DS-1, anyone?

DS-1, anyone?

Postby Tony6Strings » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Howdy. I got out the DS-1's yesterday, in order to do a proper A/B before modifications. I compared an '82 MIJ DS-1 with a current production Taiwan model. The difference is night and day. The old (Japan) pedal is great, for certain applications. I can see why Jerry used one for a while, it can be dialed in to go with his playing style/tone very nicely. The new pedal sounds like the drive channel of a cheap solid state amp, with the treble dimed and the mids/bass turned all the way down. The old pedal is staying in stock condition of course. The current production model, I'm going to mod to Keeley Ultra/Seeing Eye Mod specs. Anybody use a DS-1, new or old, modded or stock? Also, any info on when exactly Jerry was using one of these, and what his settings may have been?
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Re: DS-1, anyone?

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Would love to hear if it makes it a real ds1 after the mods. I think they're the same circuits right?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:26 am

Can someone please remind me of when Jerry used a DS-1? Or better yet post a photo?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 am

tigerstrat wrote:Can someone please remind me of when Jerry used a DS-1? Or better yet post a photo?

Don't think he did, it was an OD1 that was his pedal. But the old DS1's sound great. To be honest I am really happy with my distortion/OD choices. The CTO, hm2 and didgitech hardwire tube OD have made me pretty happy.

The digitech has an active EQ that when set just right is completely transparent. Actually more so than my CTO for slight clipping.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:22 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Can someone please remind me of when Jerry used a DS-1? Or better yet post a photo?

I've seen a few pics of Jerry's pedal rack with an orange Boss pedal. Looked like it could be the DS-1. The pics must have been from around 1979 or 1980.

This shows a Boss-like pedal to the right of his MuTron pedals. Not a good pic but I can't find a good one right now. I've seen one in color that shows an orange pedal.
http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/ ... img012.jpg

Also per Waldo:
viewtopic.php?f=419&t=11137&start=15&hilit=boss+distortion
mijknahs

Postby waldo041 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 pm

~waldo
waldo041

Postby mijknahs » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:46 pm

I knew you'd come through with the pics!

Here's the real question: When (and how) did he use the DS-1 as opposed to the MXR? I love this era but I don't know when he's using what distortion.
mijknahs

Postby helio » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 am

Tony6Strings wrote:Howdy. I got out the DS-1's yesterday, in order to do a proper A/B before modifications. I compared an '82 MIJ DS-1 with a current production Taiwan model. The difference is night and day. The old (Japan) pedal is great, for certain applications. I can see why Jerry used one for a while, it can be dialed in to go with his playing style/tone very nicely. The new pedal sounds like the drive channel of a cheap solid state amp, with the treble dimed and the mids/bass turned all the way down. The old pedal is staying in stock condition of course. The current production model, I'm going to mod to Keeley Ultra/Seeing Eye Mod specs. Anybody use a DS-1, new or old, modded or stock? Also, any info on when exactly Jerry was using one of these, and what his settings may have been?

I'd agree about the vintage vs. new DS-1s. I've tried new ones a couple times, but never liked 'em. Came across an '83 version in a pawn shop, and liked it. Different ballgame.

For modding new ones, you might also check out Analogman's Pro/Midrange mod. I had it for a while. Wish I still did. Really expands the abilities of the pedal.

http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm#DS1
helio
TC
TC

Postby Tony6Strings » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Performed the mods (Keeley Seeing Eye/Ultra). The new modded pedal is great. Not really back to vintage spec, although there is a mod for that. It's more of a different thing entirely. Very good for a number of applications, all around a great distortion pedal. Thought about the Analogman mod, maybe another time. These things go for like $20 on Craigslist so you could easily do all the mods out there for not all that much money.
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Does anyone know: does the (MIJ) BOSS Super Distortion & Feedbacker pedal have the same circuit as the DS-1 Distortion?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby drewfx » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:32 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Does anyone know: does the (MIJ) BOSS Super Distortion & Feedbacker pedal have the same circuit as the DS-1 Distortion?

According to "The BOSS Book" (Hal Leonard):

"Compared with the DS-1, the unit has greater high-range emphasis due to filter processing after clipping"
drewfx
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby gpilcher2001 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Build your own clone has a clone of the original ds-1. they have a good a description of the difference between new and old. Plus all the mods. Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:29 pm

I'll be darned. A nice mini-trove of 1980 images popped up on the Flickr GD Photos group, and... blurry shot of Jer, but an orange BOSS can be made out.

tigerstrat

Postby Jerry1996x » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Thought I would ask this hear....

Im fixing my friends DS-1, it had a fried diode, D1 if i remember correctly. Im no expert but I can solder. It said it was a 1N4004 diode, so i got some and put the new one in. When i plugged it in, I got a high pitched droan coming out of the amp, not ear peircingly high. I wasnt sure if direction mattered so i flipped it, and the same thing only the droan was lower pitched. Any ideas?
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 am

I'd go higher pitched for lead, lower for rhythm :lol:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Next

Return to Jerry Tone