I have a confession to make

Re: I have a confession to make

Postby paulinnc » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:51 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:As long as you are not sitting admiring your gear day after day instead of playing your alright. It is however a great feeling when you are happy with your tone and don't have thoughts in the back of your mind of how it could be better when playing!
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Guilty :?
paulinnc

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:03 am

This forum definitely helps me narrow down what i really want and will use. Unlike when i first started and would buy random stuff that ended up not being what I really wanted.
That said I have a ton of stuff I still want and a ton of stuff i still need to figure out how to use :lol:
vwjodyme

Postby Jon S. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:32 am

If tone is viewed as a journey not an end, perhaps the best outcome is to be both HAPPY with one's tone and OPEN TO (as opposed to obsessing over) how it could be better. That's how I'd view myself at present, I believe.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Pete B. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:10 pm

It's supposed to look like this, right?...
Pete B.

Postby paulinnc » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Pete B. wrote:It's supposed to look like this, right?...

So does the stereo fx loop cable split into two when it goes into the effect unit?
paulinnc

Postby redeyedjim » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:55 pm

paulinnc wrote:So does the stereo fx loop cable split into two when it goes into the effect unit?

Basically -- you can see that it's portrayed as a Y cable just after its connection to the guitar, with two separate mono cables running to/from the effects switching unit. Think of it as a two lane road with traffic going in both directions, packaged into a single stereo cable for convenience. At some point, those separate signals have to go their own ways, as one is carrying the raw signal from the pickups (FX Send) and the other is carrying the post-effects signal (FX Return).
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby JustinJohn » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Lol Pete...

I find that I play guitar at least 2 hours every day, and obsess over gear about that much as well. Lately I've been moving stuff around on my pedal board, and I found a neat trick with my low-gain overdrive pedal that works in tandem with the Qtron to get that distinct late 80's Jerry mutron sound - found it by accident, quite happy about it!

I'm playing in 2 bands now - GBB: a dead cover band, and another 3-piece electronica jamband that I plan on trying to tour with and blow minds... Between the two bands, each with different pedal configurations, I'm constantly dicking with my gear. =)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 pm

more like this PeteB,

Or,

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks Waldo!
I like those cartoon-ee pics of Jer's rig.
79-81 are the years I saw them most ("Nassau Spectrum Garden" was a tribute-band-name I was considering at the time) so those schematics fit my timeline.
I picked up a script MXR Distortion+ yesterday, but not sure it's for me (I had one in high school, but not since like '81).
It sounds exactly like some Jerry things, like the solo from Help On The Way for one, or "Might As Well" tone, but is way to heavy for most stuff I play.
I might take it back within 7 days.
It seemed to overwhelm the Mutrons, I couldn't get a good Stranger tone.
So far I have been running it last in the pedal order.
Mu_Oct>Mu_III>Dist_+.
They had two Script MXR Dist+ pedals, a '75, and a '76.
The 76 sounded like it had more output and less distortion, but the 75 sounded more like my memory of a Dist+.
They were noteably different sounding.
Pete B.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:22 am

Pete B. Have you checked this out? I've been using the gold/yellow box for a few months now and like it very much. It sounds exactly like the original Mxr D+ I had back in the '70's.
For me (depending on the song etc.) it is always gonna be the Gold Box or the DS-1 Japan or the Earth Drive.

http://whirlwindusa.com/news/rochester- ... ts-pedals/

http://www.whirlwindpedals.com/

http://www.whirlwindpedals.com/michael_ ... erview.pdf

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone