Help with octave choices?

Re: Help with octave choices?

Postby waldo041 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 pm

The musitronics mu-tron III's opto is obsolete, and if you are lucky you can try to get a close sounding modern day electro harmonix version as those are obsolete as well. The qtron+ is vastly different then the original beigel collaborated qtron. The power supply and input buffer are the difference between the original mu-tron and original qtron. a couple of the original qtrons should be tested to get a sweet one, but the mu-tron's overdrive feature is unavailable since the eh version is true bypass.

As for the mutron octave divider and the byoc divided octave, in an a/b test the byoc version sounded exactly as the original in every setting tried. Imo, if it were a blind test you would not discern any difference between the two. Byoc did an amazingly accurate job of reproducing the original. That said, yes you can get a better tracking octave divider, but the muoctdiv is a very nice and organic sounding pedal. you will need to raise your pickup height and use some higher output pickups to get it to do it's thing. Probably why Jerry didn't have a problem with it for all the years he used it.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TRG » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:15 am

I've just picked up the BYOC Octave Divider and it sounds great. I thought it was pretty easy to dial in.

My current settings after the first try are:
Stabilize = On
Ringer = On
Tone = 4 o'clock
Mix = almost 2 o'clock

Curious what other's whom have this pedal use for settings (i.e. Cat's Under the Stars)??
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby NSP » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 am

TRG wrote:I've just picked up the BYOC Octave Divider and it sounds great. I thought it was pretty easy to dial in.

My current settings after the first try are:
Stabilize = On
Ringer = On
Tone = 4 o'clock
Mix = almost 2 o'clock

Curious what other's whom have this pedal use for settings (i.e. Cat's Under the Stars)??

Just about finished building mine last night, down to just the wiring on the stomp switches. Once I get it up and running I'll try your settings and let you know my observations. Thanks for the info.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TRG » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:26 am

NSP wrote:Just about finished building mine last night, down to just the wiring on the stomp switches. Once I get it up and running I'll try your settings and let you know my observations. Thanks for the info.

Cool, thanks! Just to note, I haven't tried it in a band setting yet...was just messing around with a small practice amp, so those settings may not be good. I didn't really understand what exactly the stabilizer and ringer were doing , but to my ears they sounded better on. Good luck finishing it up.
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby NSP » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:30 pm

TRG wrote:
NSP wrote:Just about finished building mine last night, down to just the wiring on the stomp switches. Once I get it up and running I'll try your settings and let you know my observations. Thanks for the info.

Cool, thanks! Just to note, I haven't tried it in a band setting yet...was just messing around with a small practice amp, so those settings may not be good. I didn't really understand what exactly the stabilizer and ringer were doing , but to my ears they sounded better on. Good luck finishing it up.

Got the divided octave up and running and I must say I really like it and was a fun build. It plays well with the MuIII, especially with the bridge humbucker (DAllen). I'll use it for band rehearsal tomorrow. After the initial round of tweaking here's the settings I was liking:

Stabilize = Off
Ringer = Off
Tone = 1 o'clock
Mix = 1 o'clock

I'll post some sound clips when I get a chance.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:15 am

waldo041 wrote: The qtron+ is vastly different then the original beigel collaborated qtron. The power supply and input buffer are the difference between the original mu-tron and original qtron. a couple of the original qtrons should be tested to get a sweet one, but the mu-tron's overdrive feature is unavailable since the eh version is true bypass.
~waldo

Anyone know what the differences are between the early EH Qtrons and the current Qtrons and Q+s (aside from the loop)?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby TRG » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 am

NSP wrote:Got the divided octave up and running and I must say I really like it and was a fun build. It plays well with the MuIII, especially with the bridge humbucker (DAllen). I'll use it for band rehearsal tomorrow. After the initial round of tweaking here's the settings I was liking:

Stabilize = Off
Ringer = Off
Tone = 1 o'clock
Mix = 1 o'clock

I'll post some sound clips when I get a chance.

Cool, getting together with band tonight, so I'll try those out. Thanks!
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Ddavis510 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 pm

+1 on the BYOC octave divider. Thats what I use. I'm building the nautilus envelope filter from madbean right now(another mutron work alike...but we've all heard that a thousand times). I'll post soundclips when its done.
Ddavis510
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Mosfed » Sun May 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Hey

Could anyone who has them send me the template stickers for the Mutron Octaver? I just built a BYOC and would love the stickers.

Federico.cribiore@gmail.com

Many thanks
Federico
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby NSP » Tue May 14, 2013 7:01 am

Mosfed wrote:Hey

Could anyone who has them send me the template stickers for the Mutron Octaver? I just built a BYOC and would love the stickers.

Federico.cribiore@gmail.com

Many thanks
Federico

Email sent....enjoy.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Mosfed » Thu May 16, 2013 2:18 am

Thanks so much for your prompt and very helpful email.

MOST kind.
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby schmidtz » Sat May 18, 2013 10:41 am

Can I annoy someone for that graphics file?

schmidtz123@hotmail.com

Thank you all! :hail:
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby NSP » Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 am

schmidtz wrote:Can I annoy someone for that graphics file?

schmidtz123@hotmail.com

Thank you all! :hail:

email sent...
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 pm

I finished my BYOC Divided Octave using Two Foot Skunk's hot-dang graphics. I also got ahold of a copy of the Mu-Tron OD Instructions. I wanted to see what it said about the Aux Out:

"An impedance-compensated, unmodified output. Use for deriving (sic) other effects totally separated from the Octave Divider."

"Use of the AUX output allows for connection to another amp, a wah/volume pedal, an echo unit, etc. to be made. Use your imagination. This output functions like a "powered 'Y' cord", as it produces the sound of the instrument "cleaned up" but otherwise unaltered."

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby TeeJay » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm

How do I go about getting that same enclosure? I googled two foot skunk graphics and got nothing. I have been looking at the divided octave to replace the Oc-2 and that nice enclosure puts it over the top. :hail:
TeeJay
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone