In-ear monitors?

In-ear monitors?

Postby FBlades95 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Does anyone know the exact time when Jerry used in-ear? What was he getting from the in-ear, as apposed to the monitor wedge?

Also, does anyone (or fellow bandmates) use 'em around here? If so, for guitar? Vocals? Band feed? Combo of different feeds?
FBlades95
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: In-ear monitors?

Postby gr8fullfred » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:53 pm

There was a great article in the Pro Sound News that talked about the Dead's move to IEM.
Apparently they were the first major act to do so.
I thought that the vocals cleared up a bit when they went to them...........
But, I also felt that "they" were in a different zone then "us"
It was early 90s,
if you look at pics, Jerry's 3x12 is not on the stage, it was under the stage, in another box, miked.
If you really want the inside skinny, find the pro sound news article.
gr8fullfred
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Re: In-ear monitors?

Postby zambiland » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:56 pm

I've been using in ears for quite some time. Since one of my other endeavors is as a location recording engineer, I decided that it was pretty easy to just bring my split, my interface rack and some nicer mics than most venues have and make an awesome mix for myself and whoever else wants it. These days, the drummer uses his iPad to hook up to my rig to make his own mix.

I use Metric Halo ULN-8s to capture the instruments and vocals. I'm a big fan. Some of the best interfaces out there. The mix is made in the Metric Halo console, although I use Logic as a mixer for the drummer to make his mix. Earbuds for me are Future Sonic MG5Pros (a bit smoother frequency response than the 6s). It sounds utterly amazing every night.
zambiland

Return to Jerry Tone