this is for all you "jerry" amp experts...

this is for all you "jerry" amp experts...

Postby guitarcats » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:57 am

I have done a bit of searching but so far have had no luck. I have a 65 Fender DRRI that I want to modify so its close to getting a Jerry like tone. Since I just dropped a wad on getting my Phiga Wolf, is there any mods that I can do to my amp without breaking the bank? Thanks in advance!!
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: this is for all you "jerry" amp experts...

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:27 am

Sure... plenty.

You should visit Waldo's site:

www.wald-electronics.com

He's got a lot of preamp info. The Deluxe Reverb Reissue does a good job of sticking with the classic circuit. That circuit is very nearly the same as the Twin Reverb except instead of a midrange knob/pot, it's just a 6.8k fixed resistor.

But you can start by replacing the 100k plate resistors on the main preamp tubes with the Dale RN70 100k types. You can change the two tone-stack capacitors (.1uf and .047uF) for a pair of .022uF SBE Orange Drop 225p types. You can change the treble cap (250pf) to silver mica type. You can change the 22uf cathode bypass capacitors to Sprague 150d mil-spec tantalum types. And also there are other film cap's in the signal path that can be upgraded to the 225p Orange Drop types. Waldo's marked up schematic should help. There are more little places to tweak, but these are some good main places to make the amp more Jerry-like.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby guitarcats » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:04 am

Thank you sir for the info. I will bring my amp in and have some work done.
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jeager » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:49 pm

You might let people know where you are and ask who in your area they have used for amp work etc... In case your not sure about a good tech in your neck of the woods.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby guitarcats » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:56 pm

jeager wrote:You might let people know where you are and ask who in your area they have used for amp work etc... In case your not sure about a good tech in your neck of the woods.

I live in MN and already have a place. Its Savage Audio who makes the Savage guitar amps.
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Bobbyg » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Maybe you've already done this, but putting a JBL K-120 really helps too!
Bobbyg
Keith
Keith

Postby bstormwind » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:18 pm

....definitely speaker first. A jbl speaker and dialing in the tone - turning the bass way down and treble up, will get you into some sweet Jerry tone zones without any mods. The mods will put the icing on the cake.
bstormwind
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby guitarcats » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Bobbyg wrote:Maybe you've already done this, but putting a JBL K-120 really helps too!

I installed a cannabis rex in last year and really like it so far. My plan is to start small with mods to the preamp and then sometime next year have it made into a head and get a 2x12 cabinet with the jbl's.
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:16 pm

I did some reissue mods and found the tone stack (tone controls) and the plate resistors (Dale metal film) really made it sing. BE CAREFUL soldering on the board. You can burn the board easily without using proper soldering technique/skill. The good thing about the PCB is that the components are clearly marked within the circuit for weekend warrior amp techs to find easily.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Return to Jerry Tone