All of jerry's guitar wiring diagrams close but wrong.

All of jerry's guitar wiring diagrams close but wrong.

Postby hawk900 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes most of it is correct but lets compare all the schems combined. eg,wolf,tiger(many variations),rosebud. Jerry played his strumming intro songs in parrallel mode, eg bertha,touch,eyes,etc. For lead he went to split coil mode(south coil). He never used series as far as humbuckers are concerned. Series is raunch. So you can either wire your axe with the neck parrallel(strumming) and middle pup coil split(lead) and never switch to standard series HB mode.
Only if you have an on/on/on dpdt this can never be configured and this is the only way to turn each HB pup into series/parrallel/single coil options.
I have yet to see a two positiom dpdt diagram that switches between parrallel and single coil mode.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: All of jerry's guitar wiring diagrams close but wrong.

Postby waldo041 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:45 pm

hawk900 wrote:Yes most of it is correct but lets compare all the schems combined. eg,wolf,tiger(many variations),rosebud. Jerry played his strumming intro songs in parrallel mode, eg bertha,touch,eyes,etc. For lead he went to split coil mode(south coil). He never used series as far as humbuckers are concerned. Series is raunch. So you can either wire your axe with the neck parrallel(strumming) and middle pup coil split(lead) and never switch to standard series HB mode.
Only if you have an on/on/on dpdt this can never be configured and this is the only way to turn each HB pup into series/parrallel/single coil options.
I have yet to see a two positiom dpdt diagram that switches between parrallel and single coil mode.

wolf would have been wired exactly like tiger. the latter day wolf, which my drawing is derived from, is clearly an attempt at resolving noise issues associated with having to use a blaster at 10db's of gain. the HS2 in the neck is pretty much a red flag at that as it was never seen in use live. furthermore, it is not a 3way on/on/on, it is only a 2way dpdt on/on which means it is series/parallel. it cannot do single coil mode.

jerry's main position is clearly middle pickup in single coil, he even states it himself. but to say he never used series mode is not true either. although it was not used much, there are some photos showing he did use it.

also, where did your research come from in your title of this thread? personal opinion? because i have looked inside several of these guitars and the drawings i have made come from his actual guitars. so i would love to know where your statement is derived from?

peace,
waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:16 pm

hawk900 wrote:He never used series as far as humbuckers are concerned. Series is raunch.

never say never!

here is an example of jerry using the middle pickup in HUMBUCKER!(gasp)

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:18 am

OMG, not this again! Waldo has invested a big part of his life researching, compiling and organizing a huge amount of information so we can all have it at our disposal with a few "clicks" and someone comes along and says it's wrong. LOL! Give him (and the rest of us) a break. The info on Waldo's site has been gone over with a very fine tooth comb many times even by the people who built Jerry's guitars and has been colaberated by them!
It's fine to have your own ideas. It's fine to make changes that you like better etc., but to say the wireing diagrams (backed up by pictures of the actual guitars and colaberated by the builder) are wrong is just plain INCORRECT!
It is always a good practice to have documented information before making rediculous claims. It's like knowing what your talking about before you speak.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:49 am

I was doing Jerry-fied guitars as early as 1988 for an old Dead band I was in back then. I was way into it, the whole setup. There's a lot more evidence and fact out there today to confirm things, but even back then, I found that there was simply no use for the parallel wiring (with the dual sound or super II) as it didn't resemble any Jerry tone I heard. I tried it. I had the full blown three position switch to experiment with the option, but eventually got rid of it. We did know back then that Jerry would toggle between split single and series humbucking. We could see him do it at shows very clearly, and Jerry and others would discuss this kind of thing with people.

Now that these actual guitars have literally been opened up and photographed, drawn out, and discussed with the actual folks who did the wiring themselves for Jerry, this has all been well confirmed, over and over again and again.

Parallel just wasn't a flavor used by Jerry with his middle or bridge pickups.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:51 am

Sometimes I feel we should all just go away and let the newcomers/naysayers start the whole research process over again and build up their own knowledge base from scratch. ...So those two cables coming from Jerry's guitar- they are for stereo output, yes?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby PaulJay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:21 am

Forgive us please don't leave. :hail: :-)
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:36 am

PaulJay wrote:Forgive us please don't leave. :hail: :-)

Actually I have left multiple times but there is no indication that anyone has ever noticed!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Jon S. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:30 pm

"Once in a while ..." It's best all around when newcomers respect oldtimers' efforts/commitment and oldtimers are patient with newcomers' questions and challenges to prevailing authority.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Well, sometimes I would make outrageous claims like, I invented the question mark. :?:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:10 am

tigerstrat wrote:Sometimes I feel we should all just go away and let the newcomers/naysayers start the whole research process over again and build up their own knowledge base from scratch. ...So those two cables coming from Jerry's guitar- they are for stereo output, yes?

I am eternally grateful to everyone who has given me advice over the last few years
8)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby milobender » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:43 am

Ditto! :smile:
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:23 am

I'm grateful too. This place is a think tank. I think that this particular thread is interesting because it happens to be one of those very, very specific topics of high interest that has been heavily and thoroughly investigated as well as field tested. Someone comes along and claims that everything that's been concluded is wrong, so it's natural that a few folks would jump to firmly correct the initial poster. Everyone here, for the most part, is pretty friendly. It's rarely personal, just information based.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Jon S. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:01 am

hawk900 wrote:I have yet to see a two positiom dpdt diagram that switches between parrallel and single coil mode.

Hyperbole aside, this would appear to be the "help wanted" part of the OP's post. I haven't seen such a diagram either but it wouldn't occur to me to view it as a concern. There are plenty of 3-way minitoggle diagrams for series/split/parallel. Just wire up those and don't use the series setting same as when someone with a Strat who never uses position 4 just ignores the switch position.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Adam Deckard » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:40 pm

Hawk this post was very informative. I often sit around pondering guitar schematics and their level of accuracy instead of playing my guitar, or hanging out with others and enjoying life.

Waldo, stop responding to all these guys who challenge your greatness. It is not worth your time. Everyone knows you are the man!

If I ever decided that I was so good at playing guitar like Jerry, that the only thing that could make me sound more like him (if I was that concerned lol ) was to modify my electric guitar, I would be one deluded individual.
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Next

Return to Jerry Tone