Jerry Garcia Pickup Positions

Re: Jerry Garcia Pickup Positions

Postby boater1941 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Epiphone SG is the modder of all. Stronger neck than Gibson due to past probs and 25.5. I have a Phred Liar I mean Liger.........sitting next to me. I own two untouched Gibson SG's. The Epiphone SG is identical down to the mil. Who would buy one of these? I received a wolph and a liger for my store window.
So many people have approached me and ask why that no name sg is so over priced. LOL Not even dimarzios innit.
boater1941
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tatittle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:34 pm

SG's are 25 1/5"? Thats news to me, I briefly had one with P90's but the imbalance of it (along with the baseball bat neck on mine) meant it didnt last long. Its amazing how much different a 25 1/2" feels compared to a 24 3/4"; with my small hands the Fender necks really limit my reach...but mostly on "diddley diddley" type flash I guess, I am far more interested in ideas that go somewhere than mere licks strung together these days, but flash is a real spark if not overused.

North = Neck ; N = N

There are different overtones depending on where the string is "miked"(p'up), most notably on whole fractions (1/4, 1/8 etc.) I believe. I have read it is best to tune by plucking above the neck pickup (about 1/4 of string length) because of this, and found it indeed does help. Its all physics...the string has the maximum vibration (diameter) at 1/2 of total string length from fret to bridge. There are graphs and explanations online explaining what overtones are emphasized at what fractions, cant remember where though. A quick comparison of the tone of the neck pup vs the bridge pup will demonstrate how much mike/pup placement does affect tone.

Jerry's guitars had the pups shifted towards the bridge because of the 24 fret necks, and since it is the location rather than which coil is being used individual guitars may differ. This concept is also true of where you pick btw, with the same general result--pick towards middle of string length and you will get a fuller bassier tone than picking close to the bridge (or nut for that matter).

There are neat tricks like strumming across the strings 12 frets up from a barre chord ringing and getting flashy harmonics. People like Tommy Emmanuel do it often, with amazing results.
Last edited by tatittle on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatittle
Billy
Billy

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby RiseandFall » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:46 am

There are neat tricks like strumming across the strings 12 frets up from a barre chord ringing and getting flashy harmonics. People like Tommy Emmanuel do it often, with amazing results.

There is this guy named Bob Weir that does that alot too...
8)
RiseandFall
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Pfallon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:14 am

Hi, This is my first post in this forum. I have built several solidbody electrics, wired basically like strats. I'm looking to wire my latest guitar as close to the Tiger as I can afford.
my question is at his point; What are the exact distances of the individual PU coils from the nut? I think the Tiger is 25 1/2" scale. With 24 fretts, that compresses the PU locations from the standard Strat locations. If anyone has this info, that would be great! Im ready to start my brass 3 HB surround plate, if ant one has any tips on lay out or cutting out the PU holes let me know.
THX,Pat
The notes fell like raindrops on the velvet landscape of my mind
Pfallon
tiger
tiger

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 am

Pfallon wrote:Hi, This is my first post in this forum. I have built several solidbody electrics, wired basically like strats. I'm looking to wire my latest guitar as close to the Tiger as I can afford.
my question is at his point; What are the exact distances of the individual PU coils from the nut? I think the Tiger is 25 1/2" scale. With 24 fretts, that compresses the PU locations from the standard Strat locations. If anyone has this info, that would be great! Im ready to start my brass 3 HB surround plate, if ant one has any tips on lay out or cutting out the PU holes let me know.
THX,Pat

The measurements are here :smile: viewtopic.php?f=419&t=11692&hilit=pickup+distance&start=30
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Pfallon » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:51 am

Hey Thanks HG, that was easy! BTW Im from Roch. NY where are you in USNY?
The notes fell like raindrops on the velvet landscape of my mind
Pfallon
tiger
tiger

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:04 am

Pfallon wrote:Hey Thanks HG, that was easy! BTW Im from Roch. NY where are you in USNY?

You're welcome, Pfallon! I'm in Wurtsboro, NY. About 3hrs or so southeast of Roch. :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone