Dimarzio Super Distortion vs. Super Distortion II

Re: Dimarzio Super Distortion vs. Super Distortion II

Postby cmc64 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:51 pm

jenkins wrote:Awesome info Waldo & exactly what I was looking for.

I know my bridge pup is too low and I think it's got The wrong single coil being activated when split as well.

jenkins wrote:& you can't just unscrew the super II as flip it to make the active coil on the neck side right? It needs to be rewired?

I am stuck on this exact issue. So for both the middle and bridge humbuckers, you want the north coil active when split, correct?

As far as achieving this, is it a simply wiring issue or is it the positioning of the pickup (unscrewing the pickup and flipping it) per the above quote? The guitar is going to the luthier in a couple days - I think this is the last detail I need to have straight (now that I have the pickup height concept nailed) before it goes under the knife. It's a Strat, going with the SDS-1 neck, Scott Walker Single-Coil Super II in the middle and a Dual Sound in the bridge.

However, after hearing how happy people are with the SDS-1 in the middle I may go that route instead. Decisions, decisions...
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby gpilcher2001 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:11 am

Here is a link that should explain wiring the humbucker backwards and keeping it in phase. The schematic is at the bottom of the page http://www.wald-electronics.com/rosebud.html. There is plenty of talk on here about north south coil which is which. Do a little searching and you''ll find it. Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby cmc64 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:06 am

gpilcher2001 wrote:Here is a link that should explain wiring the humbucker backwards and keeping it in phase. The schematic is at the bottom of the page http://www.wald-electronics.com/rosebud.html. There is plenty of talk on here about north south coil which is which. Do a little searching and you''ll find it. Greg...

And my dumb-ass should have known right where to look - I thank you very much.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby Jon S. » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:47 am

Earlier this year, I rewired my Jerrycaster with a 3-way minitoggle for my middle Super 2 that gives me north coil-both-south coil. I do hear the different and prefer one coil over the other but it's splitting hairs (or should I say, PUPs). I'm confident representing, though I know this is not what people want to hear and it opens me up to allegations of lacking discernment that only us RUKINDers would care. Almost if not totally no one else in your audience would care or even hear the difference in a live ensemble setting. Bottom line: if YOU care, experiment to satisfy yourself as you're the one who will care the most.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby jenkins » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:00 pm

cmc64 wrote:
jenkins wrote:Awesome info Waldo & exactly what I was looking for.

I know my bridge pup is too low and I think it's got The wrong single coil being activated when split as well.

jenkins wrote:& you can't just unscrew the super II as flip it to make the active coil on the neck side right? It needs to be rewired?

I am stuck on this exact issue. So for both the middle and bridge humbuckers, you want the north coil active when split, correct?

As far as achieving this, is it a simply wiring issue or is it the positioning of the pickup (unscrewing the pickup and flipping it) per the above quote? The guitar is going to the luthier in a couple days - I think this is the last detail I need to have straight (now that I have the pickup height concept nailed) before it goes under the knife. It's a Strat, going with the SDS-1 neck, Scott Walker Single-Coil Super II in the middle and a Dual Sound in the bridge.

However, after hearing how happy people are with the SDS-1 in the middle I may go that route instead. Decisions, decisions...

So what did you end up using in your middle position?

I'd say it depends on what era you're going for. IMO if you're going for the 77 tone the SDS-1 is the way to go all the way, but that's jmo.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby cmc64 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:03 pm

I am getting over my head in guitar builds these days but for my Strat (I have all the parts - just gotta put 'em together) - I am using Super Distortions in the middle and bridge, and I am gonna put my Scott Walker Single Coil Super 2 in the neck. The Strat is the experiment guitar, so why not delve from the norm (SDS-1) and try the Scott Walker? I can always yank it out if it doesn't work. As far as the S.D.'s, well I dig Fall 1977 (I know Strat single coils) -> January 1979 and the JGB tour of Feb -> March 1980 - and since I have the Mesa MK IIA -=> JBL K-120 2x12 the S.D.'s seemed to make the most sense. We'll see how it goes.

The biggie build is gonna be slick when done but I since I can't mortgage my house for a guitar it will take time - but I am patient and the Strat will see me through until the Tiger/Rosebud/Not Sure Yet is done. :smile: :-). Siamese Cat inlay, anyone? Is that too looney? :lol:

cmc64
Billy
Billy

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone