Thanks Waldo and RuKind members!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Waldo and RuKind members!!!!!!!!!!

Postby hawk900 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 pm

This would be my fourth sg and with the help of waldo and waldo's site and certain members here have achieved a nice raw 80's Jerry tone.
the youtube description describes the setup with waldo's tcp-1always on with bypassable fx loop and McIntosh mods,fender tone stack mods(preamp). Feeding two JBL e120's with one connected two an orignial fender spring tank reverb at 1/3rd.
Just some noodling and space and some twangy low notes with He's Gone(cut) and then the Standing on the moon outtro with modded ds-1 distortion pedal.
ps. Try and make it through the first 2mins of space.

http://youtu.be/3f3e8AJ25sM

hawk.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Thanks Waldo and RuKind members!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Pete B. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 am

I too give a big +1 to Waldo and the RuKind brethren. :hail:

hawk900 wrote:This would be my fourth sg...

Gotta love the SG factor, eh?!
hawk900 wrote:... Feeding two JBL e120's with one connected two an orignial fender spring tank reverb at 1/3rd.

I sometimes run a 2x12 cab with one speaker dry, and one speaker with the reverb knob on 10... then I blend the dry signal, and the reverb drenched lush signal, with the volume knobs of a Mac MC250 to get an overall tone/blend going.
Is that basically what you are doing when you say: "with one connected two an orignial fender spring tank reverb at 1/3rd"?
Are you running two separate pre-amps to the Mac, with one dry signal, and one with the reverb on 3.333333-ish?
Pete B.

Postby mijknahs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:09 pm

I wonder it that's what Jerry was doing in the early 70's when they were tapping the preamp's normal channel and reverb channel at the same time (one dry and one wet)?

Pete B. wrote:I sometimes run a 2x12 cab with one speaker dry, and one speaker with the reverb knob on 10... then I blend the dry signal, and the reverb drenched lush signal, with the volume knobs of a Mac MC250 to get an overall tone/blend going.
Is that basically what you are doing when you say: "with one connected two an orignial fender spring tank reverb at 1/3rd"?
Are you running two separate pre-amps to the Mac, with one dry signal, and one with the reverb on 3.333333-ish?
mijknahs

Postby waldo041 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:25 pm

the normal channel was used for the guitar extension cab on the other side of the stage. whether it used the fender reverb unit seen in one photo is not known but is plausible.

oh and no thanks needed here. thank those who originally designed all the mods, healy and cutler. i just relay the info.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mgbills » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Waldo,

You're too modest. Imagine if all those folks from the GD family (Healy, etc.) had to entertain questions from every one of us Bozo's (I"m speaking mostly of myself here :? ). All these details would just be lost...

You've created the road map. Doesn't matter that you didn't build the original road.

Peace to all.

M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:15 pm

mgbills wrote:Waldo,

You're too modest. Imagine if all those folks from the GD family (Healy, etc.) had to entertain questions from every one of us Bozo's (I"m speaking mostly of myself here :? ). All these details would just be lost...

You've created the road map. Doesn't matter that you didn't build the original road.

Peace to all.

M

+1
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby JustinJohn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Seriously - I've learned so much, and have still much to learn from this site. Hats off to all youz guyz.

:cool:
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hawk900 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:07 am

No Waldo You got down brother.
Just refurbished an orig mutron3 guts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7dlCZJz ... re=related

Here's some shots of the final phase. The bridge pup has an sds-1 core with a piezo inphase waxdipped to give that cripe tone. I still toggle north an south coils on the mid pup and the neck pup is wired strickly parrallel. I also scrapped out my russian birch cab and house my two jbl's in a carbon coated black cab thats heavily insulated in the side but about 2/3's open in the back. What a richer yet clear sound difference. Note thats the cab jer moved on to.

Here's my brand new driver card jerry modded McIntosh 2100 with tapped red light cooling fans,1/4 jacks and new pots.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Jon S. » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm extremely grateful to everyone for all of the wonderful info. and support I've gotten here over the years and all I've learned. As just one quick example, my luthier and I would probably still be trying to figure out where we went wrong with the UGB and OBEL wiring on my first Jerrycaster without Waldo's real-time wiring help.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby hawk900 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Oh yeah waldo's service and replies are fast and on the ball. The best thing about this site is that when we post something like eg. small tweaks,circuit options,phasing magnets with reverse wiring,etc. Everyone jumps in and we walk out of the topic all agreeing and some of us immediately breakin out the soldering equipment.
In the last few years seriously my arsenal of different era combo guitars and the tone they put out are crisper,crunchier,like crystal. Between us here and our love of the ultimate tone 99% of main stream guitar players just throw a few pedals together and an amp and say "that's my tone" makes be bust a gut. I love it. Some mornings i'll fire up a raw circuit board tubed bandmaster pre amp and feed it into my 2100 will all brand new guts and some blended tapped dimarzio's and it sounds like strummin a giant gold harp.
Dust off those rusty strings one more time.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Return to Jerry Tone