Distance from PUPs to the strings cont.+wiring options

Distance from PUPs to the strings cont.+wiring options

Postby hawk900 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:56 am

Sorry kinda hijacked the other thread.

That's it bro. I use a DPDT(2pole2throw) on/on/on. My neck PUP is set for series/single south/parallel. Middle and Bridge are set for series/north on/south on. Seymour Duncan has great diagrams on their site just watch out because the colour codes are diff from dimarzio but the cross reference is simple. The tonal options are great with the dp104's dimarzes. Split Coil is the cleanest brightest tone but non hum cancelling so must be in phase both magnetic and wired eg.rosebud middle PUP flipped which is only required if you plan on using two pups both split and on at the same time. Not sure if Jer ever used two pups on. I never do but the option is there with the 5way selector.
If any of you get a chance and don't want to use these switches period. You can designate and hard wire pups to be in a curtain mode at all times and just send the appropriate wire to the pup selector. Not too many peeps talk about the second cleanest but not as pungent wiring mode which is parallel and is hum cancelling. On one of my SG's I hard wired all pups and the neck dimarz dp104 was wired in parallel,middle was split south and bridge was wired split north. Parallel wired 104 is great for those Jer semi bland rhythm strumming intros eg. touch,bertha,terrapin,standing,etc . Then either flicking on a split coil for lead or just volume boost the parallel sounds phenomenal. I believe Jer at one point used a volume pedal with the return spring removed so he could click it forward and take his foot off without having to hold it down and just click it back when time to sing.
Series mode(default wired bucker) not sure if Jer ever used unless needed a major volume or distortion boost like a DEAL outtro closing jam.
Sorry didn't mean to hijack will start a new thread.
Just remember the correct order of tweaking the distance of the strings from the pups. 1st make sure to check your guitar's intonation. If out of wack set properly and after don't mess with string pup gap by lifting/lowering bridge saddles.2nd Adjust gap with pup screws as stated. 3rd have fun in Jerry land.
hawk.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Distance from PUPs to the strings cont.+wiring options

Postby Jon S. » Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 am

Quick follow-up question. I looked at a Tiger wiring diagram and couldn't tell. On the original Tiger, when the middle humbucker is split, is the active coil the one closest to the bridge or the one closest to the neck?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:00 am

"Those who refuse to learn the lessons of history are condemned to repeat it."
-Santayana

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=426&t=11524&start=30
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Jon S. » Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 pm

hippieguy1954 apparently said in that thread that it's the coil closest to the neck that's active and I don't see that anyone disagreed so I assume that's the answer (what your quote has to do with it escapes me but that's allright).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Return to Jerry Tone