Non-buffered effects loops

Non-buffered effects loops

Postby playingdead » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:39 am

Just a note of caution for folks thinking about adding an onboard effects loop to a guitar without using the unity gain buffer ... I recently acquired a lefty preowned Scott Walker Santa Cruz. Scott originally built the guitar with the customized Jangletone buffer that included a separate volume boost. The original owner had Scott remove the buffer and just wire in a blaster, that's how the guitar came to me.

When I plugged in a Q-Tron to try out the effects loop before making the guitar available for sale, I was greeted with an ear-splitting feedback screech when the envelope was triggered with a hard attack on the note. It kept doing that, and exhibited the same behavior with a Boss OD-2r pedal, although, curiously, only when a single pickup was used, it wouldn't do it with both pickups on.

After a little back and forth with Scott, Brad and Waldo, it seemed there was some crosstalk involved that was causing the screeching. Both recommended trying a buffer in there to see.

I had my friend Ned come over last night with his soldering iron and we installed a buffer into the guitar, and, presto, the effects loop works perfectly. We also put in Scott's latest version of the blaster with a separate boost volume control that he's been working on with Steve Kimock, and it is awesome, you can dial in a small boost to a big boost to really get the overdrive happening with a flip of the toggle. Highly recommended.

Hope that might be helpful to some of you builders out there ...

And a big thanks to Ned, Scott, Brad and Waldo for their input and assistance.

playingdead

Re: Non-buffered effects loops

Postby search4sound » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:32 pm

That's one beautiful looking and sounding guitar. Sounds great having the buffer always on and the blaster on or off at the flip of a switch. Had to move the tone before the buffer, but that was easy. Glad there was room for both buffer and blaster. --Ned
search4sound
Vince
Vince

Postby playingdead » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey Ned ... Scott Walker says he owes you one!

I laughed when I read what I wrote just now, I said "we" installed the buffer ... YOU installed it.
playingdead

Postby Jon S. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:41 am

John Mara gets to say "We won the Superbowl" and you get to say "We installed the buffer." ;)

Congrats on the sweet axe.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby claytushaywood » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:25 pm

man i really want to own one of those scott walkers one day. I cant believe anyone would buy a fender or gibson custom shop with stuff like that availablle! Did you get that phoenix on ebay that went for like $3500? unbelievable. such cool designs
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Return to Jerry Tone