better or worse just different. I love my SMS and I love my Deluxe reverb. Each has it's own characteristics. In long run run though you eliminate rack space and extra chords going to the SMS.
cripeowner
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 pm

mgbills wrote:And it doesn't sound like a blacksmith shop when you bump it!

That's a negative in my book- I love that sound! :-)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby mgbills » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Yea. It reminds me of my Old Man's garage...but it also makes me think that beautiful jingly-jangly sound is about to acquire a short that'll need repair/replacement.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby GratefulMets » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I figured as much, am convinced, and have placed my order. I actually tried to snag the used SMS from Guitar Center, and got part way through checkout before I was distracted by a shiny object outside my window (squirrel!). When I returned to finish, I find that some other hippie Gearhead had beat me to it! Congrats on having a longer attention span than me! :-)

Looking forward to the new centerpiece of my rack. Now all i need is a moderately priced pair of e-120s and i think my rig should be good to go. Oh, I probably need some good cabs for those speakers. Oh, and an MC250. Oh, and a Moriarty Tiger. "And this ash tray, and this paddle ball game, and this remote control, and that's all I need....!"

Hmmmm....unless....I just scrap it all and go with the AxeFX! When does it end?!

Thanks again!
-Larry
GratefulMets
bruce
bruce

Postby Stella Bloo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Larry,

It never ends, that's the fun of all of this and why we are on this crazy board. You won't be sorry, I ordered the SMS and never have looked back. Can't quite pull off the MC250 or any other MC due to cost and finding one that doesn't need work. (I am technically challenged) so running it through a Rocktron Velocity 300 and into a 2X10 with JBL K-110's. I know the MC is a key piece but the SMS and JBL's are probably as close as I am going to get. Getting it all together is a blast and everyone on this board has been so helpful, it really is in the spirit of the Dead that this exists online.

Good luck!

Mark
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Postby redeyedjim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:50 pm

HI Larry,

I may be a lone voice of dissent here, but as much as I love my SMS -- and it truly is an exceptionally voiced preamp that's well worth its cost -- I'm not crazy about its reverb section. I tried to bond with it but never did, so now I keep it turned down and use something else instead. Currently, that's a Neunaber WET Stereo Reverb; the stereo model has a tone knob and upgradeable firmware. It's great, even when used in a mono rig. That said, it's probably still a few steps behind your RT, IMO, but see what you think of it once you get it. Hell, you may love it.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Jon S. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Stella Bloo wrote:Larry,

It never ends, that's the fun of all of this and why we are on this crazy board. You won't be sorry, I ordered the SMS and never have looked back. Can't quite pull off the MC250 or any other MC due to cost and finding one that doesn't need work. (I am technically challenged) so running it through a Rocktron Velocity 300 and into a 2X10 with JBL K-110's. I know the MC is a key piece but the SMS and JBL's are probably as close as I am going to get. Getting it all together is a blast and everyone on this board has been so helpful, it really is in the spirit of the Dead that this exists online.

Good luck!

Mark

FWIW I'm quite happy with my RV300. The key for me is turning the Reactance down and the Definition way up.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby claytushaywood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 am

does the SMS use the belton brick for reverb? those things are quite phenomenally realistic, I never tried one until recently when I built a reverb pedal using one, wow
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby jeager » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:14 pm

I really like the SMS reverb!!! Very happy with it and I have tried lots of different units out there and many of them sound phony to my ears, the sms is lush and does everything i need it to do. Plus, its nice to have one less box to plug in.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Next

Return to Jerry Tone