New Pedal Day!!!

New Pedal Day!!!

Postby guitarcats » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:21 am

I have always wanted a Mutron III since I became a head back in the 80's but never really made the effort. I always had an envelope filter of some kind, was never satisfied with them so I probally went through 6-8 different ones. Well the wait is over and all I can say is WOW :shock: Now I know what the big deal is all about. I currently have a Q-Tron and ran them side by side and the Mutron is the real deal hands down. Very organic and smooth to my ears and great to have a another cool vintage pedal. It was sent to Richard at lsounds for a cleaning and tune up along with one of his power supplies. Well worth the money but wish I would have jumped around 5-7 years ago when I had the chance :-)

guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: New Pedal Day!!!

Postby Jon S. » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:13 am

Sweet - enjoy! :smile:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby mgbills » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Evening Friends, Nobles, & CountryBoys&Girls,

Well I decided to hijack this old thread to Celebrate (WhooHoo) a new addition to the toy box. I may have even figured out how to upload an image.

Seattle, CL. Gots some crackly pots, and a squishy Drive switch. Hooked it up using some Pete B. posted settings.

Wump. Wump. WumpWump. WaWump. WaWump. Waaaa. WumpyWumpWump. Think Estimated.

Stole it, by todays price standards. I'll send it off to the tune-up feller & HEHEHEHHEHE. Yea!

Some days...you just get lucky.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby bdhact1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:46 am

You should have bought it back in the 80s when they were still dirt cheap.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mgbills » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Well I'm feeling pretty good about the whole deal. $250. Much better than $880 or whatever that Minty one is on Evilbay. Sorry to say that I didn't have time for any Mutron's in the '80's. When I wasn't chasing girls, I was on Dead Tour. For that matter either verb combo in the last sentance could be switched, and most of the whole sentance could be interchanged.

There was no time for Mutron's in the '80's! The Media & movies had just spent 20 years educating our female compadres that over-consumption & promiscuity were OK.

Mutron. Not a priority until the last 10 years :roll:

What a beautiful world we all live in.

Peace
M
mgbills

Postby zambiland » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm still kicking myself for not buying all three when Daddy's in Boston had them on sale for $50 a pop ca. 1991.
zambiland

Postby Pete B. » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:46 am

Nice!
That's the first time I ever read the intro to Est-ee... sounded just right.
:cool:

I run both dials just a scosh below straight up, like, 11:59.

Be gentle with that switch and it might perk up.
Gently sweeping those knobs might clean up the scratch-ee-ness.
That is great, Marty!
Pete B.

Chek it out you guys, in the top left corner of this post (to the left of Re:) I put an Icon that is the power supply input to a Mutron III.
:hail:
Pete B.

Postby waldo041 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:02 pm

although that pedal more then likely needs some new electrolyic capacitors. some quick shots in the pots and switches with some contact cleaner will work wonders!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby seniorpesca » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:50 pm

congrats! my mutron is in the mail as we speak
got it 350 on ebay but without a power supply

mad excited to get it. does anyone have experience with buying the Lindenberg power supply?
seniorpesca
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:24 pm

two 9v>coaxial clip adapters + two separate 9dc wall warts, maybe $25 total ... no special supply needed. Have posted it multiple times but people still talk about exotic P/S's; been powering my M3 ($35 at House Of Guitars in 1989 :smile: ) for years.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby hawk900 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Yep you got a rea mutron3 envelope from musictronics. Glad you didn't get suckerd in got the HAZ one. Out of all the envelope filters other than your newest is the DOD440 is the next best thing because the qtron was designed for EH from one of it orig designers musictronic designers and now they have a micro version that just eliminates the up/down button for around 80bones. I have both q-trons and the 80 bone micro ...even a dogs ears couldn't tell the diff from yours,full size qtron with exact controls as you and the micro except yes the micro doesn't quack up.....only down whicg I think jer played every anyway.
The biggest prob with any and even the best envelopes is the high string high notes. I believ jer used a boss EQ to take the earpiercing out of the envelope highstring high notes so he wasn't limited to the Gstring and lower which especially the D,A,and low E sound are the best through this assuming you use low pass. I couldn't imagine how terrible it would in anything other than LP. Good find and way to be vintage.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Pete B. » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:49 am

Here's a'nudder one:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/2945493757.html

From Lingenberg Sound:
Later Mu-Tron III's with power cord made by ARP: They need further calibration and a mod to make them sound as intended. This mod will make them sound more like the older vintage ones. The problem with this version of the Mu-Tron III is that they usually sweep too fast and high. Also the down mode usually will not sweep down all the way. The mod and calibration will slow the attack/ decay, set the top frequency of the sweep to factory specs and will also make the down mode function correctly.
Pete B.

Postby guitarcats » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:48 pm

seniorpesca wrote:congrats! my mutron is in the mail as we speak
got it 350 on ebay but without a power supply

mad excited to get it. does anyone have experience with buying the Lindenberg power supply?

Yep and it works great. I believe that on the website it shows none in stock so you will have to email him and tell him what you want.
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby zambiland » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:17 am

tigerstrat wrote:two 9v>coaxial clip adapters + two separate 9dc wall warts, maybe $25 total ... no special supply needed. Have posted it multiple times but people still talk about exotic P/S's; been powering my M3 ($35 at House Of Guitars in 1989 :smile: ) for years.

Rochester NY? I bought a whole mess of weird pedals from their junk drawer in the early 90s. they had the weirdest shit.
zambiland

Postby mgbills » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:08 am

Tigerstrat...
House of Guitars. Haven't even thought of that place in years! I used to live just outside of Ithaca. Saw the Dead (and everyone else) at the Rochester War Memorial. Great sold out show there ...maybe '85. Found my 2nd favorite tie-dye of all time in the gutter outside. We used to stop at the House of Guitars to prowl through the t-shirts in the basement. I wasn't a musician yet at the time.

You from that area?
M
mgbills

Next

Return to Jerry Tone