Re: Mosvalve VS. RV300???

Postby spacefunkologist » Wed May 09, 2012 5:39 pm

By the way, your rig sounds great!
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby TRG » Wed May 09, 2012 6:01 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Yes excuse me, you're correct strumminsix, the Mosvalve does have a presence control. It isn't called a definition control, like Rocktrons, which works much like a presence control, but not exactly the same.
How do you like the Mosvalve TRG?
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Hey hippieguy1954, I actually don't really use it. I bought it as a back up for my MC250. However from the small amount of time that I've messed around with it, I like the sound I can get out of it...just not as much as my mac! :-)
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:23 am

spacefunkologist wrote:Jon S. I love that rig man!! Simple, light weight and good lookin to boot!!!

How do you like your speaker choices? Ive been toying with the idea of trying some JBL alternatives myself. Im tired of trying to hunt down good JBLs and paying for them too!

Ya don't have to hunt for these, but you do have to pay! http://www.usspeaker.com/JBL%20e120-1.htm These are exact clones of E120's. Exact same specs. etc. I have two E120's and two new Liberty8's. I can't hear any difference at all!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Thu May 10, 2012 5:56 am

spacefunkologist wrote:How do you like your speaker choices? Ive been toying with the idea of trying some JBL alternatives myself. Im tired of trying to hunt down good JBLs and paying for them too!

Thanks for your kind words for the rig.

Regarding my speaker choices, I'll be honest: I'm off the JBL bus. I'm prioritizing weight over tone. Sure, I need to be be in the ballpark for Jerry tone but no way in hell am I carting around a 2X12 containing a pair of 20 lbs. each speakers no matter how "perfect" they sound. So factoring in how my pair of speakers weigh a total of 12 lbs. together, yes, I'm quite happy with my current choices.

With my SSP 2X12, I started out with a pair of Weber NeoMags with aluminum caps but was not happy with the tone. At the volumes I play at (i.e., not driven very hard at large stage volumes as did Jerry with his JBLs), I found the aluminum caps shrill on top and the speakers, overall, whimpy in the lower mids.

Now I'm pairing a Weber NeoMag with a paper cap with a Jensen Neo 12-100. The NeoMag has, to my ears, a sweet high end and chimey upper mids. The 12-100 contributes classic Fendery highs and robust lower mids. The latter are very important to me for "my sound" as, consistent with Jerry's settings (and Waldo's exhortations :smile: ), I am now convinced of the merits of setting my preamp's bass control near zero!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone