Issues with Tiger tribute guitar, Kustom '36 Coupe amp (36w)

Re: Issues with Tiger tribute guitar, Kustom '36 Coupe amp (

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:08 am

playingdead wrote:Waldo, how can the wiring work if the pickup volumes are before the buffer and the loop? The effects would not always see the full signal from the pickups, which defeats the primary purpose of the loop. Unless there's a master volume in there, as well, which does not work well, as it causes a pretty significant output drop having two volume pots in series. We tried that in a Scott Walker guitar and it needed a booster to push the output back up, which increased the noise.

playingdead makes a good point. If it's as it looks, you have an OBEL in name only- it doesn't do (electronically) what an OBEL is built for. It will work just the same as if you had your effects between your guitar and amp (single cord out of the guitar), like with a "regular" guitar. The only advantage you have is that you can turn the effects on or bypass them with the toggle switch, but they're not "seeing" the pickups directly- the signal is going through (at least) your pots first.

Jer devised the OBEL so he could have that stability with his effects- so they always responded the same no matter what. I think he said that he could get that with a regular setup in the controlled conditions of a studio, but when they were out in the real world, big stadiums, varying voltages, etc. he lost that repeatability. But frankly, do us mortals really care? But for most of us in "our world"- can we hear the difference? Maybe only for the envelope filter?

Just one other thing to check- you do have the correct cable set- right? The OBEL cables have three-connection plugs- tip, ring, shaft. The out-to-amp plugs are regular 1/4" two connector plugs. And they have to be plugged into their matching jacks. Just trying to figure out why it seemed to work at the shop but not when you got it home....
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Pete B. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:36 am

That is a beautiful guitar!
I'm sure you'll get the wiring worked out and will be loving life.
Looking at the tailpiece, bridge, and the way the saddle intonation is currently set, I think I know who built it, cause I've got a guitar at the house right now that arrived looking nearly identicle in that area. I could be wrong.
Do open chords and barre chords all sound "in-tune" up and down the neck with the saddles(/intonation) set as they are in the pic? It looks like the saddles are in a straight line from strings 1-5, with string 6 being a little farther back.
Pete B.

Postby jeager » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Get somebody to do the wiring correctly. It will be well worth it.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Soooo.......?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby mijknahs » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Todd,

What I'd recommend is to totally re-do the electronics and do it just like the original Tiger (replace the dual pots with standard Volume-Tone-Tone). Have a good local tech follow the wiring diagram on Waldo's site to a "T". You will be totally happy with the results and that guitar will sing!

I'm also in the LA area (South Bay - Torrance) so let me know if you want to check out any of my gear or guitar (I also have a cocobolo/maple Jerry tribute guitar).

Jim
mijknahs

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone