Does anyone else think JK's sound is totally diff. than JG's

Re: Does anyone else think JK's sound is totally diff. than

Postby Counterstriker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:35 am

It's funny you brought him up, He is definitely a great bass player, but i just don't get the same thing out of it from when i listen to furthur, or phil and and friends. When they played at World Cafe Live here in Philly they played on a tuesday night. Every monday night they have a Open mic which attracts ALOT of people from Philly, my band plays there often. Well for our 15 set we did Deal into Flashlight (Parliament song), when we got done the set this guy comes up to us and said he totally dug us and that he's happy to see musicians our age playing Dead tunes, he talked to our bass player for about 5 minutes talking about people he should check out. I had no idea who he was.. the next night i went to see 7 walkers, turns out it was George Porter Jr! He came out just to check the place out the night before it turned out. He was very friendly and a great guy.
Counterstriker

Postby vwjodyme » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:54 am

not to get side tracked from the bass stuff, but i just wanted to add something to the OP.

when he posted pics of his alembic a long while back on FB i asked if he was going to swap out the pick-ups for super 2s, and he said something to the effect of, after years of trying to copy JG's tone he is now trying to develop his own
vwjodyme

Postby tcsned » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:24 am

vwjodyme wrote:not to get side tracked from the bass stuff, but i just wanted to add something to the OP.

when he posted pics of his alembic a long while back on FB i asked if he was going to swap out the pick-ups for super 2s, and he said something to the effect of, after years of trying to copy JG's tone he is now trying to develop his own

Good for him!
tcsned

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:25 am

I don't think Alembic would be very happy about JK using any other p/ups.

+1 on GP JR!

George is one of the most underrated bass players of all time. I love 7 Walkers and the Meters all but invented New Orleans funk. I still prefer the Meters to Parliament or any other funk outfit. I even caught a Mule show in Chicago with George taking the bass chair for the first set and Jason Newsted for the second. It was weird, but that show solidified my love for Mule and their adaptability. And it was the first time I saw Warren sing a song from cue cards held up by Farmer. Classic.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone