Presence Knob? Boogie Mk1 RI

Presence Knob? Boogie Mk1 RI

Postby JamminJommy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello all!

I've been playing around with the presence and I can't quite get the tone in the top end I'm looking for. It's a true bone-stock Mk I re-issue which I run through an Eminence Patriot "Texas-Heat" or more recently my ceramic Weber "California." I run the treble between 8-10, bass 0, mid 4-6. But no matter where I set that presence knob, I'm not happy with the tone. I'm using input 2 with the volume at 4.5 and the master volume usually between 2-4. Any suggestions?

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Presence Knob? Boogie Mk1 RI

Postby caspersvapors » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:30 pm

one thing Ive learned about dialing in amps is, the controls on every amp are different and dont be afraid to think outside the box. It seems to me like youre trying to dial in your Boogie the same way Jerry dialed in his Twins pre-amp in order to cop some Jerry-like tones but that might not work because youre playing through a different amp altogether. I have never really spent much time with Boogies so I cant really help you but I would just try turning knobs all different ways and listening to the effects each one has rather than looking at numbers. Fenders have an abundance of Bass so thats why Jerry dialed his way down - which Im not sure is the case with Mesas.

Ive found my best lead tone with my pedal setup going into my Pro Reverb is with the Bass-3, Treble-3 and bright on, so go figure. Then again Im not playing in a Dead band.
caspersvapors

Re: Presence Knob? Boogie Mk1 RI

Postby Grant » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Keep in mind the presence affects the power amp
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Return to Jerry Tone