Need advice on rack configuration

Need advice on rack configuration

Postby MichaelCarolina » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:23 am

I have read through a numer of posts on this, but wanted to recycle the question right before getting it set up.

Currently, planning on having preamp and power amp in one shock mount rack. The other rack would then hold conditioner, tuner, GCX and effect drawer. Or could split that into two with conditioner and tuner in one and effects and switcher in a standalone. I assume stacking the rack cases is a stable proposition. Andrew Olson is planning to make the cabling and fit it all into the racks efficiently.

One specific question is how the tuner fits into the picture to enable quick mid gig tuning breaks like I get from my Boss floor tuner. Also wondered if anyone could spot something I am missing with this plan.

Sorry for the rehash. Thanks for reading.
MichaelCarolina
tiger
tiger

Re: Need advice on rack configuration

Postby strumminsix » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:32 am

MichaelCarolina wrote:I have read through a numer of posts on this, but wanted to recycle the question right before getting it set up.

Currently, planning on having preamp and power amp in one shock mount rack. The other rack would then hold conditioner, tuner, GCX and effect drawer. Or could split that into two with conditioner and tuner in one and effects and switcher in a standalone. I assume stacking the rack cases is a stable proposition. Andrew Olson is planning to make the cabling and fit it all into the racks efficiently.

One specific question is how the tuner fits into the picture to enable quick mid gig tuning breaks like I get from my Boss floor tuner. Also wondered if anyone could spot something I am missing with this plan.

Sorry for the rehash. Thanks for reading.

only have a minute:
put the tuner in a GCX loop
yup stacking is good
I'd to a power conditioner in each - allows separating and fast setup!
strumminsix

Postby MichaelCarolina » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks Strumming. Had not thought about two conditioners. Cool idea.
MichaelCarolina
tiger
tiger

Postby MichaelCarolina » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:53 am

Sorry. The iPad added the "g." This thing has a mind of its own.
MichaelCarolina
tiger
tiger

Postby playingdead » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 am

Here's how I did it with the split racks:

I had a 4-space with a power conditioner, Egnater M4 preamp (2 spaces) and the Real Tube Reverb. The six space rack had the GCX, tuner, a Roland effects unit, and the pedal drawer, plus an extra empty space. I used 3M Dual Lock to fix a regular power strip to the back floor of the 6-space rack, plugged everything in that rack into that. When I set up, I would just take the cable from the power strip and plug it into the power conditioner on the 4-space rack. That way, everything ran off the same AC line from the house power.

For the tuner, I just used the extra feed thru line out on the GCX to the tuner; I didn't use it in a loop. It was nice because with the onboard effects loop, you could just flick the loop on, turn off the master volume on the guitar, and tune away.

My loops on the Ground Control Pro were 1) Octave 2) Q-Tron 3) Phaser 4) OD-2r 5) Wah (off the Roland rack) 6) EQ 7) DD-7 delay 8) DD-7 tap tempo.

playingdead

Postby Tony6Strings » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:13 am

Holy cow, playingdead! :shock: That thing looks like a freaking spaceship!!! Any hope in getting some good JG tone with a simpler setup? IE a Fender silverface amp and a Strat? As cool as that looks I just ain't got that kind of cheddar right now...
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby playingdead » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:18 am

Tell you what, my Fender Jerry Caster sounds pretty damn good plugged straight into my Vibrolux reissue ...

Middle Super II single coil, good Fender amp with reverb. That's really all you need!
playingdead

Postby Jon S. » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:17 pm

My rig looks like a Volkswagon compared to that last Cadillac but FWIW, I, too, have my pre and power amps in the same rack and everything else in a second rack. It's just that in my case, everything else IS the voltage regulator/conditioner (I use a Line 6 M13 now for all of my effects and tuner)! :oops:

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby saylorsong » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:16 am

This just came through my google alerts.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/2797724427.html

Looks like a good price for the Real Tube Reverb for anyone living in the Boston area.

When I was looking to buy one a couple months ago, I couldn't find one out there for less than $500

Hopes it finds a grate home.
saylorsong
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby Jerry1996x » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:08 am

Hello everyone. In the process of assembling a rack, and was looking for some advice on how many spaces i should leave for my pedals, which im going to mount vertically. Is 9 enough? I am using a Mutron, which is big and takes up a lot of space...
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:41 am

Jerry1996x wrote:Hello everyone. In the process of assembling a rack, and was looking for some advice on how many spaces i should leave for my pedals, which im going to mount vertically. Is 9 enough? I am using a Mutron, which is big and takes up a lot of space...

No clue to say without knowing what pedals you use. Most pedals will allow 3-4 wide and 4U tall if I recall correctly.

The next consideration is mounting. I'm not sure of rack lid depths but I do belive that you'd risk having the pedals pressed up against the door (bad).

So you'd likely want to build a structure which allows your pedals to sit a bit more.

All in all, I think it's overkill for many people (maybe not you!) to have 12U rack to store pedals vertically with a switcher type device. It'll take up alot of car space, stage space, etc for little reward.

Here's my Bobby rig. I'm very happy with my decision to angle my shelf and have access to some pedals but not others without diggin' in!

strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:01 am

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 am

waldo041 wrote:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MSRK/

peace,
waldo

That's perfect!
strumminsix

Return to Jerry Tone