Mu-tron III vs. Haz Mu-tron III

Mu-tron III vs. Haz Mu-tron III

Postby guitarcats » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 am

I have a line on the Haz and was hoping to see if anyone has done a comparison and to see if its worth getting. I like the fact it looks just like the original without dropping the coin.
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Mu-tron III vs. Haz Mu-tron III

Postby guitarcats » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:59 am

nevermind I just found an old post on this and it wasnt good
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby bstormwind » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 am

Yep. Go for a q-tron. Gets you where you need to be. Mine sounds pretty damn good next to my original Mutron. Plus if you spill beer on it, it will be less of a bummer.
bstormwind
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:41 am

I've been using the Proton envelope filter. It is hand made by Spencer, who is 3leaf audio and a very nice person to deal with (no affiliation).
There are numerous threads in this forum about envelope filters. Do a search for envelope filters and you will get enoumous results.

Also, check out the Proton here: http://www.3leafaudio.com/products/prot ... pe-filter/ :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:41 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:I've been using the Proton envelope filter. It is hand made by Spencer, who is 3leaf audio and a very nice person to deal with (no affiliation).
There are numerous threads in this forum about envelope filters. Do a search for envelope filters and you will get enoumous results.

Also, check out the Proton here: http://www.3leafaudio.com/products/prot ... pe-filter/ :smile: :smile: :smile:

Q-Trons Mu-trons and Protons - oh my !
Hey man could you do a quick little vid of the proton ?
I know of one RUKINDER out there that is looking at getting one ...
Maybe you could help him w/ pulling the trigger !
+ if he gets one could try it out
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby redeyedjim » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 am

I know this topic is basically resolved, but that's never stopped me before :lol:

I have both an original, recently recalibrated MUIII and a Proton, and while the Proton is a great little pedal, it's not a Mutron III. I would post a clip comparing the two I but broke my Proton over the weekend and it's currently on its way back to Spencer for repair (he's great guy, BTW, and is quick to answer email and support his gear).

I'm certainly not an expert, but having both pedals I can tell you the original MUIII has a syrupy quality to its output that the Proton just doesn't match. The Proton is great in its own way, though, and it does a very credible envelope filter effect, but the MUIII has an "organic" quality to its sound that's very, very sweet, with some nice warm overtones. I've never played the HAZ version of the MUIII so I can't comment on that. Same goes for the Q-Tron: I haven't played one, but it seems to be well liked on rukind.

I don't know if the above is helpful, but I'll post some A/B clips once I get the Proton back from Spencer.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:I've been using the Proton envelope filter. It is hand made by Spencer, who is 3leaf audio and a very nice person to deal with (no affiliation).

Q-Trons Mu-trons and Protons - oh my !
Hey man could you do a quick little vid of the proton ?
I know of one RUKINDER out there that is looking at getting one ...
Maybe you could help him w/ pulling the trigger !
+ if he gets one could try it out

Hey Jedi, I'd love to do a quick vid with the proton, but I'm not set up for vids or sound that I can easily post here, right now...sorry. If my memory serves me well, Spencer at 3leaf has sound clips on his web site. Also, he is adding an internal switch (on all new Protons) so the user can switch from a 47k resistor to a 68k for a longer, more Mutron-like decay!
Mine does not have the new internal switch, so Spencer is sending me the 68k resistor and instructions on changing it. I think it will sound even better with longer decay.
Personally, I am very happy with the Proton. It does have to be tweeked with its' controls, but so does the Mu-tron.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby redeyedjim » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:13 pm

hippieguy1954, I did the 68k resistor mod to my Proton and yes, it made the Proton much more Mutron-like in terms of decay, which was the one thing that bugged me about the Proton. The Proton's tone is still a little sterile when compared to the Mutron, but in terms of response and playability, it's a big improvement over the Tron effects in my Line6 M13. I'd rank these as Mutron III >>> Proton >>>>>>>>>>>Tron in M13. Take this for whatever it's worth.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:31 pm

redeyedjim wrote:hippieguy1954, I did the 68k resistor mod to my Proton and yes, it made the Proton much more Mutron-like in terms of decay, which was the one thing that bugged me about the Proton. The Proton's tone is still a little sterile when compared to the Mutron, but in terms of response and playability, it's a big improvement over the Tron effects in my Line6 M13. I'd rank these as Mutron III >>> Proton >>>>>>>>>>>Tron in M13. Take this for whatever it's worth.

Yea redeyedjim, I always thought the decay was a tad short too. Otherwise, it does a great job and after I do the 68K resistor mod, it'll be very sweet.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Jedi, tell your friend if he doesn't like it, you will buy it from him for $150. And if you don't like it, I know I can get $130 for it. :lol:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:09 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Jedi, tell your friend if he doesn't like it, you will buy it from him for $150. And if you don't like it, I know I can get $130 for it. :lol:

:-)
redeyedjim wrote:hippieguy1954, I did the 68k resistor mod to my Proton and yes, it made the Proton much more Mutron-like in terms of decay, which was the one thing that bugged me about the Proton.

interesting .... now I am really curious
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Jerry1996x » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:03 pm

would it be worth the coin to mod a mu3+ to original specs? i dont know how different they are. how big a difference would an effects loop make?
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Jerry1996x wrote:would it be worth the coin to mod a mu3+ to original specs? i dont know how different they are. how big a difference would an effects loop make?

They are totally different circuits. The + is only MuTron-like on the outside.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby hogan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:07 am

I can haz mu-troncheezburgerz
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Jon S. » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:03 am

redeyedjim wrote:hippieguy1954, I did the 68k resistor mod to my Proton and yes, it made the Proton much more Mutron-like in terms of decay, which was the one thing that bugged me about the Proton. The Proton's tone is still a little sterile when compared to the Mutron, but in terms of response and playability, it's a big improvement over the Tron effects in my Line6 M13. I'd rank these as Mutron III >>> Proton >>>>>>>>>>>Tron in M13. Take this for whatever it's worth.

Did you precede your Tron Up model w/the Boost Comp? It's the only, & indispensable, way to get a quality Tron sound out of the M13 - if I have time, I'll add pics of my M13 settings to this thread tonight.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Next

Return to Jerry Tone