Can SMS Classic be run safely w/Mosvalve MV962 in a 3U rack?

Re: Can SMS Classic be run safely w/Mosvalve MV962 in a 3U r

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:16 am

I'm not trying to discolor the peformance of a Mcintosh. They are awesome. Not rack or back friendly, but awesome. With that said and after much concideration and pondering I ended up buying this QSC PLX 1202. A buddy and I AB'd it with his Mc2300. We used my SMS classic with Jerry mod for pre amp (thanks again for making them, Brad!), and two 2x12 E120 cabs. We both agreed right away that they are so similar sounding that it is hard to tell any diffenence at all! We tried every combination of ohms/watts and could not hear any real difference between these two amps. We have done this comparison with several power amps including the Rocktron V300, Crown 500 watt (can't remember the model) and a couple of Mosvalves, one being the MV962. The QSC PLX series (1202 in this case) is the only one that we can't hear a any difference with! He still wouldn't trade me even for the 2300 :lol: , because of the cost difference, but he did agree that he would have bought the QSC if he had known how well it sounds compared to his 2300. Just another observation!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby mijknahs » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:32 pm

If you're looking on the lightest McIntosh, look for an MC50. I've seen a bunch on Ebay over the last couple years. They are fairly rare but not as rare as the MC100.

The MC50 is only 20 lbs. and I have carried them literally with one hand and/or under one arm. You can mount it in a rack if you're creative.

They put out about 70 watts without any distortion. Plenty for a 2x12" cab. Classic McIntosh sound.
mijknahs

Postby Bobbyg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:49 pm

mijknahs wrote:If you're looking on the lightest McIntosh, look for an MC50. I've seen a bunch on Ebay over the last couple years. They are fairly rare but not as rare as the MC100.

The MC50 is only 20 lbs. and I have carried them literally with one hand and/or under one arm. You can mount it in a rack if you're creative.

They put out about 70 watts without any distortion. Plenty for a 2x12" cab. Classic McIntosh sound.

+1

I have a 2U rack with Furman Conditioner and SMS. And I going to figure out how to put my MC50 in a 3U rack. Along with my K120 this is a super light combo.
Bobbyg
Keith
Keith

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone