Can SMS Classic be run safely w/Mosvalve MV962 in a 3U rack?

Can SMS Classic be run safely w/Mosvalve MV962 in a 3U rack?

Postby Jon S. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:33 am

Without overheating one or both units? Thanks.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: Can SMS Classic be run safely w/Mosvalve MV962 in a 3U r

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:41 am

Should be fine. I can't think of any reason either would over heat.
Here is the manual: http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/tw/ ... Manual.pdf :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:56 am

Indeed, it was from having read the manual and viewing the amp that I was concerned. The manual says:

· A certain amount of heat during operation is normal. The MosValve amplifier is biased in a
manner in which even when idling there is some heat present. It is best to keep the amplifier
towards the bottom of the rack (coolest air) and avoid obstructions to the vents in the
case.

And the amp appears, from pics of it, to vent from the top.

This is why I'm concerned as to the wisdom of putting my SMS Classic Preamp on top of one in a 3U rack.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Pete B. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 am

I have an Alembic F2B riding right on top of a 962. It's in a 4 space rack with an Alembic F2B, Lexicon LXP-1, and MossValve 962.
I usually don't have it on for more than a few hours at at a time. So far no overwhelming heat issue, but yeah, it seems like you are covering up the vents. If you look at it from the backside there is a little space... not a complete obstruction.
I defer to Brad on the the SMS.
I got to finally try an SMS the other day, and they sound great!
We tried out several combos of front vs. back Gain/Output knob settings, with standard Jerry EQ settings.
It seemed like the knob on the back should be in the 50%-80%-on range, with the front Gain around 11 o'clock.
I liked the Reverb, too.
Nice unit!
Pete B.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:57 am

Ohhhhhhhh, I thought you were concerned about something electrical. :lol:
As far as heat goes, I would want one empty rack spece between them concidering the vents for the Mosvalve are on top. I don't have that problem right now using the QSC because it has a fan that blows from back thru the front vents..no top vents. So the QSC is fine on the bottom with the SMS on top in a 3 umit rack. I would think you need 4 spaces...one empty for air circulation.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby eric » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:29 am

Jon , just curious as to what u feel the rocktron was lacking sonically ?
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Jon S. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm actually still experimenting with the Rocktron - trying different combinations of settings on both the SMS and the power amp - so I'm not certain I can yet fully answer your question. But the Rocktron sounds and feels to me just as advertised - it sounds and feels like a real guitar amp - whereas the tones I'm after would be somewhat more transparent (if that makes sense).
Jon S.

Postby TRG » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 pm

I know you were asking about a 3U, but figure I'd chime in with a 4U persepctive. I have the SMS and Mosvalvle MV962 in a 4U with the MV962 on the bottom, space and then the SMS up in the top spot. Have not had any issues.
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby strumminsix » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Jon S. wrote:I'm actually still experimenting with the Rocktron - trying different combinations of settings on both the SMS and the power amp - so I'm not certain I can yet fully answer your question. But the Rocktron sounds and feels to me just as advertised - it sounds and feels like a real guitar amp - whereas the tones I'm after would be somewhat more transparent (if that makes sense).

Firstly, they MV's do indeed get hot. I've ran mine in a 4U and it was okay.

I think you'll find that MV's sound like real guitar amps. But they are super clear :)
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 pm

I would think you could just put the SMS on the bottom, since heat rises, and there is generally an inch or two of room on the top of the top item in the rack. With front and rear covers off, it should be okay. You could also get a small, quiet rack fan to keep the air circulating.

I'd probably opt for a four-space rack to get a power conditioner in there, but I'd still be inclined to put the preamp below the power amp.

When they are saying "the coolest air is in the bottom of the rack" they're probably referring to those big 12-20 space racks people use.
playingdead

Postby Jon S. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Or I could take the 2U I currently have my Fuman P1800 AR in (that and an empty space), put an MV-962 in that, move the P1800 AR to the top of my current 3U rack, move the SMS that's now on the top of that to the bottom where the Rocktron RV300 is now (with an empty space between the P1800 AR and SMS), and set the rig up that way with the 3U rack on top of the 2U rack. The added inconvenience would be having to connect and disconect the SMS and MV-962 each time from each other to move the rig but that's not so bad.

3U:
top - P1800 AR
middle - empty
bottom - SMS
2U:
MV-962
SPEAKER CAB

Or another option could be to put the SMS and Furman together in the 2U and an MV-962 alone in the 3U though the manual for the Furman suggests some separation between it and the other components, too (for reasons of clarity, not heat).

And of course, it's always an option to cop a new 4U rack (but I've got so much crap at my place already :oops: ).

Not to mention I don't currently have an MV-962 yet anyway. :lol:
Jon S.

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Jon S. wrote:I'm actually still experimenting with the Rocktron - trying different combinations of settings on both the SMS and the power amp - so I'm not certain I can yet fully answer your question. But the Rocktron sounds and feels to me just as advertised - it sounds and feels like a real guitar amp - whereas the tones I'm after would be somewhat more transparent (if that makes sense).

In other words, Jon wanted to buy a new toy! :lol:

Just kidding! I'm right there with you, Mosvalves are fantastic amps, and from what I heard of your Rocktron, it does the job just fine!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Jon,

Get an MC50 or MC250. They sound better than the MosValve. I have a MosValve and it isn't that much different from the Rocktron.
mijknahs

Postby Jon S. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to take your advice, mijknahs, pass on the Mosvalve I've been tracking (it's a beauty, too), and hold out for a McIntosh, however long it may take.
Jon S.

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:57 pm

I didn't know your were considering a MAC. You will like that much better than any of the amps on the market for a rack system. But for a rack amp the Mosvalve is a good amp, but not a mac for sure. Find a MC250 and mount it to a rack so you can protect and carry it. You will be most happy with that route if getting a more authentic sounding jerry tone is at hand here....
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Next

Return to Jerry Tone