Super Champ Head

Super Champ Head

Postby rkubik » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 am

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new Super Champ Head? I have been looking to get rid of my 30 watt Marshall and go with the SuperChamp XD for some at home stuff but I now see this and think it might be a better option. Wanted to get some input before I head over to GC and try one out. Any input is appreciated.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Super Champ Head

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:49 pm

If I was looking for a low-powered newer Fender amp for home use, I'd be leaning towards something like the Princeton Reverb RI, and away from modeling amps. It's too bad that they hijacked the Super Champ name from the awesome little point-to-point tube amp of the early 80's.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Have you ever played a SC XD?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Jon S. wrote:Have you ever played a SC XD?

Yes, briefly in-store. Not horrible, but not in anyway comparable to the original SC. A nice tube preamp is the starting point of any rig imho, and a solid state power section is preferred, so as a Garcia-oriented rig, the concept is kinda backward.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:15 am

It's not a Garcia-style rig. The OP is considering it to replace a Marshall. At around the cost of some of today's pedals, there's not much to hate about this new option. Myself, I've long wished Fender would issue more head versions of their amps. I hope a Blues Junior head is next.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby rkubik » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 am

I should have been more clear in my OP that I am not considering this for a Jerry style rig. The Champ has gotten some good reviews especially bang for your buck and I have played a few of the combos at GCand liked them but this new head will offer me a little more flexibility in terms of speakers as I already have some cabs. While it is still affordable and won't shake my house foundation or wake up my kids. I don't gig or perform and while I would love a Twin or a "typical" Jerry rig I can't justify the money when I can't stretch them out to full potential.

While I like the Marshall I would like something else and right now this seems to be about my best option for the money I am willing to spend and just looking for some insight. Thanks for the comments so far. I always take the information on this board seriously and appreciate everyone that comments.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:32 am

Jon S. wrote:It's not a Garcia-style rig. The OP is considering it to replace a Marshall. At around the cost of some of today's pedals, there's not much to hate about this new option. Myself, I've long wished Fender would issue more head versions of their amps. I hope a Blues Junior head is next.

It's a 30 pound amp already. Would a 22# head and a 22# cabinet really be better? I understand bad necks and backs but let's also take into account the lifting and carrying and twisting motions double which is also a risk. BTW, have you tried the jazz ultralight?

rkubik wrote:I should have been more clear in my OP that I am not considering this for a Jerry style rig.

I think that's the confusion. You post this in a Jerry Tone section but not looking for Jerry tone. Not that there's anything wrong with it :lol:
strumminsix

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:33 am

You're projecting your personal weight concerns now onto someone who has expressed none. And he posed his question here because he trusts us! :D
Jon S.

Postby rkubik » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 am

I am not concerned with weight. I will not be moving extensively once I get into place. I am more concerned with cost and variety. I also like the blues Jr and am also considering it, but cost is also an issue. The few hundred buck wouldn't be that big of a deal but I am finishing an SG project and still need to buy pick-ups and hardware and would rather have a new amp and be able to complete the guitar rather than have it sit for another year incomplete.

I posted in the Jerry tone section because there were previous posts directly related to the super champ and other smaller amps to get bedroom tone. Next time I will post in the general :-) I will try the ultralight if you recommend it. I just want something different than the Marshall. In retrospect I wish I would have done more research when I first bought it. It was my first amp and while I got a good deal on it and it has been good to me it wasn't really what I was looking for. The next practice amp I am going to buy I want to keep for a long time.

I appreciate the input
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:57 am

Jon S. wrote:You're projecting your personal weight concerns now onto someone who has expressed none. And he posed his question here because he trusts us! :D

Projecting? I think not. Firstly, you've stated weight concerns in the past.

Secondly, this is the "Jerry tone" section. If he didn't want "Jerry tone" I'm surprised he posted here and that may be why he didn't get alot of responses.

rkubik - it was more of an observation than anything. What exactly are you looking for? Who are you trying to sound like? I'm pretty much in the small amp camp and currently own: Pro Jr (15w EL84 w/o reverb), Blues Jr (15w EL84 w/ reverb), Deluxe reverb (22w 6v6). Of which the EL84s have more of a Weir jangle (love them tubes) while the 6v6 has more of the Jerry sound. I will say this, however, I can't any of them even 25% up in my jam space without ear pain.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a single EL84 type amp for home playing. Been checking out a few models found here:
http://www.jedistar.com/low_watt_amps.htm
strumminsix

Postby Jon S. » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 am

This is not my thread nor is it about me or an amp I'm seeking. Later.
Jon S.

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:58 am

Jon S. wrote:This is not my thread nor is it about me or an amp I'm seeking. Later.

What's your problem?! You commented in a thread, I quoted your comment and replied to your comment.

Isn't that how forums work and did something change overnight?!
strumminsix

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:22 pm

how is the x2 different from the xd? I have the xd and love it
caspersvapors

Postby cousindave79 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:22 am

Buy the amp. Take it home. Play it with your pedals and guitars. If you like it you keep it. If it sounds like crap, take it back. Simple. Doesn't matter how much it weighs.
That's like your opinion man. Peace.
cousindave79
tiger
tiger

Return to Jerry Tone