Alembic F-1X

Alembic F-1X

Postby claytushaywood » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:29 pm

I've heard this is based on the fender showman. i've even read this was what alembic made to improve the showman design and make it smaller. Anyone have any experience with this preamp? I know it doesnt have reverb, but i have a strymon blue sky pedal that i love much more than fender springs. anyways how are these things for jerry tone? ive noticed they are much more expenive than the sms... but they do come up for fairly cheap on bass forums often
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Re: Alembic F-1X

Postby waldo041 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:43 pm

nope, the Alembic F2B is what you speak of
http://www.alembic.com/prod/f2b.html

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Alembic F-1X

Postby claytushaywood » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:03 pm

What do you guys think about this preamp? I know it doesnt have reverb and it's pricey new, i met a dude that has one of these and said it's just like a super low noise twin pre. so besides reverb and price, a good choice for jerry tone?
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby zambiland » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Great preamp. It's not an all tube pre, the input and FX loop buffer are tube but the FX return and EQ make up gain are solid state. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I had a prototype I found used for $75 at Daddy's Junky Music in 1993 and played the hell out of it (and modified it with a post EQ FX loop as well as the pre EQ loop). The crossover is nice, too. However, I'm a bass player. For a guitarist, there's no reason to get this over the SMS Classic, or, if you want Alembic, the F2B. I prefer the SMS. It's cleaner sounding, has reverb and translates the tone of the instrument more clearly, IMHO. OTOH, the F2B does have a classic vibe. OT3H, the F1X is pretty great. Hell, they're all good! <whispers like Homer Simpson> "get the SMS!" </whisper>
zambiland

Postby zambiland » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:32 pm

The F1X is similar but isn't an all tube arrangement. See my other post. It's a great preamp, but more suitable for bass. I prefer it to the F2B for bass but prefer the SMS Classic to both. Advantage goes to the F1X if you need a crossover and DI and to the F2B if you need stereo. Otherwise, no reason not to go with the Classic.
zambiland

Postby strumminsix » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 am

merged both of claytus's threads on this.
strumminsix

Postby claytushaywood » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:51 am

Yeh sorry. i made a thread and then i couldn't find it. thought i forgot to finalize the original one or something. anyways... id love to get the sms classic. but here's some cool things about the alembic that are making me wonder about it. it can be found under $500 or even less on some forums and craigslist. i really dig the concept of fthe 2 channels. either going stereo or cascading with pre tone and post distortion tone controls. i was under the impression that the f1x was just a single channel version of the f2-b but the f1x was more of a guitar pre because of the bright switch. i dig the direct output and fx loop of the f1x too. id like to be able to record other instruments if im gonna be buying a standalone tube preamp. i also got a couple tech's locally that can build a custom version of the alembic for under $600, and i could combine some of these features.

any more opinions out there? i'm not gonna be disappointed if the alembic is not jerry like a power amp besides a mac is not jerry. know what im sayin? i'm trying to get a variety of tones from the eras- im not gonna be using super 2's and a mac and all the exact pedals. im just trying to get in that ballpark of clarity, singing sweet sustaining highs, punchy sspanky lows, with that 72 barely clipping singing overdrive sound. one day i'll have a full on 80's setup and a full on 70's setup with a tiger and a wolf.... maybe.

i see the revelation has some more options- how does it sound for jerry stuff? everybody just absolutely loves the sms which is amazing that there is absolutely nothing bad to be said about it. what makes it different? is there some topology he used to get lower noise? not much info on the website imo

thanks guys! sorry there's like 20 questions in this post
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:05 pm

claytushaywood wrote:Yeh sorry. i made a thread and then i couldn't find it. thought i forgot to finalize the original one or something. anyways... id love to get the sms classic. but here's some cool things about the alembic that are making me wonder about it. it can be found under $500 or even less on some forums and craigslist. i really dig the concept of fthe 2 channels. either going stereo or cascading with pre tone and post distortion tone controls. i was under the impression that the f1x was just a single channel version of the f2-b but the f1x was more of a guitar pre because of the bright switch. i dig the direct output and fx loop of the f1x too. id like to be able to record other instruments if im gonna be buying a standalone tube preamp. i also got a couple tech's locally that can build a custom version of the alembic for under $600, and i could combine some of these features.

any more opinions out there? i'm not gonna be disappointed if the alembic is not jerry like a power amp besides a mac is not jerry. know what im sayin? i'm trying to get a variety of tones from the eras- im not gonna be using super 2's and a mac and all the exact pedals. im just trying to get in that ballpark of clarity, singing sweet sustaining highs, punchy sspanky lows, with that 72 barely clipping singing overdrive sound. one day i'll have a full on 80's setup and a full on 70's setup with a tiger and a wolf.... maybe.

i see the revelation has some more options- how does it sound for jerry stuff? everybody just absolutely loves the sms which is amazing that there is absolutely nothing bad to be said about it. what makes it different? is there some topology he used to get lower noise? not much info on the website imo

thanks guys! sorry there's like 20 questions in this post

the f2b is a 1 tube preamp, while the classic is a 2 tube preamp. the sms utilizes the third gain stage that the vibrato side of a fender has.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Jerry Tone