Budget Jerry Rig

Re: Budget Jerry Rig

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:24 am

barefootdave wrote:Is that guitar a Moriarity?

i believe it is a Michas.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Smolder » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:04 pm

That's some really good tone and great playing, I just wish I could hear more of it. Maybe it's the crappy sound on the recording, but his guitar is deep down in the reverb... I wish I could hear more of him and less of the 'room'.
Smolder

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:13 pm

On this subject how important do you guys think obel is I am working on the new build and am thinking about adding obel and the pickup tapping switch is it worth the trouble ?
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm

gdrfk1990 wrote:On this subject how important do you guys think obel is I am working on the new build and am thinking about adding obel and the pickup tapping switch is it worth the trouble ?

are you after jerrys tone and consistency he got from it? if so, then know he used the OBEL from Dec 31, 1977 until the end. and he stated himself that he uses the middle humbucker split the majority of the time, not that he didn't use the other options he had, just that was where he started things at ie his base tone. my opinion is Yes, if you are after an authentic jerry tone, from your rig, then have the middle humbucker splittable, and install the OBEL. you will glad you did!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby saylorsong » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:06 pm

I wanted to share a find I made a little while ago.

I have been looking for an affordable power amp I could use with my SMS Classic pre. I didn't like the way the Mesa 50/50 sounded with it. It seemed to get lost in the mix when I played with other guitar players using Tube amplifiers. The sonic qualities were just too similar. So I found a tube works Mosvalve power amp that sounded surprisingly good. It separated the the sonic qualities of my amp in very pleasing way.

I was happy with this for a while until I bought a BGW 750 power amp made in the early eighties. It was only $50 so I took a gamble. It is by far the best sounding power amp I have found. The fact that they are so cheap may have something to do with how much these thing weigh. I have never picked up a Mac 2300, but I can't imagine it weighing much more than this thing.
At first the weight was a concern, but after using it and comparing it to the other options I have, I have realized this amp is definitely special.

It's worked great for me, and if any of you guys come across one for a reasonable price, check it out, I think you'd be surprised.
saylorsong
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby hawk900 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:40 pm

No Dimarzio's No Fender or MacIntosh. Factory Carvin pups, hughes kettner pre amp (blues meister,cream machine,many more tube types jbl e or k and any class a or b solid state amp.
hawk
I just scored a cream machine for 200 on ebay. It has a 5x12axl 4xEL84 pre amp config. MC2100 is up now for cheap.

http://youtu.be/keeZ1KjPiXc
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:05 pm

That sounds nice. What's the pickup setting?

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby mijknahs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:47 pm

That video sounds really good.

hawk900 wrote:No Dimarzio's No Fender or MacIntosh. Factory Carvin pups, hughes kettner pre amp (blues meister,cream machine,many more tube types jbl e or k and any class a or b solid state amp.
hawk
I just scored a cream machine for 200 on ebay. It has a 5x12axl 4xEL84 pre amp config. MC2100 is up now for cheap.

http://youtu.be/keeZ1KjPiXc
mijknahs

Postby Bear62 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:02 pm

I have a Fender Prosonic w/ 2 x10" Fender Custom Shop 60 watt Celestion speakers that sound great w/ my Waldo buffered guitar. Really balances out nice when I add the 2 x 12 SSP w/ Weber Neo's. It is all a matter of finding what tone works for you. I got the amp, and had it serviced by the tech for less than a pair of JBLs. Perhaps, one of these days I will get to play thru some! The search continues! To Nick B. Thanks for setting me up w/ Joe C. He is a GREAT Tech!

G
Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Mosfed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:26 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I know, I know. I can't let it go. Jerry died two deaths in my world. Once in '93, again in '95...

B

One major reason why the JGB at the Warfield was so worth it in the later years...
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Mosfed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:30 pm

waldo041 wrote:
gdrfk1990 wrote:On this subject how important do you guys think obel is I am working on the new build and am thinking about adding obel and the pickup tapping switch is it worth the trouble ?

are you after jerrys tone and consistency he got from it? if so, then know he used the OBEL from Dec 31, 1977 until the end. and he stated himself that he uses the middle humbucker split the majority of the time, not that he didn't use the other options he had, just that was where he started things at ie his base tone. my opinion is Yes, if you are after an authentic jerry tone, from your rig, then have the middle humbucker splittable, and install the OBEL. you will glad you did!

~waldo

I know he used the middle pickup more often than not, buti didn't know that he usually split it. Interesting..... Thanks Waldo!
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby gr8fullfred » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:58 am

Ok I have said it before and I will say it again, a Mesa 50 caliber amp has alot of what you want in a relativity in expensive rig. All tube with a fender like preamp. If you stay away from the high gain channel it is very fender-ish, with alot of tone control. 50 watts Mesa Tube power. You can find them for 500-600 maybe less. If you stuck a JBL in there, it would be even better obviously.

Flame away!
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone