Post your jerry rig soundclips!

Re: Post your jerry rig soundclips!

Postby RiseandFall » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:33 am

Tcsned.....
Sounds great! I'd have to say at first glance the SF Wolf sounds best but I need a few more listens to really noodle out the differences.
I'm curious how you have your knobs set on the SMS pre-amp.
The whirlwind impressed me.
Thanks for posting this.
RiseandFall
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby MattMan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:54 am

Scarlet Fire was the most Jerry tone imo, with IO practically the same. Next tone test, I recommend no delay so that we can really hear the nuances of the guitar tones. Good stuff!
MattMan
Billy
Billy

Postby tcsned » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks! The SMS is set with treble all the way up the mids usually between 4-5, lows at 0. Looking at the video, the treble seems to be turned way down - might be shadows or maybe the knob got bumped. I'll check it out.

Good call on turning the delay off. I may redo it when I have my '79 Strat at home. My stepdaughter has been playing it.

As far as Jerry-tone I agree the Wolf and the Tele Brian modded are the most Jerry-ish. I think the redwood guitar has the best acoustic tone. The Barden humbuckers are my favorite pickups. The Les Paul has the most balls
tcsned

Postby milobender » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Very interesting Tom "o) I agree the Scarlet Wolf has the closest Jerry sound... I noticed though that you have the Blaster on with the Wolf, and just the Wald Buffer on the Tele. It would be interesting to hear what the Tele sounds like with the Blaster on too, to see if that ups the high end a bit. (And the Wolf with just the buffer) It sounds to me like the Wolf has a bit more in the highs, it's got more bite. May be the materials in the build too. Cool!
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby tcsned » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:11 pm

milobender wrote:Very interesting Tom "o) I agree the Scarlet Wolf has the closest Jerry sound... I noticed though that you have the Blaster on with the Wolf, and just the Wald Buffer on the Tele. It would be interesting to hear what the Tele sounds like with the Blaster on too, to see if that ups the high end a bit. (And the Wolf with just the buffer) It sounds to me like the Wolf has a bit more in the highs, it's got more bite. May be the materials in the build too. Cool!

It's funny, on a recent video where I played one set on the Wolf and the other on the Tele, I got the closest to what I hear as Jerry's tone with the Tele. I was playing a lot of guitars so I didn't play with knobs and switches. Maybe a head-to-head with the Wolf and Tele would be a good idea :D

There are a lot of variables, especially with the super cool electronics in the Tele. It does a pretty badass late 60s tone with the P94 pickups.
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm

RiseandFall wrote:Tcsned.....
Sounds great! I'd have to say at first glance the SF Wolf sounds best but I need a few more listens to really noodle out the differences.
I'm curious how you have your knobs set on the SMS pre-amp.
The whirlwind impressed me.
Thanks for posting this.

I checked and the treble was all the way up, it was the light in the video that didn't look that way.

I was impressed with the Whirlwind in the video. I don't use it much on stage, I've had trouble getting to sound right to my ears at gig volumes. I usually use the Dr Swamp for higher gain stuff and the Earth Drive for lower gain.
tcsned

Postby kurt eye » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:06 pm

tcsned wrote:I was messing around seeing how different guitars

Cool video! The wolf and tele both sound Jerry-tastic. The John McKenna guitar is very unique sounding. Funny how an amazing guitar like a '78 Les Paul just doesn't sound right.
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby kurt eye » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:14 pm

MattMan wrote:Here's a Jerry Tone test with my =Hemp reconed K120 with paper dustcap.

How do you like the speaker? I can't get a true representation on my lap top, but it sounds good. The distortion tones seems to be most notably different.
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby bluemule » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:51 pm

Where's the like button. Would love to see some of this live. Anyone playing around Chicago soon?
Facebook Songsmith Instruments
bluemule
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tcsned » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:55 am

kurt eye wrote:

Cool video! The wolf and tele both sound Jerry-tastic. The John McKenna guitar is very unique sounding. Funny how an amazing guitar like a '78 Les Paul just doesn't sound right.

I like the Les Paul through the rig, not very Jerry for sure but it has some mojo, especially with the Earth Drive. I think I'm gonna play it at one of my gigs this weekend. I'll see how it does with the full band. It's been out of commission for a few years.
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:08 am

tcsned wrote:
kurt eye wrote:

I like the Les Paul through the rig, not very Jerry for sure but it has some mojo, especially with the Earth Drive. I think I'm gonna play it at one of my gigs this weekend. I'll see how it does with the full band. It's been out of commission for a few years.

I gigged with the Les Paul last weekend for the first time in probably 20 years. Only used it on a couple of tunes but it sounded pretty good. One Dead tune and one more traditional Les Paul-ish song - I think it held up pretty well through my Jerry rig. Definitely not a traditional Jerry tone but still pretty decent IMHO.

tcsned

Postby Jedstein » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:41 am

I think the Les Paul sounds great, man! Of course -- not a Jerry tone -- but it was perfect for both those tunes and I'm sure it was a fun change of pace. Definitely worked! Were you driving it with the earthdrive at the end of Deal?
Jedstein
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby tcsned » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:17 am

Jedstein wrote:I think the Les Paul sounds great, man! Of course -- not a Jerry tone -- but it was perfect for both those tunes and I'm sure it was a fun change of pace. Definitely worked! Were you driving it with the earthdrive at the end of Deal?

I'm pretty sure it was the Earth Drive, might have been the low gain setting on the Dr Swamp but sounds like the Earth Drive. I had the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser on too. That's a cool pedal that I don't use to its potential.
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:28 am

tcsned wrote:
Jedstein wrote:I think the Les Paul sounds great, man! Of course -- not a Jerry tone -- but it was perfect for both those tunes and I'm sure it was a fun change of pace. Definitely worked! Were you driving it with the earthdrive at the end of Deal?

I'm pretty sure it was the Earth Drive, might have been the low gain setting on the Dr Swamp but sounds like the Earth Drive. I had the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser on too. That's a cool pedal that I don't use to its potential.

I take that back, it was the T-Rex Dr Swamp on low gain at the end. I had the Earth Drive on for the rest of the tune and switched for the ending.
tcsned

Postby MattMan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi Folks,

I've got a very nice clip of my friend Brian Avigne playing Promised Land and Tennessee Jed on his Wolf clone through an Earth Drive > Hughes and Kettner Blues Master > Mcintosh MC2300 < JBL E120.

Brian plays in an awesome Detroit-based band called Dead Again.

Here's a nice clip from their recent Halloween shows at the Magic Bag. Video was recorded by Mitch Barnett from Document-Everything.

Let me know what you think. MattMan

Last edited by MattMan on Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattMan
Billy
Billy

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone